• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Colchester v Tranmere

Match result

• Colchester

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colchester v Tranmere
Posted by Ian
Colchester Community Stadium
Saturday, March 25, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 25, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
My concern with the Dawes approach is that if we come across a good team and play like that we could get punished by a few goals. It is hard to judge after one game against mediocre opposition but it is a riskier style.
This season is over so the results are not that important for the remaining games

ADD

Player
Norwood
The ninety minute performances against Orient and Stevenage were actually better than today, but hey ho.

Colchester are a poor side and had not won in six, so it was not a particularly great result.
They were 2 months ago and 1 month ago respectively however and there has been some real dross since!

In any event the point about Colchester being a poor side is moot given we seem to do worse against such sides so this was an improvement. In our 3 games before yesterday we lost against Newport (9 points below us before the game), lost to Gillingham still 5 points below us despite that win and another since and could only draw against Hartlepool who are going down.

ADD

Player
Norwood
My concern with the Dawes approach is that if we come across a good team and play like that we could get punished by a few goals. It is hard to judge after one game against mediocre opposition but it is a riskier style.
Ian I agree especially as it was clearly work in progress as he has only had 5 days to work on it as Dawes said in his post match presser. Several times yes we played risky passes but at least we were trying to carry the ball forward in posession and I for one found the game far more enjoyable to watch as a result and as the team gel around that approach I think we will score more.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think ultimately the problem this season and last is that we were poor in the final third. Good football at times, easy on the eye, but toothless far too often.

Unfortunately it was the same yesterday so I can understand why after one game we don’t look too much different from mickys team.

That said it’s only one game. We have a winnable home game on Friday night and if Dawes wants the job then 3 points we’ll need to win

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
They were 2 months ago and 1 month ago respectively however and there has been some real dross since!

In any event the point about Colchester being a poor side is moot given we seem to do worse against such sides so this was an improvement. In our 3 games before yesterday we lost against Newport (9 points below us before the game), lost to Gillingham still 5 points below us despite that win and another since and could only draw against Hartlepool who are going down.
My point was that there were numerous performances under Mellon earlier in the season that were of similar, or better, quality than yesterday's, so the performance was not somehow revelatory.

If we judged form solely in periods of three or four weeks, we would be sacking a manager every two months.

Player
Manager
John King
if Dawes wants the job then 3 points we’ll need to win
I would hope there are plenty of options other than Dawes that will be considered in the coming weeks. Certainly if the ownership rumours are true, it seems unlikely he will be offered it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I would hope there are plenty of options other than Dawes that will be considered in the coming weeks. Certainly if the ownership rumours are true, it seems highly unlikely he will be offered it.
Yes I agree. As much as I like what he says I’d like to think we could attract something better

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The ownership interest seems a bit speculative at present. Sounds like enquiry made but, particularly with the current owners valuation, may be too big a gulf.

I agree that Dawes is unlikely to get the job full time. The exception might be if the Palioi remain in charge, no major investment and results/performances improve. Think his interim appointment is more an attempt to gauge the quality of the squad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What an excellent, and refreshing, post-match interview from Dawes.
I agree, but he's under no real pressure. The season is over, nothing to play for. He can change the system and get some slack while it beds in. Meanwhile, the journeymen are playing for a contract renewal, while the better players are trying to impress their suitors.

Micky's demeanour got worse as the season went on. I feel sure he realised he was on a loser with too many youngsters, no true leaders and and an average budget. I hope he finds a club that appreciates his achievements. I am sure he will not be out of work for very long.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Mumbongo did ok in parts but I’ll be disappointed if he’s still with us next season
Yea we need to ship him out good that Saunders got a goal we just need to see more from others and a little quality I am at the match on Friday for a change

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
People tend to see what they want to see, those who believe Mellon was a problem and those that see another managerial change will solve nothing.
I don't there exists a fan who would change the back five and it stayed the same.
The diamond is nothing revolutionary the wide players had a fairly free role anyway. i would argue O'Connor is a far better guard than Merrie though.
Equally Dawes agrees with me Mumbungo offers something that does not exist otherwise, a presence up top. Again just being there made a difference.
The goal doesn't augur too well for Saunders, the keeper did not manage a challenge so he found himself with an open goal, which he appeared to need to dribble home than slot it. I think he thought he was offside.
Once the referee took over his Tommy Cooper act it was easy to miss the fact, Tranmere's offensive play disappeared altogether.
A poor game by two poor sides made worse by a clown, little to be taken from it. Apart from the fact the new pair of eyes is happy to leave recent signings out on loan, sign yet another midfield punt, not start the geordie wonderkid but at least brings Taylor back. i suspect there are quite a few destined for non-league still.
Mellon could have genuinely used the players who have a future but Dawes is playing for his job.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
True enough.
There is another.
one that sees, knows that, unless someway, somehow, means that we are watching a higher standard of players regardless who is manager and owns the club. I always backed the team, I won't criticise players. But I will be critical of something that is not conducive to the club's future.I
And I am worried about our future.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
screenshot_20230325_112007-jpg.253

Two out of three ain't bad, as they say. If only we could have grabbed a late winner ...
I think I'm happier that Saunders scored haha...hopefully his confidence will be up and he can go on a run until the end of the season

Player
Manager
John King
I have just seen some of the highlights back.

Saunders' goal was better than I had appreciated from the opposite end of the ground, quick thinking and a clever header to round the keeper and finish, similar to some of the goals on his highlights reel when he first arrived. Perhaps he will be ok if he is alongside a decent strike partner, or being used from the bench rather than being asked to lead the line every game.

I still don't think Mumbongo or Burton will make it, so centre forward is a position where we must recruit as a matter of urgency early in the transfer window.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I have just seen some of the highlights back.

Saunders' goal was better than I had appreciated from the opposite end of the ground, quick thinking and a clever header to round the keeper and finish, similar to some of the goals on his highlights reel when he first arrived. Perhaps he will be ok if he is alongside a decent strike partner, or being used from the bench rather than being asked to lead the line every game.

I still don't think Mumbongo or Burton will make it, so centre forward is a position where we must recruit as a matter of urgency early in the transfer window.
It depends where you are at, if you dispel the rumours, the likelihood is more of the same and the re-shuffling of the pack. I'd expect some of the dross to be leaving although the two year contracts look a problem after some of the first year outcomes.
As it stands your best pairing is Hemmings and Mumbungo with Saunders coming on as sub. No one else adds anything to what Saunders already offers, maybe his goal will allow him to consider playing a teammate in that would be a plus.
You'd need to recruit at least two forwards,finding a lump who could do the Mumbungo role shouldn't be too tricky but finding someone capable of finishing to cover Hemmings maybe more problematic. Could Taylor be the first real homegrown product in some years?

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
We are not exactly an in form side ourselves and the performance was an improvement last Saturday. Dawes has had less than a week to get his ideas and style of play across to the squad, so all things considered it was a decent effort and a pretty entertaining game.
Yep. I think Ian also mentioned they were an improved model since January trander window and got a draw against Orient, but actually deserved a win. Early days, but odd glimmer of promise.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mumbongo did use his physical attributes on Saturday and it worked well. He was holding the ball up and making it difficult for defenders. Although I don't think he has the quality needed at this level, it was one of his better games.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mumbongo did use his physical attributes on Saturday and it worked well. He was holding the ball up and making it difficult for defenders. Although I don't think he has the quality needed at this level, it was one of his better games.
It was one of his better games although that’s not saying much!! :)

His fitness record has been poor so I’m sure be releasing him at the end of the season