• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Boreham Wood v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Thanks to BBTC and Brightonian for the reports. It is encouraging that we were comfortably the better side, as we have been in all four games so far: you never get a real flavour of the match from the radio commentary.

I agree completely with Brightonian about Jeff Hughes. He is our best midfielder and is wasted at left back, as well as he is playing there. As harsh as it seems, I would drop one of the midfield trio to get him back in the centre.

Regarding the early challengers, I am not convinced that Gateshead will last the distance although they may be on the fringes of the play-offs. I still think FGR and Eastleigh (now they are changing managers) will challenge, as will Dagenham, who have had a very good start; if I was to pick out any team as a major threat, it would probably be the Daggers under John Still. Macclesfield also have a decent squad and a very good manager and could well be in contention.

With regard to GB, he did acknowledge the SWA at the previous away game at Bromley.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Trying not to get too carried away after the last 3 seasons but things are currently looking up, long may it continue

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Regarding the creativity, I think we've been quite creative in our home matches so far. I do agree with moving Hughes back into midfield though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks to BBTC and Brightonian for the reports and Mal's pithier remark.

Only been to one game so far; Barrow. In that match there were a couple of very good defence-splitting through balls from Maynard from the defensive midfield slot. If Hughes is moved to that position then Lois either gets moved to right-back, where he's less effective or dropped. I'm unusure that's a good idea, when he is contributing to the team.

The rate Steve Jennings is racking up yellow cards (two of which were harsh, not seen last night's) means that there will be some enforced changes in midfield soon.

Player
Manager
John King
Only been to one game so far; Barrow. In that match there were a couple of very good defence-splitting through balls from Maynard from the defensive midfield slot. If Hughes is moved to that position then Lois either gets moved to right-back, where he's less effective or dropped. I'm unusure that's a good idea, when he is contributing to the team.

We would not necessarily have to play Hughes in the holding role in place of Maynard. We could play him ahead of either Jennings or Harris in one of the 'roving' midfield roles, although it would be harsh to drop either of those two at the moment.

At least with Hughes at left back we keep a lot of our best players on the pitch (similar to the situation with the front three, none of whom are in their most familiar roles).

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Although BW is a small, friendly club and made the SWA feel very welcome, they are a bit mercenary about media rights. So no highlights of the match are available yet publicly. However, there is a re-creation of Connor's goal on the OS. This is performed by Paul Harper aka SCooperSomersaults, once of this forum, who now works in communications for the club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think scoops might have a bit too much time on his hands :D

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Just responding to my own post as to whether we should be warming to GB.
It's a two way street really and GB's reluctance to go over to the fans on Tuesday looks like either insecurity (what reaction will I get) or arrogance (they can all go do one). He probably needs some PR assistance and both he and us fans should probably now wipe the slate clean.
Don't agree with his ideas on all counts but I do think he's learning on his feet and he does have two TRFC club records on his CV now!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Seen the SCoops video.
Great stuff.
Would've said sign him up except it took a dozen takes!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lol at the SCoops re-creation.

However, the North Korea like approach to media does Boreham Wood no favours and the Jennings goal ought to be available on our website.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought they were releasing the vid yesterday. Pretty poor really.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I totally agree with BBTC's earlier comment about GB not coming over to the travelling SWA at the end of, not only this game, but also the one at Bromley aswell. I attended both games and expected him to at least show his appreciation to those that had made the trips.....but nothing!

I just think that there is still a lack of connection between him and the fans (despite our recent form) and a little gesture like approaching the fans and applauding their support, home and away, would go some way in bridging that gap. It takes 2 mins but I feel would go a long way!

Anyway.....hopefully the good form will continue Saturday. I can't make this one but will be eagerly watching my phone whilst sipping beers at a family party!! #SWA

Player
Manager
John King
I totally agree with BBTC's earlier comment about GB not coming over to the travelling SWA at the end of, not only this game, but also the one at Bromley aswell. I attended both games and expected him to at least show his appreciation to those that had made the trips.....but nothing!

GB definitely acknowledged the fans at Bromley, at least those that were standing in the side terrace.

From what I hear and read I think his relationship with the supporters is slowly improving.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
GB definitely acknowledged the fans at Bromley, at least those that were standing in the side terrace.

From what I hear and read I think his relationship with the supporters is slowly improving.
I must have missed that mate, I was there and in the side stand aswell but didn't see it. Fair play then if he did

M

Mal

To be fair, I haven't heard the "give us a wave" song of late, or have I gone deaf in my old age? If not, then it is a "both ways" issue....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think the' give us a wave' suits GB style.