• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Where will we finish next season?

Where will we finish next season?

• Promoted as champions

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Promoted through the play-offs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play-offs but not promoted

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 7th to 12th

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 13th to 20th

• Relegated

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The pre-season fixtures are over and we know what the squad looks like. How do we all feel about prospects for next season?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ever the optimist, I think we will win the league. I have not felt this confident about a new season in a long time.

Unless something goes badly wrong, we should certainly be challenging FGR for the title.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am looking forward to next season and expect better things from a better squad, but I can't see any GB side being consistent enough to be champions. We should make the play-offs, but it's more likely we won't be promoted this way.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do tend to agree with BBTC in regards to the consistency. I have however voted Champions as my heart rules my head in these matters.

I said a few weeks back we should be in the top six all season. It's whether we have enough to drive on and push for that top spot. We have a goalscoring team playing with confidence and having now played a season in this league, should know what it takes to get out.

Sometimes it ain't pretty but grinding out results will be crucial. I hope our home form improves as it was pretty miserable at times last season.

M

Mal

Well if we make judgments based on just one season's evidence, may as well give up now. However, the new players edge it for me so I am being optimistic and going for promotion.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I share BBTC view on this; play-offs but no promotion.

We start from a better position than last season, a more balanced squad and players who've had some time together. The additions of Cook and Connor Jennings add more firepower, something which was lacking, Norwood aside. However, it's not simply a question of having these extra talents, but the manager must utilise them effectively; one up front at home shouldn't be the norm. The manager is a crucial factor in a side's promotion prospects, Cheltenham's squad wasn't much better than ours last season, but with a manager in Gary Johnson who knew how to get out of this league, they won it quite comfortably. At least 3 of our promotion rivals have managers in Still, Cox and Mills who've taken sides up out of the NL, something Brabin has yet to achieve.

The other sides with the strongest squads are probably Forest Green and Eastleigh, both have question marks against their management. Dagenham arguably have the best manager, but a squad which isn't as strong as Cheltenham last season. My view is those three along with Rovers are the main contenders for the automatic spot and it's too early to call. However, if we miss out on top then the play-offs are a lottery and I doubt Brabin has the tactical nouse to get us up that way.

As usual, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Player
Manager
John King
I generally agree with Boz's assessment, but Dagenham apparently have major financial problems which could derail them. As last year, a couple of unfancied sides will probably do well (Aldershot and Torquay perhaps ?) and I think Lincoln will be much stronger this season; the signing of Nathan Arnold is impressive and they now have a talented manager.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn't aware of Dagenham's financial problems. Torquay's takeover has fallen through, so more uncertainty for them. We have to be grateful for the Palioi's off-field efforts to maximise revenue for the club.

Agree about Lincoln. I'd also suggest Gateshead as an outside bet for the play-offs, manager Neil Aspin previously achieved that with Halifax

M

Mal

It seems that the majority on here don't trust Gary Brabin. Given we have had around 15 management changes (some including duos) over last 16 years, we have to trust in a manager to get it right at some point. After all, Chelsea win one season then are utter cr@p the next. Same manager. So I am approaching the season with a clean slate for Gary.....

Really looking forward to Saturday, believe we will win, and hope I don't end up with a sad-tale of egg on my face next Saturday night....

Btw since 1964 I have seen some dire seasons....

It is also difficult to get across disagreements with others' views on here in the spirit it is meant. Words are dry.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Without a doubt this is the hardest league from which to achieve automatic promotion with just the one place on offer. However, with the proper use of the squad this season I feel we can achieve the dream we all share, a return to the Football League.
It will be vital in seeking to achieve this that we get off to a great start with 2 home games following the trip to Bromley we have to be looking for 9 points after these 3 games...and with 4 of the first 7 games being at home we have to ensure that teams fear playing us and to do this we must get off to a flying start and look to stamp our authority on the table. I agree with most of the concern expressed over the manager's abilities, particularly in his tactical and man management skills, but for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as clearly Mark Palios has done after last season's failure, but anything less than a top 2 spot after 10 games will be totally unacceptable. The squad is undoubtably better than last season's and we must expect better performances and results.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Good squad so far and I hope GB gets the best out of them and they do the club justice. Don't think Palios will leave it long if reasonable expectations are not met. BTW did any trialists impress and make it?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
For those that are interested, here is a Radio City interview with Gary Brabin about the coming season.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4882968-gary-brabin-previews-tranmere-s-new-season
Interesting. GB sounds very upbeat. He seems to be talking the same language as many of us on this forum. Because we all wish Rovers well, we genuinely wish him well, even though he doesn't seem to have struck a chord with the fans. Perhaps if the team really start to play well consistently, we'll hear his name chanted by the fans.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
A quote by Martis from Goal.com - don't think we will be signing him anytime soon!

“I went into Leicester for a day and felt comfortable and got an offer,” Martis told the Manchester Evening News. “Then I went into Manchester United for a week and received good feedback from Warren Joyce (Under-21 boss) and could have earned a deal had I waited, but I just want to get my career started.
“Oldham have offered me a deal and we have been in negotiations for two weeks. I am nearing a decision on my future and I want to make the right decision for the next stage of my career.”
I think Martis did but he is currently on trial at Old Trafford !

drwhoman

Interesting. Forgive the cynicism but 'I got an offer from Leicester but I might do a deal with Oldham'? And he came for a trial with us? Strange. Still the bottom line is that we can forget about signing him.

M

Mal

just got 23-1 on both Tranmere and Newcastle finishing as champions of respective leagues. Was watching that 6-6 draw from a few years back and thought, why not...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
just got 23-1 on both Tranmere and Newcastle finishing as champions of respective leagues. Was watching that 6-6 draw from a few years back and thought, why not...
Hope you win! Both sets of fans deserve it!

drwhoman

I remember that game. I saw it on a trip back to UK. Ossis Ardilies was their Manager at the time. A very windy night if I recall correctly. A ball down the middle was a nightmare for the team facing the wind!

Player
Manager
John King
The three games against Newcastle that season are some of my favourite memories watching Tranmere. We also beat The Magpies in the League 3-2 at PP early in the season in front of about 11,500 and won by the same scoreline at St James Park the following spring just after Keegan had taken over, with Johnny Morrissey running the show.

Three games against Newcastle in one season and three victories. I wonder what what odds you would get against that happening again in any of our lifetimes ?

Last edited: