• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

AFC Fylde 1 Rovers 4

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another very impressive performance from Rovers. In the first half we completely controlled the game, playing enterprising football, creating a hatful of chances and scoring good goals. In the second period Fylde lifted themselves and gave us a more of a game, but we were organised and diligent and still 'won the half'.

The attacking players in particular seem full of confidence: Cook and Mekki were outstanding and Stephenson put in a better performance. The win was particularly impressive as Fylde are a decent side and beat Oldham and Blackburn U21s in their previous two games.

We again used the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation and while it seems churlish to criticise after such a strong pre-season, I still believe alternative systems would get more out of our best players. In particular, I think Connor Jennings is wasted in the deeper midfield role which he is playing.

Play as we did today at Bromley and we will surely start the season with a victory. I think we will line up as follows:

Davies
Vaughan Mc Nulty Ihiekwe Ridehalgh (outstanding today)
S Jennings C Jennings Hughes
Mekki Cook Norwood

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. This pre-season seems to have got better and better. I think it has helped that we have retained everyone we wanted and only signed a handful of quality players who will surely improve the team. Comparing your predicted team with the one that started last season, it's a lot better.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. Glad to hear Ridehalgh did well and will hopefully be in confident mood ahead of next Saturday.

Agree also about concerns about Connor Jennings. He played central midfield at vauxhall and it didn't seem to get the best out of him.

I do wonder how GB will incorporate cook, Norwood , Mekki and Connor in a starting 11 effectively, especially away from home. Time will tell.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I think we have to be happy with the squad. The nucleus of last season with some shrewd additions. Fair do's to GB for his business and importantly ensuring some vital players re-signed.
We'll have a subs bench that could start for any team in NL.
Thought today would have been a sterner test than the two recent home games.
Nice that we took it in our stride.
Intrigued as to the starting line up next week but more interestingly, will we see different formations home and away?
Away results last season dictate that we have to go with the GB flow, but at home....we should be arse smacking these teams.
Two very tricky home games to start with to see which direction we are going.

drwhoman

Great to get such a good win against a reasonable side. A confidence boost before the season starts. The formation issue is an awkward one. I imagine that the reason GB is playing CJ so deep is that it allows him to accommodate both Cook and Norwood. I would not be surprised if, when playing away to a decent team, he moves either Cook or Norwood to the bench and plays CJ behind the striker with a more compact formation in midfield. I still have concerns that the squad is one or two players light but time will tell.

Player
Manager
John King
I should also mention that Evan gumbs played the full ninety minutes at centre back today. He was naive at times but it is good to see that brabin rates him and believes he is ready to make the breakthrough to the first team squad. However, it did concern me that Sutton was not involved at all and played with the kids last night. With the lack of cover at the back GB can't afford to put his nose out of joint again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well after a decent pre-season, I think the supporters and players go into the season with a lot of confidence. I look forward to seeing the new guys and how they fit in. It will also be interesting to see how some of our players from last season get on. Players such as Mekki and Ridehalgh who have had good pre-seasons, I'm hoping can improve on last season and make a difference this season.

Thanks for the report RLC.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
In an ideal world, or rather Football League as opposed to NL, we may perhaps need a couple more players.
But we know Maynard plays centre back for his country, seems to have performed well today at RB.
Hughes, I'm sure, could fill in at left back if needed (as has been tried).
And what news on Sutton?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good to see Gumbs getting another run out. It's really refreshing to see one of the youngsters given some time. I don't expect we'll see a great deal of him next season barring injuries and suspensions but he'll make a decent stand in. Probably still a bit rough around the edges but hopefully will improve in time.

Not a big fan of Sutton, so I tend to side wth GB exclusion.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. It sounds a very encouraging pre-season, though alas, I've been unable to see any of it. The squad is more stable and we've addressed the issues regarding lack of fire power, while the new arrangements regarding transfers will give more flexibility during the season.

Gumbs being given an extended run-out is positive. I'm assuming that he's mainly a full-back who can play in central defence, as that's where I've seen him play, including the sub appearance at Luton. Sutton's exclusion is a strange one. He looks better as a central defender, though not quick enough to be a foil for McNulty, but got dropped last season, just as he seemed to get the hang of the attacking part of playing at right-back. He spent the end of last season on loan at Barrow, featuring at right-back as they came close to making the play-offs in a strong late run. Unlike Brabin, their manager has got a side promoted from this league. I agree with RLC that it would be better for the manager to keep him onboard. Something of a contrast to the approach with Maynard, where GB has played him all over in order to get him playing time, although it sounds there have been pluses from giving Lois such opportunities.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maynard seems to have had a decent pre-season surprisingly.

Player
Manager
John King
Maynard seems to have had a decent pre-season surprisingly.

He has done particularly well in the defensive midfield role. I would not be massively surprised if he started in that position next Saturday.

Most of the players have performed well in pre-season which probably reflects the confidence running through the side at the moment, rather than man-management of individuals.

M

Mal

With all due respect, RLC, I know footballers who have taken on management roles.They have all said that the average footballer is stupid and thinks they are maradonna! So, a team doesn't just suddenly gel itself , it takes a manager and coaches. Confidence is one element but it isn't conjured up by magic....

Apparently, they are all scared of dentists as well, lol

Player
Manager
John King
What has getting a team to 'gel' necessarily got to do with man-management though ? We looked reasonably solid defensively the whole of last season, and nobody has questioned Brabin's ability to get a team organised. Last year we were lacking in the final third; new attacking players were signed and now we are playing with greater confidence in the opposition's half.

I still don't see much evidence that Brabin is a great mentor to individuals, and the experience of Mangan, Margetts and Sutton suggests that he is not.

M

Mal

i have no evidence either. I don't attend the training sessions or his meetings with players, has to better than some of the supporters who boo at games, though!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Supporters boo at every club.
Anyway, this season will tell us a lot about GB management skills. He's brought in some decent players to cover the shortfalls from last season, so it's now down to him to get the best out of them? Pre-season is one thing, the real test starts next week!

M

Mal

Supporters boo at every club.
Anyway, this season will tell us a lot about GB management skills. He's brought in some decent players to cover the shortfalls from last season, so it's now down to him to get the best out of them? Pre-season is one thing, the real test starts next week!
exactly, which is why i for one am not dwelling on last season's events and tarnishing GB with a particular brush. i don't really care if Sutton is in or out if the team is playing well.