• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Yeovil 3-1 Tranmere

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh dear, game was over after 45 mins after an awful first half. Change of tactics/players in the second half made for a better second half, but it was never enough to salvage this one. Yeovil could have had 4 or 5 really. #-o

DIW

Player
Goodison
Utterly depressing. Especially after the ray of hope from last week. Complete and utter crap.

Player
Goodison
I think it was over after 15 minutes never mind 45! We always struggle against teams on a bad run of form#-oI'm glad I didn't make the long drive to that one!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Les says we were abysmal first half. Will be interesting to hear any reports but intial thoughts:

* Is it time we had an experienced keeper ? Collister is still not totally convincing IMO and apparently should have done better with their first.

* Why did Adkins not start after scoring 2 for the reserves in the week ? Insetad playing Morrow who was taken off after 54mins.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
* Is it time we had an experienced keeper ? Collister is still not totally convincing IMO and apparently should have done better with their first.

* Why did Adkins not start after scoring 2 for the reserves in the week ? Insetad playing Morrow who was taken off after 54mins.

It would be nice to have experience in every position but at the moment we're stuck with our second choice keeper because our more experienced first-choice keeper is unavailable.

Akins didn't start because he's ****.

Anyway, don't worry! We have injured players coming back and the rest of the squad haven't had time to gel yet! Let's hold back judgement till we're in League 2, at the very least.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
we needed an experienced keeper after the departure of danny coyne !
tranmere fans just waking up to the fact now !jeeez dumb,os!
injuries ,lp,kid loanies, do me a favour !

Player
Goodison

Because he's never scored goals anyway, including failing to score in 15 outings in the non-league. Dale Jennings should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There were no excuses for the first half. It was abysmal and it lost us the game. There was only one change from last week and that was Morrow on for McGurk. It would be nice to get some consistency from these players.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Akins didn't start because he's ****.

Anyway, don't worry! We have injured players coming back and the rest of the squad haven't had time to gel yet! Let's hold back judgement till we're in League 2, at the very least.

By the sound of it Akins was rather better than Morrow, the foul on him led to the penalty, our sole shot on target. As I've seen neither play, can't say if that amounts to much.

Don't think the injuries made a great deal of difference, as the only player difference from the Peterborough game was McGurk. It sounds like a repeat of the Bournemouth game, where conceding an early goal, Grandison apparently to blame here, resulted in things falling apart.

I wouldn't think it's right to single out Collister, sounds like the whole of our defence had an off day. Hoping for something better in a week's time.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have just got back and I am still pretty shell shocked after what was a truly appalling performance today. All three goals we gave away resulted from Keystone Kops defending, with Grandison Darville and Cresswell all having absolute mares today, although Cresswell did redeem himself slightly in the second half.

First goal: Grandison (who played worse than Wood did in the Bournemouth game) was under no pressure and blasted the ball against the back of the Yeovil striker, ball rebounded to Bowditch who smacked it back past Collister from thirty yards.

Second goal: absolutely no pressure on the ball or challenge down the right hand side, ball crossed to the Yeovil left winger who is 5 foot 3 and has apparently never scored a header in his life, but somehow outjumped Darville to head home.

Third goal: a well worked corner routine with the ball played back to the edge of the box which our defence failed to react to. When the resulting shot came in we failed to challenge for the second ball, and their centre
back poked it home.

Darville was hopeless in the first half, skinned every time by their winger and awful with his distribution. Grandison looked like he had never played football before in his life, and Blanchard and Mendy provided no protection from midfield. As a result Les switched to 4-4-2 after half an hour, bringing Labadie on (who was better than either of the two midfielders I have just mentioned, and should have started), which at least meant that in the second half the full backs had some protection and we strung a few passing moves together.

I think the basic problem at the moment is there are too many kids in the team in key positions. As a result, as soon as we come under sustained pressure, and things take a turn for the worse, we collapse like a pack of cards. We badly need the likes of Broomes and Welsh back IMO, just to give a decent balance to the side in terms of youth and experience.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
we needed an experienced keeper after the departure of danny coyne !
tranmere fans just waking up to the fact now !jeeez dumb,os!
injuries ,lp,kid loanies, do me a favour !

Did you not rate Luke Daniels last year?

M

Mal

Ian was right with his forecast. Sonkorly , I assume your 'team gelling' etc., was sarcasm? We certainly don't have a team of players that know each other footballing-wise yet.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Yeah. Wondering how long we can make the same excuses for very bad performences.

Second half sounded better on the radio but it seems Yeovil taking their foot off the gas helped us a great deal. The fact that we're now very often switching to 4-4-2 as a plan b for when things aren't going well suggests to me that even Les isn't convinced by his 4-3-3 system anymore.

Many thanks to RLC for details of the goals. I would disagree that Labadie should have started in place of either Mendy or Blanchard however, who I feel deserved to retain their place based on their performances versus P'boro.

M

Mal

The trouble is , SK, a truism is a truism.... England had 6 Man City players yet look at MC results. Individuals do not make a team no matter how much they cost and are paid. And we not only have a lot of individuals who do not know each other but we cannot guarantee the same 11 who don't know each other.... yet. I'll have to go back to look at the team selections of the late 80's and early 90s but I am convinced there was a consistency, with initially poor results, improved by that consistency of selection over time. Patience is key. I have no expectation of anything other than around 18th this season. I'll be fed up if we are in the same situation in 2 years time.... I therefore am not currently alarmed or shocked or surprised by the inconsistency.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Despite our current inconsistency, I still think that this squad of players is good enough to at least survive this season, and I maintain that our early performances have not been as bad as they were under Barnes last year.

I agree with Sonko's comment that Les is having second thoughts over his preferred system, and recent matches have shown that he is not quite as inflexible as he sometimes appears to be

You have to feel sorry for the management team given the constraints they are working under. In the summer we tried to sign an unproven striker from Barrow (Bond), a realistic aspiration you would think for a club of our size. The result ? Colchester offer to double his wages, and he signs for them and is currently averaging one goal per game !

Managers can scout players and tinker with systems, but if the money is not available to sign quality there is not a lot they can do.

O

OneNightInGayParis

While I agree with Sonko's view that we can't use the injuries/team gelling excuse ad infinitum, after a result (and performance, by all accounts) like Saturday's we don't appear to have much else to cling to.

Collister isn't the finished article yet, but he is very young and has been thrown in the deep end. Over the next few months we will know whether he is capable of the necessary improvement, or whether he is not up to this grade of football. Having Broomes back will make a difference to an inexperienced defence, and to my mind Les needs to give serious thought as to how we include both Zoom and Cresswell in the starting XI. Poor pre-season form or not Zoom was a revelation last season, providing much of our limited attacking threat, and is far too good to be warming our bench.

Joss Labadie and John Welsh should be starting every game they are available for - who plays with them probably being dictated by who our opposition is. Once these guys are fit we have a full strength midfield, irrespective of other availability. However, I do think Fraughan should be given as much game time as possible this season.

Up front Enoch and ITM are both capable at this level. If we are playing 4-3-3 then the jury is out on the third striker. McGurk looks the best of the bunch so far; although neither he nor Akins, nor Morrow, nor Jennings have really had the chance to impose themselves. But, to be honest, the intial signs don't look promising. If just one of the 4 proves to be as good as Enoch / ITM, I thing we have a result.

Whether there are excuses and whether they appear valid or not, it is almost pointless looking at replacing Les. A new manager would be in the same position with the same players and no budget to make changes. We would end up with another drawn out saga like last season where we couldn't find a manager with the appropriate experience willing to work for the remuneration available with his hands financially tied.

My idea of a good season will be avoiding relegation, and ending the season with Collister, Cresswell, Fraughan and one of the peripheral strikers proving that they are good enough to shine at this level. I would also be delighted to see Ash Taylor and Alan Mahon fully fit and challenging for places. That would leave us in a good place at the start of next season. A great season would see Sheik Hwang Mansour Romanov buying PJ out and puttimng some money into the club - in that case stuff the rest of my criteria!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Joss Labadie and John Welsh should be starting every game they are available for
Why?? Joss so far hasn't matched up to the player he was on loan last season, although it sounds like he did improve things when coming at at Yeovil. Welsh has been poor in the 3 games I'd seen him play in, gather he did improve when given the captaincy, only to get injured. Indeed, I don't think any player should be an automatic choice, even Goodi needs a break sometimes.

Otherwise, I mainly agree with what you've said, particularly with regard to finding a spot for both Zoum and Cresswell in the same side. My view is we've probably missed Zoum more in a defensive capacity.

It sounds like Nielsen is going to be out injured for some time again, so Joe is going to have an extended spell unless Les feels we need to get some more experience in. Wouldn't say no to having Gulasci back, but can't see it.

Still looks like McLaren may be fit by Saturday, so all our worries will be over#-o