• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-3 Bournmouth

Player
Johnny Morrissey
If I was Les, which I'm not - I'm much taller, I would be trying to get crosses into the box. Only problem is that we don't really have a winger at all, let alone 2 to be able to do that!

Enoch is 6ft 5, if we could get some decent crosses into the box for him, he might look a bit more dangerous than he does at present. I think he's had 1 chance in the 3 games I've watched this season, and that was a header from a good cross by Cresswell.

ITM is a centre forward so that would allow him to play his favoured position (should he still be at the club). Brown is a big lad too and looked useful in the centre forward position at Huddersfield, he could benefit from crosses into the box too.

It would also see McLaren out on his ear, which for me would be a good thing. With the current squad it would still be square pegs in round holes, but this 4-3-3 is effectively doing that anyway, Terry Gornell a wide midfielder???

GK Collister/Nielsen
Darville Goodison Broomes Bakayogo
Mackreth Welsh Labadie Cresswell
ITM Enoch

That would be my preferred choice. At least give it a go.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I just watched the highlights on Tranmere World. Bearing in mind we were the home team, it showed just one highlight from the home side, highlighting how bad were really were. A shot from Showunmi late on which went over the bar. The other 2m 30s it was all Bournemouth. They took their goals really well, excellent on the counter. We are so far away from being that clinical in front of goal it's scary.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Les has burnt his bridges somewhat with his formation ideas as he said pre season he didnt like having wingers in the squad when we have small budget as they are kind of lxury players. Consequently, we dont really have any natural wingers other than Fraughan, who is by no means the finished article.
So its great that he is conisdering changing from 4-3-3 but do we have the players who can put decent crosses in and play like wingers ? i dont agree with Les that he cant play 4-4-2 at home and 4-3-3/4-5-1 away.

As everyone knows, on Saturday, we had played 3 center forwards with 2 playing wide (people keep criticisng Gornell but he is a centre forward and has never been given a run in the team in the middle). We ended the game with 4 center forwards on with our only winger playing in the middle. It was a joke.

Enoch probably wishes he never came as he has probably never worked so hard for nothing. If i was ITM i would leave as soon as I could.

Agree with earlier comments that whilst i felt Les deserved a shot at the job, he clearly isnt up to it as some of his signings have been questionable (Wood etc), persiting with McClaren, and signing too many defenders

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The only explanation I can find in persisting with McLaren is that he's one of the old pro's in a relatively young side. Clutching at straws, yeah!..

Also, I was a little bemused at Les's post match comments about us approaching the game in a gung-ho fashion. Gung-ho!! Wow, anyone who didn't see the game might have thought we'd gone for the jugular! lol

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
If I was Les, which I'm not - I'm much taller, I would be trying to get crosses into the box. Only problem is that we don't really have a winger at all, let alone 2 to be able to do that!

Enoch is 6ft 5, if we could get some decent crosses into the box for him, he might look a bit more dangerous than he does at present. I think he's had 1 chance in the 3 games I've watched this season, and that was a header from a good cross by Cresswell.

ITM is a centre forward so that would allow him to play his favoured position (should he still be at the club). Brown is a big lad too and looked useful in the centre forward position at Huddersfield, he could benefit from crosses into the box too.

It would also see McLaren out on his ear, which for me would be a good thing. With the current squad it would still be square pegs in round holes, but this 4-3-3 is effectively doing that anyway, Terry Gornell a wide midfielder???

GK Collister/Nielsen
Darville Goodison Broomes Bakayogo
Mackreth Welsh Labadie Cresswell
ITM Enoch

That would be my preferred choice. At least give it a go.

Sounds good to me. I always advocate balance and with this side it is sorted down the left. Don't know much about Mackreth and limited alternatives save doing same down right as you suggest on the left eg push Darville forward and stick Cathalina or Broomes behind him and stick Blanchard in the middle of back four if required.

Les talks about luxury players, but players who can run and work, BUT cannot keep the ball are a bigger luxury.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Didn't Broomes once play down the right? I seem to remember him getting in some crosses and doing OK in that position. Anything to get Gornell out the side. lol =;

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Think he did and i thought he was reasonably solid as stand in right back, which would give Darville or Cathalina a chance to play further forward if any better suited.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Just remembered my highlight of the game, which I don't think anybody has mentioned yet. When the 4th official couldn't open his bag of new balls after we hoofed our first (of several) over the JK - quite amusing. The biggest/only cheer of the afternoon from the Rovers faithful was when he replaced the next ball without further misadventure.

I think that just about sums up how bad this game was ... ](*,)

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Didn't Broomes once play down the right? I seem to remember him getting in some crosses and doing OK in that position. Anything to get Gornell out the side. lol =;

In theory, much of the burden for providing width down that right hand side should be shouldered by Darville. This isn't happening and I feel a bit sorry for Terry. He's operating as one of three strikers, not as a right winger - conceptualise his role as that of an inside foward if you like. He's not there to hug the touchline and whip crosses in. If we replacd him with Broomes we'd be straying into 4-5-1 territory and would almost certainly end up even more defensive and negative than we already are. If we are to persist with the 4-3-3 then I would welcome Broomes at right-back for reasons you've already outlined.