• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Boreham Wood v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm being really cheeky here and posting this new thread well ahead in the euphoria of this afternoon's win and our current league position.

Ironically, despite our great start to the season, I'm a little less confident about our chances than I was at the start of the season. The reason is that the Wood have arguably done better in their first three games than we have. When their fans saw their season was to start with a visit by FGR followed by trips to Dover and York, hearts must have sunk. But they are currently unbeaten and second in the table. It's an amazing turnaround from their first term in NL when they flirted with relegation all season.

Last season, BW were our bogey team, when they took 4 points off us and stopped us scoring. Even though we only drew, the away game was the worst professional match I'd ever seen. Rovers were in the middle of that two-month bad spell and had just been thrashed at Woking. The home side were also lacking in confidence, so a cagey 0-0 draw was probably inevitable. The only good thing to come out of the game was it was the start of our unbeaten away run. Now that we are playing so well, how ironic would it be to lose this one?

I expect a much better game on Tuesday, with both sides going all out to win. I think it will be an open game, which should be in our favour, and I'm predicting a 2-0 win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
BBTC beat me to it in describing last season's game at the Wood as the 'worst professional match ever': I am sure I have seen worse games, but I can't remember them. I was hoping to get to this game, but won't make it now. Will BBTC or any of the other southern exiles be in attendance ?

Boreham Wood's start to the season is not entirely unexpected as they recruited well over the summer (perhaps helped by Arsenal money ?), former Braintree captain Kenny Davis being the standout signing. I am not sure they are capable of challenging for promotion but I can certainly see them finishing in the top half.

I think GB has some selection dilemmas for this match. No manager wants to change a winning team, but we may be risking injuries if players like Cook, who did not have a full pre-season, play four games in ten days. We might need to make a couple of changes, or at least freshen things up in the second half. It will be interesting to see if Ridehalgh is recalled, or whether Hughes remains at left back with Maynard in the middle.

After a strong start a draw would not be a disaster in this game, but we are well capable of winning it: I will be slightly disappointed if we don't get three points. Even on a Tuesday night, I think there is a strong possibility the Rovers fans will outnumber the home support, as happened last season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think with the way we are playing and the confidence in the squad, we should be looking at three points here and a couple of goals. I would keep the same side but be weary of players tiring in the second half.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, RLC. I'm planning to attend, so will post a report. I'm bring a few mates (including a BW fan!), so can guarantee at least four in the SWA, but unlike RLC I doubt we'll outnumber the home fans as our numbers will be down and surely theirs will be up.

I forgot to mention that BW were the first team to beat Rovers last season. Let's hope history does not repeat itself.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with BBTC and RLC about the quality of last season's game. I get the impression this Wood side have more attacking options, though they were quite clinical in sealing the win at PP last August, so would expect a better game.

While I've been an advocate of resting players, think this is going to be a harder game than anticipated when the fixture list came out. For that reason, feel Brabin's changes may be limited to recalling Ridehalgh and going back to the Bromley line-up. The 3 games which follow are more conducive to giving our forwards some rest and the likes of Mekki and Kirby a start.

Rovers are capable of winning, but think I'd take a draw. Hope you enjoy the game more than your Wood supporting mate(a rare breed), BBTC.

Player
Nevin
Enjoy the trip. Can rarely make away trips so it's radio merseyside and the Olympics on mute for me.
One of the benefits of having kept so many players from last season is that they will remember that this isn't a game that can be taken for granted. Hopefully they remember lasts seasons performance and want to produce better. I'm gonna predict a 2-2. Although I know what a good result that would be in the greater scheme.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Unchanged team with ridehalgh on the bench in place of Sutton.

Good options on the bench assuming they are needed tonight after the recent cluster of games. Come on rovers!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Unchanged team tonight and we are playing well against a positive, skillful side. Connor Jennings drove hone the only goal of the first half after good work by Nors who is putting in a great shift on the left flank. No weak links at the moment. Fingers crossed for the second half.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
Another great result. Pleased that Connor scored his first goal, and it sounded a cracker. Cook and Norwood both involved in the build up again. It sounded a tight affair, but we seemed relatively untroubled, although listening to the last five minutes was murder. Great turnout from the SWA. I look forward to BBTC's report.

With three winnable games coming up, we are in a good position now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good win. Listening to the radio Merseyside commentary it sounded a little nervy towards the end as we kept conceding free-kicks and picking up yellows. Though Norwood could have sealed it at the death. No changes and no subs hmm. Await the reports with interest.

Player
Manager
John King
No changes and no subs hmm.

I was very surprised we did not make any changes in the last twenty minutes. A few of them must have been knackered at the end.

Still, all is well that ends well.

M

Mal

Just heading home. The referee went mental as though trying to make up for the red card. Very strange refereeing in my opinion. It wasn't that "hairy" as they lacked finishing power.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, we won and were easily the better side, but yes the final five minutes were nervy even against 10 men. I thought the whole team played well but Nors gets my MOM. He put in a tremendous shift on the left, where most of BW's attacks came, as he spent much of the time supporting Hughes, who looked an excellent full-back. I was so sorry he didn't get the goal he deserved in the last minute when in a one-on-one with the keeper, a defender chased back to cover. By then he must have been knackered, but seriously none of the team seemed to be struggling at the end.

It was a fairly tight affair with few chances at either end. We had four heading opportunities which failed to test their keeper and I think they had no more than two half-chances. Our defence looked solid, although most clearances were via route one. Our midfield tackled and passed well, but the final ball was usually missing. Only for the goal and the Nors miss, did we break through the home defence. The ref did not have a lot to do, but still managed some harsh bookings. I didn't understand the sending off.

Credit to GB for four wins, but he did himself no favours by not coming across the pitch to the away fans. I think he'd have had a great reception, as I didn't hear a negative comment from the SWA all game.

The table makes great reading. Three points ahead already. Better still, all the other pre-season favourites except Gateshead are all struggling. Boreham Wood were OK, but nothing special. Yet they have beaten FGR and Dover, then drawn at York. It bodes well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks BBTC. Tremendous win and what a perfect start to the season.

drwhoman

Thanks BBTC. Great stuff and we have not lost away since Nov 2015 according to the club website. When was the last time we won the first four games? 1989 was one and 1969 another. The scorers in the latter games included Ken Beamish, George Yardley and Joey Pritchard. Happy days!

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
A lovely warm evening with another good turn out by SWA for Tuesday in the outer fringes of north London but where were all the home fans? We started the game in total control and it seemed that we might be in for a very comfortable win. However as BBTC says we created very few clear cut chances despite being much the better team.
All of the team contributed which is very encouraging but to be honest I would much prefer Jeff Hughes in midfield. Yes he did very well at left full back but his quality on the ball and vision would have added a lot in midfield which in my view lost their way and became embroiled in a battle rather making the possession count.
One of the most entertaining events of the night involved us getting an indirect free kick about twelve yards out; it was high farce with the referee who was already losing control of the game taking an eternity to get the BW players back with it all turning into a bit of a wrestling match including after we fluffed the opportunity.
Besides James Norwood who again worked tirelessly and looked dangerous on those few occasions he did get a run with the ball I thought Connor Jennings generaly had a good game with most of the threat coming with him down the right and he looks as though there is a lot more to come from him. Davies was very sound in all he did and whilst not having a busy night handled perfectly and kicked well. Jenno does seem a lot fitter than last season and did work hard.
The game finished under very poor floodlighting but despite the silly free kicks given away and us allowing them to get back into the game, it seemed we would not concede and all ended well. Yes another fantastic three points and a reasonably entertaining game with a decent but not outstanding performance.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the reports and credit to the SWA for such good numbers on a Tuesday night some distance away.

Another 3 points is very welcome. GB mentioned Jenno after Saturday and his work rate - top marks to the skipper. Its a shame that GB didn't applaud the away fans when I assume the players did. Whilst he took some stick last season which he may have felt was unfair at times, he should rightly take some credit at the moment.

I'm pleased for Connor Jennings getting his first for the club. Clearly he has ability but I've felt has been feeling his way into our squad and set up, especially playing out wide. The winning goal will do him the world of good and all of our front 3 have now scored in the opening 4 games.

Gateshead scored 7 last night and although early days, may be up there at the end of the season. Liam Hogan marshalling the defence with ex rover loannee Danny Johnson up front and Ryan Bowman, a goal scorer at this level.

But on to Saturday now. Maidstone who have won their last 2 games including a decent win at Chester last Saturday. Another potential banana skin like many last season but although early days, surely now we are better prepared in dealing with these teams who see it as their cup final.

Let's not get carried away. Remember FGR last season - but nice to get some early points on the board!

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A lovely warm evening with another good turn out by SWA for Tuesday in the outer fringes of north London but where were all the home fans? We started the game in total control and it seemed that we might be in for a very comfortable win. However as BBTC says we created very few clear cut chances despite being much the better team.
All of the team contributed which is very encouraging but to be honest I would much prefer Jeff Hughes in midfield. Yes he did very well at left full back but his quality on the ball and vision would have added a lot in midfield which in my view lost their way and became embroiled in a battle rather making the possession count.
One of the most entertaining events of the night involved us getting an indirect free kick about twelve yards out; it was high farce with the referee who was already losing control of the game taking an eternity to get the BW players back with it all turning into a bit of a wrestling match including after we fluffed the opportunity.
Besides James Norwood who again worked tirelessly and looked dangerous on those few occasions he did get a run with the ball I thought Connor Jennings generaly had a good game with most of the threat coming with him down the right and he looks as though there is a lot more to come from him. Davies was very sound in all he did and whilst not having a busy night handled perfectly and kicked well. Jenno does seem a lot fitter than last season and did work hard.
The game finished under very poor floodlighting but despite the silly free kicks given away and us allowing them to get back into the game, it seemed we would not concede and all ended well. Yes another fantastic three points and a reasonably entertaining game with a decent but not outstanding performance.
I agree with everything you say. We have a solid defence and three proven goalscorers, but if I am to be critical it's midfield that needs improvement. Tackling is good and there's plenty of energy. They interchange passes well. However, I did not notice much creativity. Most passes were lateral or diagonal. Maybe it's time to bring Ridehalgh in at left-back to release Jeff Hughes into midfield. However, he is not as young as he was, so may not be the complete answer. How we have missed Max Power over the last couple of years!