• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Tranmere Rovers (2) v Mansfield Town (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Mansfield

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tranmere Rovers (2) v Mansfield Town (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, March 12, 2024 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, March 12, 2024 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Aldo
Another great win against top the table but perhaps a bit more satisfying than the Stockport win.

Set pieces were key against Stockport but tonight was a great game of football and we deserved the win.

Apter will get the headlines with another excellent goal but so many played well tonight. Mentions for Jennings, Wood and Hendry who were excellent with Regan getting my MOM with the first goal, great energy and excellent link up play. Wood possibly had his best game for us and what can you say about Connor Jennings

You scratch your head that we can beat Stockport, Notts County, Mansfield at home plus get away draws at Mansfield and a point v Crewe at home who are up there. Yet we lose at places like Donny and FGR.

A great night though and won’t do season ticket sales any harm. Apter has scored home and away v Mansfield and if they go up they might try and sign him from Blackpool.

Bring on Wrexham!
I heard Wood got the ifollow MOM (Gareth Roberts)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I heard Wood got the ifollow MOM (Gareth Roberts)
Left backs union! :)

He was very good and didn’t put a foot wrong.

Agree with RLC about Yarney. He was at fault for their goal and misjudged a ball in the second half. Might be harsh but that’s football. Hopefully Davies back for Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't mind Yarney. I think he has better movement than Davies. I would prefer Davies but I certainly don't think he's as bad as some people make out.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
That's not a bad attendance for a Tues night game with nothing to play for. I think it looks worse because of the sections that were empty.
Yes, it was a decent gate in the circumstances.

Crowds have actually held up pretty well this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a good game of football. I didn’t feel it was as comfortable as some of you posting, but after an initial positive response to Robbie Apter’s goal, Mansfield fizzled out and we ended up holding onto the lead without too much trouble.

Agree with the plaudits for Hendry, who’s really stepped up a gear recently, there were some great shimmies tonight, Wood near faultless, Turnbull directing traffic at the back, the sublime Robbie Apter and Connor Jennings popping up everywhere. Can’t separate those five for MoM.

I agree with the concerns expressed about Yarney, had he not picked up a soft booking might have been tempted to push Walker back into a central defensive role. Kieron Morris seemed very out of sorts tonight. I wasn’t convinced that bringing Norris and Dennis on in this game was the right choice by Nigel although it wasn’t fatal. If Saunders was fit enough would prefer to have kept him on, otherwise maybe use Hawkes more in a central role.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It would nice to upset the Hollywood All Stars at the weekend!
It always is!! But it would also complete the set of beating all the top three sides in L2 in 2024. We’ve already thrashed Stockport and taken 4 points off Mansfield. A win on Saturday would be an achievement but this side could do it.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Things are happening at the foot of the table. FGR have moved out of the relegation zone for the first time since we beat them back in November. Their win at Bradford was their fourth in seven and took them above Colchester, whose game was postponed. The Us have two games in hand, but psychologically this will be a blow. Amazing that FGR beat us less than a month ago. Sutton suffered yet another narrow defeat thanks to Elliott Nevitt’s goal and have not kept a clean sheet for 16 games. Surely there is no way back for them.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Where did you hear that, Sparky? NA doesn’t mention in the post-match interview.
Just something on social media so potentially a load of rubbish. Nigel was a bit vague about Merrie not being involved I thought.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes. Was reading Nigel’s programme notes written before the Gillingham game, where he was singing the praises of Merrie’s performance and work ethic while not in the squad, when he came on in the Sutton game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
When Nigel Adkins was appointed Notts County were 20 points ahead of Tranmere.

22 games later Tranmere now place above County.

The only sides to have earned more points than rovers are Mansfield & MK Dons.

Tranmere - P22/W11/D4/L7 - 37pts.
Notts County - P20/W5/D2/L13 - 17pts.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
When Nigel Adkins was appointed Notts County were 20 points ahead of Tranmere.

22 games later Tranmere now place above County.

The only sides to have earned more points than rovers are Mansfield & MK Dons.

Tranmere - P22/W11/D4/L7 - 37pts.
Notts County - P20/W5/D2/L13 - 17pts.
We have to be optimistic about next season under Adkins, although the loss of Apter will be a big blow. He is fundamental to our style of play.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I’m sure Nigel will stick with the compact 4-4-2 approach and use pace on the counter as by and large it’s been working.

Apter will be a massive loss, no doubt about it. Hawkes will likely go so we’ll need some more pace for sure and a bigger goal threat. We’re not a one man team but without Robbie’s goals and assists I suspect we’d still be looking over our shoulder

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, he'll be a huge loss as someone that can create, terrorise defences and score goals on a regular basis. I just hope we get recruitment right this year.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Yes, he'll be a huge loss as someone that can create, terrorise defences and score goals on a regular basis. I just hope we get recruitment right this year.
At least we know what will be missing when Apter goes, which should be helping to focus recruitment. Including the 2 full backs from last season we have lost significant pace from the team. It is now the biggest flaw in this squad and I don't think we really appreciated how slow we were until Robbie rocked up. I've heard that the man with the stopwatch has time for a snooze during sprint training.