• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-3 Bournmouth

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Very poor performance. I retain the view that Wood is a Sunday League defender, too lightweight for this level of football and made an absolute mess of a relativley straightforward situation for their second goal. Fullbacks did a job, Cresswell was good first half anyway. Mclaren anonymous (shock), Welsh has come back from pre-season looking very unfit and lacking in general sharpness, Labadie's good but lost his discipline today - sort of can't blame him. Enoch tried but isn't very good, captain ITM didn't get a look in before strangely being subbed by Parry. Stormed down the tunnel and suspect that may be the last we see of him - can't blame him for leaving 'cause we really are ****, aren't we. Did Terry Gornell touch the ball? Think I vaugley remember him running into brick walls a few times but I'm not too sure 'cause I spent most of the game with my head in my hands. If my hair was long enough to be ripped out, I would be bald.

Second half substitutes played well but I had no idea where anybody was meant to be playing and the shape of the team was an absolute embarassing mess.

1 point from 3 games, two at home, both winnable on paper. Not looking good.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
1 SHOT ON GOAL in 95 minutes of play!
pre season was a shambles and today we sore the result !
how long will it take to bed this buch into a team ?
3/4 months
to late and good night .

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Would like to add that, while I can understand the frustration of our fans sometimes, today's defeat was not through a lack of effort on anyones part and it's annoying when individual players are subjected to criticism from certain sections every time they touch the ball. If you go to the game to support the team, then support the team, kinda thing.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Hmm - in the film Spinal Tap, one of their albums gets a simple 2 word review 'Sh*t Sandwich' and that would seem to be apt for today's performance. However I might as well add a few of my own thoughts.

That was dreadful today. Apart from the opening few minutes where we did okay, we then collapsed to three goals ALL of which began with a Tranmere attack. The team at the moment is not good enough. We don't have a goalkeeper that inspires any confidence (not wanting to knock Collister he's a young lad but on todays performance he doesn't look ready for this - I was not at Huddersfield so people may have different views on him), the lack of pace throughout the team is disturbing, the persistance in playing Mclaren is baffling, as is Les' faith in Terry Gornell who is not and never will be a league 1 player. Enoch is a poor quality carthorse, ITM looks totally hacked off (understandable when all we did was hoof hoof hoof, and then was subbed), Labadie got stuck in but lost his discipline, I agree with Sonkorlys thoughts on Wood and Welsh huffs and puffs to little avail.

Unless something changes we are going down this season and this is why - we cannot create chances, let alone put them away. I agree that it wasn't for lack of effort, but the mood and fight evident towards the end of last season has evaporated very very quickly and i fear that the crowd will turn on Les very quickly.

My own feeling (and I said this at the time) is that Les should have stepped down in the summer, and we should have appointed an experienced manager (Johnson take note - the likes of Ronnie Moore would be ideal) to keep us up. We have to be realistic about what we can achieve at Tranmere. It's very very unlikely we can win league 1 but no reason at all why we should not be able to stay up. Sadly I can't see it happening this year with the current squad.

Maybe there are those who disagree - I did as it happens have my head in my hands for long periods of that utter turd of a performance I attended today so maybe I missed something.

DIW

Player
Goodison
And another thing - who is that tit of a substitue who for the past two home games has spent half time when we are losing mucking about in the the penalty area laughing, grinning and knocking balls into an empty net and celebrating imaginary goals. What a knob.

Patience required

Far far too early in the season to be making judgements.

What we saw today was a team who over achieved last week away at Huddersfield, and didnt that give cause for optimism, get punished for some basic mistakes.

What many of the players lack is experience. And there is only one way to get that.
We must stay off the younger players backs - expect mistakes as long as they learn.

The subs made were explainable - taking off players who looked likely to get sent off, sensible foresight/planning by Les. The game was already lost by then, think of the next games.

If there is blame to be handed out then perhaps the established pros need to look at themselves, McLaren springs to mind.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After two good performances, the inexperience of our back line showed today, and boy did they blow up in spectacular fashion. I may feel slightly foolish for praising Wood and Darville now but, honestly, they did play well in the previous two matches: that is the problem with having inexperienced players as back up for injuries, they are likely to be horribly inconsistent.

Wood had an absolute shocker, and the right hand side of our defence was simply non-existent at times. I would certainly say he was to blame for the second and third goals, and possibly the first also and I think Les should have subbed him at half time. Changes definitely needed for Tuesday.

I think it is difficult to talk about the overall performance when you defend as badly as we did today. We played some decent stuff in the first ten or fifteen minutes, carrying on where we left off at Huddersfield, and then committed suicide. I thought Showunmi actually had a decent game today, but was very isolated again, particularly when we threw a number of balls into the box in the first half.

Obviously, the first two home games have been dismal, but I still think it is too early to panic yet as there were encouraging signs in the away matches. Lessons have to be learned from today, however.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would totally agree with Sonko about Wood he is toally inept far too easily brushed off the ball and not a league 1 player by any standards.

Looking at our squad and the starting eleven today we are really slow in defence the midfield is awful and cannot close a man down and i really struggle to see where the goals will come from.

Its early days but the two home game have been awful & without investment in the squad think the inevitable will happen in relagation.

Oh for a ray of light

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just under a year ago I left Prenton Park feeling utterly despondent having seen us tanked 0-4 by Charlton. Nearly 12 months later, has anything much changed??

I tend to agree with BootleRover (it does happen now and then:lol:) that it does no good getting on the young players backs and that some of the more established pros weren't pulling their weight today. Midfield being a case in point, as when Welsh lost the ball, he didn't track back at all, leading to their first goal. McLaren, after a decent game last week, reverted to type.

There will inevitably be changes for the Swansea game, as getting past that gives us a hope of a money-spinning tie. Let's hope something turns up.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Based upon what?

Based on the fact that he looked fitter and more mobile than in the previous three matches. Disagree with me if you want, but if you think Showunmi was our biggest problem today you must have been watching a different game.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
He tried at least. I warm to Enoch - he's not very good really, but he was probably one of our better players today - not that that says much. Ideally I'd like to see him in a 4-4-2.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Based on the fact that he looked fitter and more mobile than in the previous three matches. Disagree with me if you want, but if you think Showunmi was our biggest problem today you must have been watching a different game.

No I agree with all that actually - wouldn't have gone as far to say that he had a 'decent' game though. Despite the improvement he is still a poor player.
However he did put the effort in I suppose.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Showunmi was one of our better players. He put in a lot of effort and won a lot of balls in the air, sadly to no avail. He had Gornell to the right of him and ITM to the left. How are we ever going to score goals playing like that? What's really sad is that nothing seems to have changed from last season. In the bottom four and losing 3-0 at home. It's going to be another long, hard season.

Player
Goodison
I'm sorry to say it, but after that disgraceful performance Les does not have a clue what he's doing and is becoming increasingly out of his depth.

This defeatist 4-3-3 is the most bizzare tactical ploy by a Tranmere manager since Brian Little wasted Goodison at left wing back. The 4-3-3 sometimes works away from home, when the opposition has an off day or their useless (Stockport), but at home it just gives teams far too much space and time on the ball. Bournemouth were queing up to shoot at times yesterday. The 4-3-3 only works if you have a good defensive midfielder and a front 3 who can play anywhere in attack are a mobile - we have Showoddoddy who turns like a cargo ship, Gornell who get's out paced by an OAP with a zimmer frame and ITM who spent the whole game sulking.

Les does not seem to understand that we simply do not have the players to play his stupid 4-3-3. And that is his fault. I know the club has a limited budget, but he has still brought players in and has wasted money e.g. Why sign a right back in Cathalina, then bring in another right back on loan when we don't have a right winger at all?! Yes Cathalina is injured, but just play Creswell/Bakayogo there instead. Parry's decision making is bewildering at times, his persistance with playing McLaren is bizzare, his belief that Darville has been "brilliant for us" is delusional and his tactics are non existent.

Yesterday Les supposedly changed to a 4-4-2 in the 2nd half, he had Gornell and Brown out wide! How do you play 4-4-2 with two centre forwards out wide? It simply does not work, rather than bringing on Brown for McLaren, it would have seemed logical to bring on Fraughan to play left wing, given the fact he is a left winger. I suppose that would mean playing players in the right positon which Parry obviously has a reluctance to do. His decision to take off ITM was odd as well, yes he spent the game sulking but he's our only striker capable of scoring a goal surely it would have made sense to take Gornell off and put ITM on the right wing as he's at least competent there. When ITM was taken off, Parry ignored him, not the best piece of man management when your trying to make him sign a new contract!

Player Ratings:
Collister 6: Made some good saves, possibly could have done better for the 1st goal but was left totally exposed.

Darville 3: Put in some strong tackles but has no positional sense whatsoever, leaves Wood and Goodison totally exposed down the right side.

Wood 1: This guy is not a football league player, he looks like a sunday league junior football player. No presence. No positional sense. No confidence. No ability. Goodison must have nightmares of playing with him.

Goodison 5: Made some good interceptions, but looked totally exasperated with the incompetence surronding him. He needs Blanchard next to him ASAP.

Creswell: 4: Looked good going forward but he gets cut up so easily when he defends. Lacks positional sense.

Welsh 3: His passing was awful and he's clearly spent the summer down the pub.

McLaren 1: No need to describe how dire he is. Can we set up a McLaren fund to pay off his contract?

Labadie 4: Got stuck in but lost his dicipline

Gornell 1: No pace, no touch, no idea. Awful.

ITM 3: Spent the game sulking had one decent chance.

Showoddywoddy 5: Put himself about a bit and looked quicker and fitter than before. Lacked effectiveness though.

Subs:

Fraughan 7: Passed the ball to someone in white:shock: and created some opportunities.

McGurk 4: Didn't do much, don't see what all the fuss is about!

Brown 4: Some good runs but gave ball away for 3rd goal, head down all the time.

Man of the Match: Fraughan as he actually played like a footballer.

O

OneNightInGayParis

This was my first match of the new season and I really hope I just chose the worst out of the first 4! Surely we can't have played like this so far, especially with all the positive noises being made after Walsall and Huddersfield?

I don't want to repeat what has been said but the defence were slow and uncoordinated; the right side (Wood and Darville) was particularly weak with all three goals coming via that route. The midfield never gained any measure of control with the frustration clearly getting to Labadie who was, IMO, lucky to stay on the pitch. Les's decision to take him off was the right one but I couldn't understand why ITM came off. Yes, he had picked up a yellow, but if you can't trust your captain to keep a lid on it why is he in the position anyway? Taking off the skipper, especially when he is your most prolific goalscorer and there is talk about his future, smacked of a "statement" by Les. I sincerely hope I'm wrong ...

Terry Gornell does what it says on the tin - nothing. Enoch showed some committment but, half close your eyes, and you could be watching Bas. I can't see how we have benefitted from releasing Curran and Savage.

I thought Brown showed some neat touches when he came on, and the real plus was Ryan Fraughan. I really would like to see him start a game as part of a midfield 4 since, with some protection around him, I think he is capable of playing the killer ball to ITM or Enoch. Pigs may fly, but drop Gornell and McClaren and replace with Brown and Fraughan and we might have a pretty well balanced 4-4-2!

As per opening comment I really hope this was the worst performance by a distance - if not, it's not too early to panic!

Player
Goodison
As per opening comment I really hope this was the worst performance by a distance - if not, it's not too early to panic!

It was our worst performance, but we were pretty terrible against Oldham as well. With hindsight the draw against Huddersfield appears to have been achieved against a team wallowing in complaceny - they lost 4-2 having been 2-0 up on sat and the win against Walsall was against a team who are not very good, in a competition which does probably not matter a great deal to them in comparision to the league.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This defeatist 4-3-3 is the most bizzare tactical ploy by a Tranmere manager since Brian Little wasted Goodison at left wing back.
Speaking of Brian Little, I discovered yesterday that he was on 200k a year managing us. Wow.. :shock:

Anyway, like you say, the pedestrian 433 can work away from home and it has. We currently have a better away record than home this season, but surely he must scrap the 433 at home. Jesus, it's so predictable and boring.

Bournemouth are a decent team. They have players that can score goals, and they had our defence in tatters. But we must be more adventurous at home. I want to see balls being played on the floor, using width and movement. Surely that is not beyond them. We played slightly better football when Parry made changes to the team and formation, but the game was dead and buried by then.

I'm not sure what to read into Les Parry's post match comments, but I wonder if he's thinking of changing to 442?

"We changed to 4-4-2 in the second half to try to get more crosses in the box. I'm not into playing one system at home and one system away. If we go 4-4-2 it will be home and away."

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I disagree with some of what's been written, but haven't the inclination to dissect it point by point. Yesterday was fairly painful and I'd like to erase it from the memory asap. However, of the 3 opponents I've seen us play, Bournemouth are the best, clinical on the break and worthy winners. If they can keep the current squad together, probably upper mid-table.

Last season when we played 3 up front, ITM, Curran, Savage, Shuker and Sordell were all fairly interchangeable, while Ricketts and Gornell best suited to the main striker role. Showumni, Gornell and Brown are all best suited to a central role, the latter caused quite a bit of havoc in the home defence when coming on for Enoch last weekend, but made minimal impact this time round. I don't feel able to assess McGurk from 20 minutes when we're already 3 goals down, but anyone who could transform the game in such circumstances clearly would be getting better offers than a 1 year deal from Tranmere!! Agree going to 442 with the players we've got is probably the best hope, along with using our remaining wage money to attract a winger.