• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Very O/T - Everton

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Everton charged again for breaching ffp, forest also charged.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Still being investigated but they deny it, the first charge Everton admitted broken rules.
From radio this morning it sounds like first charge relates to 19-22 and second relates to 19-23 with appeal to still happen on the first one! Surely the first should have impacted last season? It has the potential to make real mockery of the EPL this season. I wonder what outcomes Burnley, Luton and Sheff U will be hoping for?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is interesting that the EPL have said any additional points deduction would apply this season, in which case Everton would be snookered.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Would that be a ten point deduction?

An ‘amazing coincidence’ pointed out by Kieran Maguire. Last year, just 24 hours before DCMS were due to publish a report recommending an Independent Regulator, the EPL hit Man City with 115 charges. Yesterday, just 24 hours before the CEO of the EPL appears before Parliament, the EPL brought these latest charges against Everton and Forest. Optics..

drwhoman

The whole thing stinks. There needs to be an independent regulator. To charge a club twice while another just carries on despite 115 charges going back years really does make you wonder. Would it be too much to cancel premierships at a club owned by a powerful oil state? I am sure Sunak would get the call! Some would say that Everton are an easy target! It is interesting that someone observed that in a way the Toffees are being punished for building a new stadium as I believe that some of he losses relate to that project?! It is not purely that their spending on players has been naive (quite apart from being poor in who they have signed and for how much)! Also, they have not sought to wriggle round the rules, like Chelsea, by awarding contracts that can be amortised over eight years! A loophole now to be closed. This said, I believe that hte current Chelsea charges relate to historic events and not what has happened recently.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It all goes back firstly to the greed that led to the creation of the Premier League and then the Financial Fair Play rules which are seen by many as a way of protecting the interests of those clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United who were at the top of the tree when they were brought in.
In terms of the state owned clubs, they are wealthy enough to not be living on the backs of their club so arguably better owners than those who do. The delay in bringing the 115 charges against Man City suggests to me that there may be some doubts about the strength of the evidence against them, while the timing of the announcement coinciding with the push for an independent football regulator raises eyebrows. We’ll have to wait for the findings to see the strength of the evidence.

It is dangerous to conflate the Everton and Man City situations. The Toffees have been spending beyond their means and accepted that in respect of their first charges. I do think they were harshly treated and should have been given greater discount for their timely admissions.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
For all of its flaws as an organisation, the EFL has an independent regulatory body which regularly reviews the accounts of the Championship clubs and has the power to prosecute clubs and determine the nature and severity of any charges. The regulator is fully independent of the governing body and is populated with a number of financial experts, in addition to lawyers.

By contrast, the EPL prosecutes individual clubs itself and only convenes a 'commission' after the charges have been brought. These commissions often only feature one qualified accountant and do not have the power to monitor clubs and bring charges, only to respond to charges brought by the EPL.

As a result, the integrity and independence of the whole process is in question. If the EPL really wanted a transparent and independent process, why would not they create a genuinely independent body similar to those of the EFL and UEFA ?

As has been suggested above, it seems they have simply chosen Everton as an easy target. They can (apparently) demonstrate to the government that they are getting their house in order, without upsetting any of the big six clubs.

Not that I am concerned about Everton getting relegated. :)

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The whole thing stinks. There needs to be an independent regulator. To charge a club twice while another just carries on despite 115 charges going back years really does make you wonder. Would it be too much to cancel premierships at a club owned by a powerful oil state? I am sure Sunak would get the call! Some would say that Everton are an easy target! It is interesting that someone observed that in a way the Toffees are being punished for building a new stadium as I believe that some of he losses relate to that project?! It is not purely that their spending on players has been naive (quite apart from being poor in who they have signed and for how much)! Also, they have not sought to wriggle round the rules, like Chelsea, by awarding contracts that can be amortised over eight years! A loophole now to be closed. This said, I believe that hte current Chelsea charges relate to historic events and not what has happened recently.
The losses in relation to the building of the new stadium are classed as permitted losses and are not included in the charges against Everton.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Everton's punishment for breaching Premier League financial rules has been reduced from ten points to six after an appeal. So even though they haven't won in nine league games, they will probably survive.. again.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Everton's punishment for breaching Premier League financial rules has been reduced from ten points to six after an appeal. So even though they haven't won in nine league games, they will probably survive.. again.
They along with Notts Forest likely to get 6 pts deducted for the latest charges, though when that will be decided is anyone's guess same as with Man City

They along with Notts Forest likely to get 6 pts deducted for the latest charges, though when that will be decided is anyone's guess same as with Man City
In mid-January the BBC reported that these charges against Everton and Forest needed to be heard within 12 weeks, with any appeals to be heard by May 24, and ultimately resolved by June 1.

I don’t think the original 12 week deadline has slipped while waiting for today’s appeal verdict but, even if it has, I expect the aim is still for any points deductions to be reflected in this season’s tables, rather than carried over to next.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Everton deducted another 2 points. Down to 16th and just 2 points above the relegation zone now. They've still got to play Forest, Brentford, Luton and Sheff Utd. Ohh, and the derby on the 24th. And it it gets tight, their last game is against Arsenal.

Player
Manager
John King
Everton deducted another 2 points. Down to 16th and just 2 points above the relegation zone now. They've still got to play Forest, Brentford, Luton and Sheff Utd. Ohh, and the derby on the 24th. And it it gets tight, their last game is against Arsenal.
They will probably stay up unfortunately. Those fixtures are relatively kind.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Lost 6-0 how Lucky are they that the 3 teams below them are so bad. They deserve to go down but thay might get away with it the Luton game will be critical to them