• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

TRFC 2 Gillingham 2

DixieDean

thought it was a good game. Plenty of passion from both sides.
haven't got much time to post anything else as yet. Was just coming on to see other whitereviewer's comments.....

C

championship_here_we_come

good game yet again spoiled by another ref not fit to referee sunday league games nevermind professional football

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
this isnt't the results anyone should be pleased with. the only people that should be please are gillingham fans and the referee for not getting a knife throen at him cos he was dreadful. Not satisfied with this at all sorry.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
by the way, anyone who got the programme for this the waya review for bournemouth on page 24...I WROTE IT!!

C

what was there keeper doing picking the ball up outside the area with a backpass aswell should of been a red card not a yellow the ref needs to read the rulebook

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Grrr, this has to be seen as 2 points dropped. Really think we should have won this one.

Would be interested to hear some player reviews. How did Summerbee play? Was McAteer any good after his injury? Are we missing Sharps :?:

Also, disappointed that the attendance was only just over 7'000. Although I can't complain too much as I wasn't there :oops:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
bolton_hater said:
by the way, anyone who got the programme for this the waya review for bournemouth on page 24...I WROTE IT!!

Nice review Andy! I take it somebody else typed it out. I dont see any spelling mistakes in there? ;)

Right, onto the game.
First of all, another disappointing crowd. Just over 7000 and the away supporters made more noise than us. Atmosphere was dull. Has been for most home games this season. :oops:

The game as a whole wasn't bad, but disappinted to throw away 2 points. Gillingham could only score from set pieces. So we gave away our goals with a free-kick right outside the area and a penalty. Well done lads! :roll: In fact, they were unlucky not to score from another free-kick which hit the upright and bounced over.

Jackons goal was good, another bullet header unmarked in the area. Greenacres was even better snatching at the ball from an angle, right into the corner of the net. What a great finisher.

Thought Facey was a little quiet. Summerbee still doesnt look match fit, and I thought was the reason why he wasn't involved as much as I would have liked. In fact, I didn't really see him run at all, let's hope he can still run a little. But his crosses could be a key factor. To early to tell.

Aiston came into the game a bit more in the second half. McAteer was dreadful. Would have much preferred Harrison to have stayed on. Midfield wasn't great, and our defence looked shaky at times. I think we need to get Sharps back ASAP. I'm not convinced about Goodison even in the centre. Roberts was good, and Bruce, well just OK.

That result really means we start start to pick up points away from home. We have got a tough few away games ahead.

- Huddersfield
- Nottm Forest
- Bristol City
- Doncaster

Roll on Tuesday night! :shock:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Referee was a disgrace. Not surprised that he's been bumped down two leagues for being so damn awful. Based on his performance in this game he should be bumped down another two or stopped from reffing altogether. First half the amount of times Gilllingham players came in through the back of players two footed, really really dangerous tackles and yet the ref didn't give so much as a free kick, that was crazy. When Danny got what was probably a fairly accidental whack in the face the ref actually gave THEM the free kick. The best refs are the ones you don't notice, but this whistle-happy, selectively blind, prancing fool made sure everyone noticed him over and over again.

For their free kick for the first goal it was 50-50, jackson had hold of the guy, there's no denying it, but the guy had hold of him the whole time as well. Then before the free kick was taken the guy committed a foul of some kind (I've been told it was a push) and both teams froze and looked around, the crowd that had seen it making some noise (having been very quiet until then) yet the ref clearly hadn't seen it, blew his whistle and before anyone knew what had happened the free kick was taken and someone touched it into the net. Very painful to watch. And the amount of handballs that this referee didn't see, unbelieveable.

Goodison is a very very tall lad, yet he simply refuses to play the role that Sharps does, which is to go for the headers, to play against whoever is their main threat. So when we have the Goodison, Jackson partnership it's left to Jackson to play that role, and he's just not very good at it.

Summerbee contributed precisely nothing of any worth at all to this game, made no effort to make himself available for passes, never did any defensive work at all, didn't join in with attacks, didn't find anybody with any crosses. Brian Little made another mistake (besides including him in the first team to begin with) by leaving him on as long as he did. Bringing Jenno on for the last few minutes made an immediate impact because we had a useful player on the pitch who wanted to be involved.

Aiston my man of the match, everytime he got the ball we looked dangerous, things happened. He had the reading of both their two right sided players and could go past them seemingly at will. But we didn't find him enough, and as Summerbee didn't join in on the other side with attacks we didn't quite have the edge that was needed at times.

We've seen so many times that the McAteer and Rankine partnership in the centre of midfield time and time again leaves us with nothing in the middle, and whenever the ball breaks loose it's always an opposition player that picks it up.

2-2 was more than we deserved I think, or perhaps a fair result since Gillingham were bloody awful and so were we. Saying that they did hit the bar twice, Achterberg made three top drawer saves, and Alex Bruce made a last ditch save throwing himself at the ball and in the path of their forward, and got a knock for the trouble, THAT's the determination that's lacking in players like "send him to wrexham" Goodison.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whilst on the subject of the referee, did anyone make sense of the following?

- The goalkeeper picks up the ball outside his area. Is that not a sending off offence?

- Achterberg kicked the ball out of play for a throwing so a player could recieve treatment. Once play resumes, the referee picks up the ball, drops it to a TRFC player who then passes it back to Achterberg who then picks it up! Hmm..

Fistly, if Achterberg kicked it out for a throw. It should have been a throw. Then Achterberg picks up a back pass!! What the hell is going on?

Crazy!! :shock:

C

Then before the free kick was taken the guy committed a foul of some kind (I've been told it was a push) and both teams froze and looked around

one of ther players open fisted punched goodison in the face

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Very disappointing result and performance from Rovers. We were rubbish in my view, with the exception of Facey and Greenacre who worked very hard all afternoon with little or no decent service up to them. They look a good partnership but the rest of the team doesnt match that positivity.

We got off to a dodgy start allowing them some early chances and then scored froma good set-piece, thought this may settle us down and start playing. Ok, the ref didnt help and the stop-start flow of the game ruined it as a spectacle but we never played at all. Their first goal was never a free-kick although he took it well and also hit the bar later on too, Byfield, but was a dirty sod, along with 10 team-mates. Gillingham must be the dirtiest side to visit PP for a decade or so!

A great start to the second half and a great finish by Chrissy Greenacre. But the defence looked shaky throughout and when the keeper punted a high ball up field they looked clueless as to what to do! As it was it bounced and bounced over everyone's head and even though i was at the other end looked like Jacko pulled the forward down and no choice for the ref (who was as everyone has said a disgrace). If somone had taken control and headed it out we would have won the game.

But our overall performance was poor. I think we had two efforts on target all game (the goals!), their goalie didnt look the best but we never tested him at all apart from a couple of high crosses when nobody from our side attacked the ball!

Summerbee, well, pants to be honest. Doesnt look match fit so what on earth is Little doing playing him? He did nothing all game and was taken off with 15 mins to go!! :lol: What a joke!

Overall, we aint going up. Wish those stupid fans in the kop would stop singing up the football league we go when we score a goal! If you can't beat Gillingham at home you're gonna struggle to win promotion! And as Ian pointed out we have some tough tough away games (they're the ones we don't even draw) coming up so it aint looking rosy in the PP garden at the moment. :(

DixieDean

Ian said:
- Achterberg kicked the ball out of play for a throwing so a player could recieve treatment. Once play resumes, the referee picks up the ball, drops it to a TRFC player who then passes it back to Achterberg who then picks it up! Hmm..

Fistly, if Achterberg kicked it out for a throw. It should have been a throw. Then Achterberg picks up a back pass!! What the hell is going on?

Crazy!! :shock:

It looked to me as though Achterberg's (kick out) wasn't off the pitch when the ref blew his whistle to stop the play due to the head injury. It was actually helped out by the boot of a Tranmere player (after the whistle) so the ref was right restarting in with a drop ball. As for the pass back, yes the ref got it wrong and Gillingham should have been given a freekick. Unless the law mentions that a kick by a player from a drop ball cannot be counted as a passback? not 100% sure......

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
lol :lol: i got help on my review. 7,000 is a poor attendance.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Sounded like a poor performance... although the ref didn't help either by the sounds of it. We needed to win that game and now this places a greater need to get results at Huddersfield and Nottm' Forest.

i thought that it was a poor performance to joe. dissapointed with jackson giving away the peno,he should not of let it get that far.we look so disjointed at the back.and as we all know,we have no midfield.jennings was the only lad prepared to shoot,and he wasn't on long.sumerbee was quiet,i expected alot more from him!aiston did his usual stuff,but is it effective?but on a positive not,greenacre looks a class act :!: huddesfield tuesday is an important game. one we need to win!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Well I didn't see the game so couldn't say myself it was a poor performance... I'll leave that to the people who went... but from listening on Tranmere World it sounded fairly poor. I would say that from what i've seen of Aiston he is pretty effective... I think he has had a part in quite a few of our goals... especially at home.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
SCooperSomersaults said:
their goalie didnt look the best but we never tested him at all apart from a couple of high crosses when nobody from our side attacked the ball!

Yes! Something else I forgot to mention. I'm losing my mind in my old age. :wink:

Absolutely right though. The keeper was dodgy. He didn't look at all comfortable with balls in the air. Tranmere should have exploited that.

Another thought. Maybe we should all start naming who you think was the MOM in our post-match posts.

I'll start.

MOM: Sam Aiston
For his perseverance mostly in the second half.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ok Ian, lets start! Good idea...

MOM - Delroy Facey

Worked the line very well, wins headers like I don't think anyone has for Tranmere since the Chief in the 1999/2000 season and works well with Greenacre. May he continue to play so well!