• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-0 Oldham

• Thread starter championship_here_we_come
  • Start date
C

championship_here_we_come

fair result would of been a draw imo

good bit of banter between fans, my favorite being
Oldham: stand you if you hate scousers, and most of the tranmere fans started to join in with this chant

1st sending off, zola tripped over his legs after a slight push, linesman gave a freekick, then oldhams player started having a go at the linesman from what i could hear he called him "a f'in cvmt". and then got sent off

2nd sending off, zola fouled near the touchline rightful freekick given, whilst zola still on ground oldhams player boots the ball at his face deserved sending off

refs and assiants overall were poor, oldham won all the 50/50 decisons all day, and then the first sending off was a yellow card foul but i think he got sent off for what he said tho

Ellison was poor very poor, looked unfit and his reactions were worse than my nans

greenacre took his goal well, good cross by shuker to back post headed back acroos by taylor(i think) greenacre sticks in it

shuker tried but thier left back was brilliant and kept him out the match

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not the greatest game of football to watch, but I put that down to Oldham's gritty determination especially in the second half. Having to defend 13 corners which we coped with well.

Very good test of our defensive skills today and the back four performed well. Sherriff was particularly calm and composed and wins my Man of the Match whilst I'm still unsure as to Stockdale's abilities.

Would have like to have seen the midfield a little more involved. I thought Shuker had a quiet game and Ellison proved tricky in the first half, faded a litle in the second before he limped off. But I thought Oldham did well to isolate the wings.

Taylor was most impressive winning the ball and holding it up. Certainly his ball skills are excellent and will be a great provider for Greenacre.

Zola proved quite a handful when he came on and I hope to see more of that determination and strength from him as the season progresses.

Great start though. Three points and there are certainly a lot of positives to take. It's still early days though and the next few matches will prove interesting.

SWA!!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
From what I could figure out listening on 'Matchlive' was a pretty good first half and and fairly poor quality second half.

I think Ellison assisted Greenacre with a header not Taylor. Sounds like Robbie Stockdale & John Mullin had pretty decent games. Greenacre was after every ball and Shuker was marked fairly well. The up point of the second half seemed to be Carl Tremarco's pace when he finally came on, which can only help his aim for a starting position.

But as always I'd love to hear from everyone that was there coz you just can't get enough from the radio commentary.

Alls well that ends well. 3 points is 3 points now matter how you look at it.

Great start.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd agree with Championship... that there could be no complaint if we'd drawn the game, so 3 points welcome. Oldham were on top at the time we scored, Rovers then dominant until half-time. The 2nd half Oldham had more of the possession without making it count, Chris Greenacre had a good chance to make it 2, then the events at the end. If the first sending off was for swearing at the official, fair enough, but it didn't seem Zola was close enough on goal for it to be denial of a clear scoring opportunity. there can be no argument about the second.

Looking at the sections of the team, I'd say this;

Keeper. Ward was solid, one point blank save at the foot of the post in the second half his high-point.

Defence. Thought both central defenders were sound, save Goodison giving away one needless corner, but he was certainly a vast improvement on last year. Sherriff was good on the ball, but not totally convinced left-back his best slot. Stockdale made some crucial clearances, but was another who conceded some silly corners.

Midfield. Both Ellison and Shuker had good workrate, Ellison helping to set up the goal, but there was little by way of crosses until Tremarco came on. The central midfielders were a contrasting pair. Mullin was excellent, always involved, did a lot of talking on the pitch, a bit surprised on what he showed today that he wasn't made captain. McLaren was inconsequential, didn't win many tackles or create anything. McAteer or even Harrison would have had more impact.

Strikers. Chris Greenacre as hardworking as ever and took his goal well. Taylor ok, but he doesn't impose himself on the game. Zola looked hungry when he came on, perhaps he can start to realise his potential.

Black mark.[-X When we had the free-kick after Oldham had their first man sent off, why didn't we try to score with it? Trying time-wasting in the corner when there were 5 minutes of normal time(plus 4 for stoppages) to go is daft. I hope this isn't something coming from der management.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Boz said:
Mullin was excellent, always involved, did a lot of talking on the pitch, a bit surprised on what he showed today that he wasn't made captain.
I can safely say that I'm proud to have John Mullin as my current favourite player. Remember first seeing him when he was originally at Burnley and I saw him score a few on some Sky Sports round ups last season. He will become a intense force in our midfield.

Player
The Sherriff
Pretty tight between the two teams in my opinion. Ward was fine. Stockdale played poorly, but made 2 vital interceptions at key moments near the end.

McCready was shakey to begin with, slipping over and nearly conceding a goal were it not for poor finishing by their 24 but settled in and looked solid in the second half. Goodison was a mixed bag. He got on the end of alot of balls and his mistakes were mostly minor barring a bizarre pass-back to Ward that went for a corner in the First half.

Sherriff looked solid but I feel he is wasted out on the wing. Mullin played some lovely passes but had a few niggly challenges around the center circle which could have been avoided. McLaren seemed to contribute little but just having a player in the holding position makes a difference even if he may not put in any 'hollywood' tackles, certainly the central midfield partnership looked a considerable improvement on last season.

McLaren did have some lovely link up play with shuker before crossing it in for Greenacre who should have got his second. Ellison and Shuker look dangerous in this division without doubt. Shuker looked in form but was unlucky to be up against what I suspect was the best left back in the league after Gareth Roberts.

Ellison is a hit and miss winger, had a miss game today, if a league 1 winger had a great match every time he would be signed upto a Premiership club within the week so I don't think its something to nitpick at. He played poorly but got the assist off the Shuker cross so at least he contributed. Greenacre could have had a hat trick after just putting it past the left hand post from the Kop Stand view twice in the second half.

Taylor played well and was a handful for their defenders which makes it ironic that following his substitution Oldham fell apart, with their number 18 who had been on the pitch all of 5 minutes bringing him down, and yes, he was last man with Zola running through on goal and being directly in line with the incident from the main stand I can say it looked to me the number 18 was all over Zola but that Zola took a few steps and tried to maintain his balance before going down considerably closer to the box than where he was fouled.

The linesman was 5 yards away and told the referee to send the fella off. I never saw their guy even talk to the linesman. He looked like a kid fresh from the yts and turned around to walk back to his box, their players crowded the ref and the linesman and it wasn't until the ref called him back over to the advertising boards by which he was being barricaded that the player seemed to come anywhere near the linesman, that's why I assume the ref sent the player off for the foul.

The other incident was on the opposite side of the pitch and I can't claim to have seen it very clearly but the fact that the other linesman who again was close to Calvin and would have seen both the foul and the supposed stamp would suggest, again, the right decision was made.

The Oldham players just seemed to lose their rags after the first sending off and it was simply amusing to see them crowd around the ref a second time and start making physical contact with the ref following the second red, forcing him against the advertising boards for the second time in 10 minutes. I'm amazed he didn't book any of the protesters. He was only consistent in giving 50/50's to them everytime. :roll:

Overall, we created alot more chances than we did with Little in charge and on the whole I was impressed with the performance, though a second would have made the end more comfortable. The defence will get better and its nice to have a midfield again, Greenacre looks sharp and the team is gelling.

Poor attendance for a first match of the season considering they brought 2000 +. Our fans in the Kop were also outsang as unfortunately much of the upper Kop looked empty. Ronnie Moore's parading before the kick off and the waving at the Oldham fans during the game made entertaining viewing.

The whites are going up \\:D/

#edited by admin to include paragraphs#

Player
Johnny Morrissey
First up, please don't start with the "we are going up" stuff in August! April, I can kinda put up with it if we're 10 pts clear but not after 1 game! Sorry, just me being me but don't like counting the chickens before they're hatched.

As for the game, thought we were good first half. Impressed immensly by Greenacre's work rate off the ball, and his holding the ball up was great today. Scored a good goal, but could easily have had a hat-trick today and he would have deserved that, he was my MOTM really, superb.

Thought we passed the ball pretty well too first half, but unfortunately I think we tended to play longer second half which was ineffective to be honest. But 3 hard-fought points, Oldham were a tough side. The 2 red cards were laughable really. The first was a "slight" clip which Zola went down and made the most of. Hardly a foul, but as someone has said, maybe he was sent off for effing and blinding rather than the foul, although it may be said he was through on goal??? The second, good bit of skill (Zola, skill, in the same sentence,am i right???!!!) and got past their lad. The 35 was clearly getting frustrated so kicked the ball straight at Zola. But again, rolling around did Calvin no favours, nor their lad of course! Bit embarrased for him really. We don't want that kinda stuff (blatent playacting i mean), or at least I don't at my football club.

As for the positives, thought Mullin had a good game in midfield, Greenacre as mentioned previously. But Ian Goodison, like he was last week at Stockport was immense! Won everything, as did Shane Sherrif who was coolness personified at left back, very impressed with him today.

Negatives, a couple, Ellison... his first touch seemed to take him all over the shop. A bad touch led to the injury that means he doubtful for Tuesday now too, wasn't overly impressed with him tbh. And Taylor, he had some good touches but he seems static at times, not closing down (ok I know he's 33 but...) and jumping for headers. Have my doubts over him, but early days and my mind can be changed.

So 3 points, nice to beat Oldham and roll on Tuesday nite...=D>

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
What seemed to be needed and will hopefully develop during the season is a stronger understanding between the two front men. Often Greenacre or Taylor would do well and win the ball, but flick it to a place where the other wasn't or couldn't get to. I'm thinking that the understanding will come with time.

first match of the season im sure the players would have wanted to take all 3 points no matter how the performance panned out.

i know we all wanted a 4-nil but that was never going to happen, maybe cheltenham on tuesday

oldham are a decent side who grafted out some half decent chances, maybe liddell in his heyday would have converted a couple and we all be crying into out pints tonight............. but he never

anyway, as anyone who read my morecambe review (yeah i was there as my photos clearly showed) i explained my apprehensions regarding ellison and stockdale.

someone said ellison was tricky in an earlier post and i would agree except tricky in a paul daniels sort of way. i was talking to a hull fan earlier this week who described him as a "head down headless chicken " sort of a winger which im not sure he meant as a negative or a positive thing.

anyone watching him could clearly see that he kept getting caught out of position whilst defending, not really helping sherrrrrrrifffffffffff to cover the right winger and right back of oldham and it was down this channel where the majority of oldhams attacks came first half

as for his attacking, well i know he assisted in greenacres goal but apart from that his first touch was generally awful.(touch like a rapist springs to mind) his distribution was patchy and can anyone remember him beating a man all game? i cant. did he even cross the ball, i dont think he did. did he do their right back for pace, hmmmmmm again..................

compare him to tremarco in that same position and i would pick tremarco as the left winger every time. soon as he came on he showed pace, determination and crossed the ball, surely what ellison is in the side to do!!!

ok moving onto stockdale, wasnt impressed by him either. he looks solid at the back dont get me wrong and im sure he would be a world class conference player but he just cleared everything long. shuker looked annoyed at the service he was getting from him first half and to be honest stockdale looked scared when he crossed the half way line with the ball.............

they both need to improve apart from that the rest of the lads done well

please let me know what your opinion is on these two players as this forum has been far too quiet this summer. i havent posted any positives about the game because if you were there today then you dont need me to tell you what they were. especially after enduring the sh*t of the last few years with BL.

come on the whites

=D> =D> =D>

S

Seanyb

On the sending offs, there first was never a sending off. Zola stumbled over himself and took the slightest of knocks from the defender. So i felt a bit sorry for there player, but i got over that!! The second one was right in front of where i was sitting. When Zola fell to ground the player shoulder barging him stamped on Zolas chest, but the the other defender whacked the ball at him. Does anyone know which of the two players got sent off? The stamp was horrific but i do not think that that was spotted by the ref. Did anyone else see that happen?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I seem to be in the minority in commenting that Ellison had a decent game. Does anyone else agree with this? Also, Taylor showed that he can win and hold the ball. Again, not many positives for him. Maybe I need glasses... finally.

On the subject of the attendance. I was a tad disappointed that we didn't hit 10k. The usual empty spaces in the home ends were evident. Shame, really, but then after reading in the programe that season ticket sales were down 20% not entirely surprised.

I do believe we'll draw more through the gates if we have a decent season. After the bedlam last season, it's no wonder confidence is low.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Good start I think we're capabe of more though. Looking forward to a good season hopefully lol. Come on Rovers.

DixieDean

Ian said:
I seem to be in the minority in commenting that Ellison had a decent game. Does anyone else agree with this?

I thought he was awful mate. Ok, he did assist in the goal, but other than that his touch was very poor and he sold himself (and was then skinned) on a number of occasions when trying to close down opponents.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
@Seanyb - yeah Zola was first stamped on, then had the ball kicked at him. Disgraceful, but also amusing at how much Oldham had lost their rags.

@Ian - Ellison is the kind of player that will look hopeless one minute then do something creative the next. He's an outlet and definitely not a waste of space the way some of our "supporters" seem to think he is after they've seen him play one game. Just by being in that advanced position and trying things he kept their right back occupied. Okay so he didn't put in a world-beating performance, in fact by his own standards he probably felt he did play poorly - but he's a better winger than Tremarco because he is a winger, not a fullback played out of position.

@b_h - A good start but we're capable of more sums it up very very nicely!

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
Breif Summary

I was at the game on Saturday and thought I would say a few things,

The game in some parts was frustrating as Tranmere pressed on several occasions and were broken down by in my opinion a quality Oldham midfield.(There number 10 was rather like Paul Cool - Great balls all the time). Its only early on in the season so criticism isn’t really just at this stage but I can see why people have voiced concerns about Stockdale and Elision who I agree were under performing.

On a brighter note, we won 1-0 :lol: . It was great to see the boys in White show they can play football again! I honestly thought I would never see it for some years as the club has been mismanaged for at least the last 5 years. Some good purchasers by Moore who showed there value today.

Goalkeeper - Gavin Ward: Pulled off a few decent saves and generally had a good game. I couldn’t fault him at all 8/10

Defender - Robbie Stockdale: Whilst under performing in the 1st half showed some decent passes and linked up well with Shuker on the right near the end 6/10

Defender - Chris McCready - In my opinion a challenger for "Man of The Match" (MOTM). Some great clearances tackle's as well as putting his all into the game. I can see him being a quality signing this season 8/10

Defender Ian Goodison - Shakey start for Ian but again he shows he is a good professional and always puts his all into the match. Some good tackles and distribution work as well as good defending during the 20 corners...... 7/10

Defender - Shane Sherriff - Good performance from start to finish, another challenger for MOTM. In my opinion he is no captain but time will tell. 8/10

Midfield - Chris Shuker - Good game from Chris, he looked bright in periods but was man marked by two huge men on the wing. Great ball in the box for Chrisy G's goal. 7/10

Midfield - John Mullin - Solid game in front of the home crowd. Whilst he boasts little pace his passing and general game awareness is great. I look forward to seeing more from John 6.5/10

Midfield - Paul McLaren - If I am being honest I have to admit I didn’t even notice him in the 1st half. That’s not to say he didn’t do well because often those types of players play the best. He did well in the 2nd half getting up for headers and tackled well. Another 6.5/10 (Better than Jennings :whistle: )

Midfield - Kevin Ellison - Disappointing Kevin..... His 1st touch is abysmal; I honestly hope that is just a lack of sharpness. He had several attractive runs down the left and has a good header. 5/10

Forward - Chris Greenacre- Another challenger for MOTM as well, Chris runs for 90 minutes and puts in great performances time after time. He will bag a hat full this season ( even though he missed 2 other goals :-D )

Forward - Gareth Taylor - 1st half he was great heading the ball onto Chris. I think Gareth will play a "Gary Jones" type role this season. Whilst people may think he never really got into the game having him on the pitch contributed to our victory.... Simple as! 6.5/10

Sub: Calvin Zola: Ran like a headless chicken when he came on the pitch. After reading match reports it seems the Oldham manager was not happy with the 1st sending off... Perhaps he has a point about you can’t touch any-one near the box these days but he was the last man so shut up Sheridan. 2nd Sending off was blatant, enough said 6.5/10 (0.5 for getting 2 sent off)

Subs : Carl Tremarco - Solid performance from Carl, I like this lad and hope he gets a few games this season, whether or not he can play at this level for 90 mins time after time is to be seen , however, I do look forward to seeing him give his best shot. 7/10

Subs Unused - Achterberg,Davies,McAteer

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Seanyb said:
On the sending offs, there first was never a sending off. Zola stumbled over himself and took the slightest of knocks from the defender. So i felt a bit sorry for there player, but i got over that!! The second one was right in front of where i was sitting. When Zola fell to ground the player shoulder barging him stamped on Zolas chest, but the the other defender whacked the ball at him. Does anyone know which of the two players got sent off? The stamp was horrific but i do not think that that was spotted by the ref. Did anyone else see that happen?

I think their 1st sending off was because what he said to the lineo when he gave the foul. The second one made me laugh I just couldnt help myself but Zola was roling on the floor then the next minute hes up and acting like normal quality. The player did deserve to go do, you dont kick a ball at someone whle they are down unless they are a goalkeeper lol

DixieDean

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
He's (Ellison) an outlet and definitely not a waste of space the way some of our "supporters" seem to think he is after they've seen him play one game.

I don't recall anyone calling him a waste of space in this thread (or did i miss something)....

This is a thread for the Tranmere v Oldham game, so people will comment on what they've seen in that one game.

I for one thought he had a poor game, but that doesn't mean i've written him off for the season. I'm sure all 'supporters' would not be so short sighted as to write him off yet.

Unless of course you are saying that we shouldn't comment on anyone until we've played 10 games? Does that mean we shouldn't praise Sherriff for his good performance just in case he's crap next week? No, don't be silly... #-o

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I'm not slagging anyone off anyone on this board for their opinions, quite the opposite I love to hear opinions, particularly informed ones.

What it was, there was an IDIOT sat in the upper kop who called Ellison pretty much every name under the sun during the match, seems this chap has found his new hate figure now that most of the Little era rubbish have departed. It's the first match of the new season, a new manager and a new start and yet that so-called supporter just wanted to slag a player off non-stop in what was of course his first competitive match for the club. Makes no sense, other than left over frustration from the mess of last season.

Mind you, you do get all sorts in the upper kop - the muppets that sing 'easy, easy, easy' endlessly,- you also get several people wearing Ev*rton branded sportswear. So perhaps I shouldn't put too much stock in hearing things like that.

DixieDean

well give that guy a slap. I dont understand people who go to football matches to moan. I doubt that guy has anything positive to say during the game does he? Probably just waits for something to moan about. There are a few like that around my seat and I'd love to just frogmarch them out the door and give them a kick up the hoop for their troubles.