• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Colchester v Tranmere

Match result

• Colchester

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colchester v Tranmere
Posted by Ian
Colchester Community Stadium
Saturday, March 25, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 25, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
A new Dawn starts who will be available from the injured players what Shap will the team play will it be more forward thinking and just fkn go for it they have nothing to lose I. Think 2-1 Rover's

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We may get a bit of a bounce but I still don't think it will be enough and I just cant see where the goals will come from. Colchester are equally hopeless so I'm going for 0-0.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'm struggling to see how the change in management can lead to any significant improvement. If we go gung-ho we could get stuffed, so would be surprised if we do. No real idea what to expect so have sat on the fence with a draw. Who knows, though, Dawes may be a "lucky" manager!

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think there will be a change to the shape/formation which may have a bit of an impact

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hemings may be back in training but I don’t think he’ll start. Due to the injuries Dawes can’t make any major changes. I like Rhys Hughes to be given a start and possibly turner Cooke.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Like all our forwards hemmings is probe one of the worst I've ever seen he is just not interested. Thats my opinion

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Colchester are one of the struggling clubs that spent quite heavily in January, bringing in some quality players like Matt Jay. Their form improved dramatically following the transfer window under previous manager Matt Bloomfield, but has nosedived since his departure to Wycombe and the appointment of Joe Garner. They have lost four and drawn two of their last six games, albeit they drew at Orient on Saturday.

I think we will start in Dawes' favoured diamond formation, with Hawkes behind a front two of Hemmings and Saunders. His first caretaker spell produced some decent football and results, but the two play off performances against Morecambe were pretty abject. It will be interesting to see how we shape up at the weekend. I am not too delighted by the widespread rumours that he was undermining Mellon from within, but that is for another day.

Given Colchester's form and the anticipated post-sacking bounce, with players playing for their futures, I would not be surprised if we get a result.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Colchester had a decent fight-back with two late goals rescuing a point at Orient. They inflicted serious damage on our play-off prospects in last season's game, with a late winner last season in a game where Rovers were mostly on top.

No issues with reverting to a diamond given the depleted squad. While attention has rightly focussed on our lack of firepower, all five of the goals conceded in the last two games were avoidable and having O'Connor at the base of the diamond may provide more protection for the back four. Even if Hemmings is available, unlikely to get a full game.

Wonder how much truth is there in the Dawes undermining Mellon suggestions. There seems to have been a lot made of them after Micky's sacking, but don't recall much talk of it beforehand.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Probably nothing but I noticed at a few games that Dawes and Micky seemed to not really speak to one another. Parky seemed the man stuck in the middle. Probably a load of rubbish but I did wonder whether there was some tension

Player
Manager
John King
Wonder how much truth is there in the Dawes undermining Mellon suggestions. There seems to have been a lot made of them after Micky's sacking, but don't recall much talk of it beforehand.
There were rumours prior to the sacking.

ADD

Player
Norwood
If Dawes was briefing against MM very poor I would agree and not acceptable.
Perhaps however it is just as plausible that as it became clear that MM was not able to turn things around Dawes was frustrated that his suggestions as Coach were being ignored?
His pre match presser I felt was genuine re MM and well handled.
Also don't forget whatever we may think about MP insisting a new Manager will have to work with Dawes it is just as likely that Dawes will be out of a job also soon which needs to be borne in mind... Can't be a nice position for him also.

Player
Manager
John King
Also don't forget whatever we may think about MP insisting a new Manager will have to work with Dawes it is just as likely that Dawes will be out of a job also soon which needs to be borne in mind... Can't be a nice position for him also.
Dawes was lucky to have the job to begin with. This is the third manager that has been sacked on his watch.

Rather than being desperately concerned about our poor form - which was not actually that poor anyway - I find it more plausible that he was looking after his own interests.

Player
ian goodison
strange these rumours about dawes only surfacing on here now mellon has gone, looking at the players mellon has supposedly fell out with/cold shouldered in the past I would think any problem could have been the other way round.

Player
Manager
John King
The rumours were around prior to his departure.

I must have missed the multiple fallings out.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
The speculation regards rumours of a falling out between Dawes and Mellon are totally unnecessary and pointless. Whats happened in the past is now irrelevant, we need to pull together and support the current management and team, and look forward to a new and successful future for the club irrespective of who ultimately gets the full-time managers job.

Reactions: ADD

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The speculation regards rumours of a falling out between Dawes and Mellon are totally unnecessary and pointless.
I do agree to an extent. We are going on speculation and rumours, so who really knows and probably not that helpful anyways. Ultimately, I would like to see a brand new structure at the club and that does not include Dawes in it.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It is speculation and rumours.
If and in my experience as a team leader, disagreement doesn't mean a falling out.
You practically live and work in the same room, on the training ground, eat together, travel together, hotel together, work together.
They have to be on the same page, in meetings, etc. Put an unity into the players, gain the dressing room.
There can be no other voice in the dressing room, only the manager/team leader.
There should be no disrespect towards the manager or of his methods.
Not done in my playing days, shouldn't be done in pro football, you stick to the plan!
You do your job on and off the pitch!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I'm thinking we might get a rebound positivity result tomorrow.
But I haven't been right many times this season. 1-1 for me!