• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Us 4 Rovers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sounded like we played pretty well overall but defended awfully for the goals, perhaps reflecting the absentees at the back. It seemed that Coughlin may have been at fault for a couple of the goals, so it would be interesting to hear from anybody who went.

A victory next week should still see us finish in the top half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like we defended dreadfully, Goodi in particular. Must be a bit of a concern for Ronnie that a side which averages a goal a game managed to clock four against us.

A couple of queries about the team selection.

What's happened to Buchanan? Does his absence mean that either he's told Ronnie he's not going to be here next season or RM has decided not to offer him a deal?

Why no defenders on the bench? Aside from the above, Kay, Raven or Vaulks could have featured as sub today. Thankfully nobody at the back got injured or we could have seen Enoch as a central defender.

I wish the manager would explain the thinking behind his team selections in post match comments rather than selecting players to slate, however deservedly. That said, we were in roughly the same form and league position as Macc were in L2 when we both changed managers, bringing in a former boss. Ronnie turned our season around, whereas the Silkmen continued their winless run to drop out of the league today.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I wish the manager would explain the thinking behind his team selections in post match comments rather than selecting players to slate, however deservedly.

Give him a break. He can only answer the questions he's asked.

And there's no chance in hell that he'll let Buchanan go without offering him a contract.

Just saw the goals. Coughlin looked a touch soft on one far post cross, and shouldn't really have been beaten at his near post for Sears' goal, but they weren't complete **** ups or anything.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Goodison in one of his moods by the sound of it!

Still not been offered a new contract ..!

imo lets move on ..so often the hero but ???

should,nt all be about contract/dosh imo!

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
im a bit unsure if goodison should be given one more year what does everyone think,the pace of the game is quick and he is not getting any younger.hes 39 i think or 38 so next season could be his last one depends on how his fitness levels stand up to playing another season.

Player
Liam Palmer
Not been too impressed with Goodi lately. Under Les he kept the boat afloat and was always first on the team sheet. Under Ronnie he seems disinterested at times - always picking fights with the opposition. Maybe just a long season catching up with him. I'd still keep him on the basis that he's still got a presence around the place.

We've struggled all season with crosses into the box and yesterday sounded no exception. Something must be done....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Give him a break. He can only answer the questions he's asked.

And there's no chance in hell that he'll let Buchanan go without offering him a contract.

Just saw the goals. Coughlin looked a touch soft on one far post cross, and shouldn't really have been beaten at his near post for Sears' goal, but they weren't complete **** ups or anything.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect some explanation from RM as to why he opted to set up the way he did yesterday. While I felt could understand the reasons for starting line up, the absence of any defenders on the bench was a puzzle.

Two games that Buchanan has not featured at all and yet not injured. If Ronnie's resting players, then arguably he's seen enough of Welsh, Robinson, Akins and Holmes to know if he wants them next season. Why not rest them and give the run over to the likes of Power, Devaney, Weir, Kay? Maybe it's my paranoia kicking in, but Buchanan's absence suggests he might be on his way.

Having seen the goals, the defending was shambolic. Particularly given Coughlin's inexperience, the defenders in front of him should have taken more responsibility; the only goal he could really be faulted for was the 4th from Sears.

On the question of another year for Goodison, it's a hard one. I would anticipate Ash Taylor will be offered and accept a new deal. RM won't have seen much of McChrystal, but he doesn't seem to be the same player as last season after his injuries. With Will Vaulks only a makeweight and no real cover elsewhere for central defence (Holmes/Kay if still around at a push), Ronnie may feel that he needs to recruit another central defender, if so no funds for Goodi as well. If Ian isn't going to be offered another deal, it should be announced before the season end so we can pay our respects at the Scunthorpe game.

Player
Goodison
Goodison in one of his moods by the sound of it!

Still not been offered a new contract ..!

imo lets move on ..so often the hero but ???

should,nt all be about contract/dosh imo!

Your literacy skill is appalling.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Ronnie can only answer questions that he's asked. He wasn't asked about his choice of substitutes. It's a really trivial matter, I don't understand why you're obsessing over it. He doesn't really have to justify anything tbh. He gave his view that we lost because of poor defending on the day.

That said, I'd definitely keep Goodison. Our defensive record has been great this season, which is a testament to all involved. We tend to obsess over form - we must remember that Ash, Ian and Mark have all had poor games this season, and that to a large degree this is to be expected. That Ian's is happening towards the end of the season makes it no more relevant than the fact that Ash's was ealier on. If we sign someone younger and better than Ian (I'd be surprised) then so be it, he would still be a fantastic cover/rotational option at this level with his experience.

Your literacy skill is appaling.

Stop being a twat.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
For forty games this season Goodison has been as solid as ever in my view, and his poor run has coincided with the team achieving safety: whether this is down to lack of concentration as he wants to go on his hols or fatigue at the end of a long season, neither reason is justification for questioning his future at the club. The majority of supporters have been happy with his contribution all season, so it seems bizarre to start claiming he is past it on the strength of a couple of poor recent games, as if turning 40 somehow guarantees that a player is ready for the scrap heap.

On yesterday's goals, Coughlin could only really be blamed for the fourth, although it did sound from the commentary that he struggle on crosses throughout the game. That said, this is also one of Fon Williams' main weaknesses so perhaps there is a general lack of communication, as has been suggested above ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ronnie can only answer questions that he's asked. He wasn't asked about his choice of substitutes. It's a really trivial matter, I don't understand why you're obsessing over it. He doesn't really have to justify anything tbh. He gave his view that we lost because of poor defending on the day.
There has been enough nit-picking over things I've posted in the last couple of days that I guess this is how it feels living with a group of orang-utans. Amazing creatures btw, before anyone takes umbrage.

Are you an advocate of the treating of fans as mushrooms; keeping them in the dark and shovelling crap over them? What you post on here doesn't suggest that. Of course Ronnie doesn't have to justify anything to anyone, but that doesn't stop people wanting to understand how, when he blames the defeat on poor defending, that there were no options to change things.

While I think RLC is being a touch generous about Goodi's form over the season; there were one or two dips before the home strait, I would agree that there were far more good performances than bad over the course of the season. On balance, he merits a new deal.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I thought this was a website for TRFC fans to express their views about their team. This thread has gone beyond the bounds of friendly banter. You don't need a Ph.D. in English to post and there's no need to be personal. Let's all try to maintain the excellent standards of White Review.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
this is a website for Tranmere rovers fans but we are allowed to have our oppion on the players too.

i have read that ian goodison has been fallen out on the football pitch and arguing which i have read reports.the man is a good player he has been here a while but sometimes his performances are a bit below par.

i think ronnie does need to bring some new players in and release some of the dead wood.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes come on everyone - we're staying up remember after things looked pretty bleak a couple of months ago so lets all accept each others points of view and look forward to next season !

I think Sonko summed up the Goodi situation pretty well. Yes he has looked a bit dodgy recently but our defensive record this season has been great. I recall earlier in the season all those muppets booing Ash Taylor who had a dodgy spell, but has been immense since Ronnie took over. And as the jury is still out on McChrystal given his performances since Ronnie came back, unless the gaffa has identified good solid replacements for Ian that we can afford (not likely), Goodi will I am sure be offered a new deal.

Add to that he is a talisman/legend at the club, plus is one of those who if he kissed the badge, would surely mean it, so he has to stay.

Back to the match, I really hope Ronnie is trying to snap up Wallace/Cassidy on season long loans for 2012/3. I cant see neither breaking into their respective clubs first teams so lets hope they stay.

I still dont think any sort of major overhaul of the squad is needed, which recent form has suggested (apart from Saturday). A bit of tinkering here and there and a top half finish next season is surely a realistic ambition...and who knows what else

Player
Goodison
Stop being a twat.

How mature, 1586 posts and that's what you come up with... (although top marks for using the correct being!)

Your problem sonko is that you talk down to anyone who doesn't accept your view. Boz's point about Ronnie is perfectly acceptable. Yes, he's only answering what questions he is asked, but I'm sure Ronnie has a brain so he can talk about other aspects of the team besides what he is asked about. Picking out individual players in press conferences is not usually regarded as good management. The decision not to have a defender as a substitute was bizarre, if Buchanan is injured he could bring Vaulks just to give the experience of a match day.

I'm not saying you need a PHD but if you can't be arsed to write properly, why should people bother to read it? Also it's hard to understand what people actually mean when their writing is so poor.

Let's all try to maintain the excellent standards of White Review.

I agree, the best part of White Review is that nearly all the posts are coherent and thought out, unlike other sites such as Total Tranmere and the Cowsheds where most of the threads are just continous rabbles and pointless arguments.

Having watched the highlights Goodison is back on the right side of defence again to accomodate McCrystal - Goodison always prefers to play on the left side. His positioning seems to be a bit off as a result - something he is normally very good at. It's no coincedence that our strong run defensively has come about when Goodison plays on the left side, not the right.

Zoom and Holmes also seem to have had poor games as a lot of the balls into the middle were coming from a lack of pressure out wide. I think people need to look at the wider team defensively on saturday rather than going for the easy option in blaming Goodison's age. We've got the 2nd best defence in the division based on clean sheets, it's arguably the best, as our defence has had to withstand a lot more pressure than Charlton's. I expect efforts in the summer to concentrate on improving the team out wide, upfront and a creative player in central midfield - to compliment Welsh.

O

OneNightInGayParis

How mature, 1586 posts and that's what you come up with... (although top marks for using the correct being!)

I'm not saying you need a PHD but if you can't be arsed to write properly, why should people bother to read it? Also it's hard to understand what people actually mean when their writing is so poor.

I agree, the best part of White Review is that nearly all the posts are coherent and thought out, unlike other sites such as Total Tranmere and the Cowsheds where most of the threads are just continous rabbles and pointless arguments.

Personally I quite like amplesou's posts - albeit having taken a while to get used to them! For all I know amplesou has had little formal grammatical education; why should his (or her) views not be heard as clearly as anybody else who has taken the time to join the forum (or pay to go to the match as he/she seems to be doing with increasing regularity)?

Dyslexia or laziness? I don't really care and just know that amplesou is providing a (mostly) entertaining and (usually) controversial input to a great site where, unfortunately, the number of active contributors seems to be dwindling.

Completely agree with SonkORLY's sentiments!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
If Ronnie had dodged a question about his choice of subs then fair enough. If nobody asks him about it he's not going to talk about it. Same applies to any question that our fans expect him to answer via telepathy. I'm not arguing that his choice of subs wasn't odd. You can blame him for making that decision, but you can't blame him for failing to explain every single decision he makes.

Your problem sonko is that you talk down to anyone who doesn't accept your view. Boz's point about Ronnie is perfectly acceptable. Yes, he's only answering what questions he is asked, but I'm sure Ronnie has a brain so he can talk about other aspects of the team besides what he is asked about. Picking out individual players in press conferences is not usually regarded as good management. The decision not to have a defender as a substitute was bizarre, if Buchanan is injured he could bring Vaulks just to give the experience of a match day.

No.

Without wanting to appear condescending (I'm sure 'amplesou' can stand up for himself) your numerous attempts to belittle him for his perceived lack of writing skills are reprehensible. As someone who works with people with speech, language and communication difficulties (aka "people who can't be arsed to write properly") I offer no apologies for saying that your sense of morality needs a ****ing good kick up the arse.

Beyond that, his posts actually make sense anyway. Not sure why you are so obsessed with claiming some sort of grammatical high-ground and I stand by my original comment.

(Sorry to others for going OT)

I don't really understand all this panic about our centre-halves, seems to be a gigantic overreaction to one game in which they were alleged to have played badly (none of us were there). I'd keep all 3 of them.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Try checking your spelling before you try being a smart arse. :wink:

His Literacy 'skills' are pretty strange though.

thanks guys for your support !

That own goal tho...?? did he do it on purpose ..

we need to ask ourselves/was it a vealed threat to pj..who clearly loves him, and probally given him a better deal than he would get else where ..?

Maybe RM has agreed to a new ian goodison contract...but on reduced terms and he,s pissed off ?

We need to move on/start games without our Rasta hero sometimes !

Status
Not open for further replies.