• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Torquay v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was a poor decision by MM. We should have played the strongest team regardless of the next match. The league games are far more important.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
For about the first month of the season we play two games a week, so I'm not convinced there's a pressing need to rest anyone when we're playing the same number of games now. I would like to hear MMs reasoning for the team selection today and in particular the absence of Cook.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I get the impression that Palios is putting a lot of pressure on Mellon to get to Wembley given the PR that has come out of the club this week, perhaps for financial reasons. I can understand the decision to rest Cook, but on Saturday not tonight. If Stockton had played at Macclesfield we would still have ground out a draw.

It is all very strange.........

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Financially surely it's better to get back into the FL than make the Final of the FA Trophy? It would be worrying if it was correct Mark is meddling in team selection that way.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not suggesting Palios is involved in team selection, but Mellon has taken the Trophy surprisingly seriously all along. We have only made wholesale changes once, at Chelmsford, and the club are really hyping the Macclesfield game on Saturday.

Perhaps the Paliosi wanted the feel good factor of a cup run after what happened under Brabin, but the fallout from failing to win promotion would far outweigh any positivity generated by a Wembley appearance.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
At least the SWA surpassed the 100 mark on a very mild evening at the very neat and tidy Plainmoor Stadium in front of a sparse crowd. Good facilities for away supporters with a great seated view from the fairly new main stand.
Very disappointing game to be honest. Torquay were a poor side really there for the taking and even though we clearly must have been below par we could and should have won this one. We started reasonably but frankly Cole just could not seem to get hold of the ball and Andy Mangan was very disappointing. Toothless up front coupled with the two wing backs although trying hard just could not get a single dangerous ball into the box and almost all our dead ball opportunities were also wasted with Jeff Hughes having a mixed performance far off his best.
There just did not seem to be any cohesion and understanding in our play. On a couple of occasions In Particular Connor Jennings got hold of the ball and spread the play into space with a promising situation developing only to be squandered. We tried hard to let Torquay into the game and they seemed surprised to be still in the contest and worryingly started to grow in confidence and went close mainly from distance.
The only half decent chance was for Cole Stockton who managed for once to use strength to hold off Mc Ginty and turn making space for a shot from about 12 yards which he struck well but straight at their keeper. Besides that I can't recall a single clear cut opening created.
There was one positive in that Connor Jennings was excellent throughout showing speed good awareness and quality well above anybody else on the pitch although he must have been very frustrated that his efforts were in vain and he must have a lot of bruises as well as a bloody nose once Torquay realised that they had to try to nullify his threat at any cost. Of the rest Jay Harris had a typical busy combative display and was one of the few to emerge with much credit. However it was not a lack of effort at all from the rest, just failing to click together.
Liam R seemed to pick up an injury early on which didn't help but he did not seem to be able to do a lot right as an offensive player.
James Norwood looks down on confidence and a shadow of the player I recall and he hardly got a kick when he came on. Funny enough pre match Adam Dawson was putting in excellent low and high crosses into the box for the strikers to attack and try to put away. Nors was amusing skiing them, slicing wide, fresh air shots and just couldn't hit a barn door. On the basis of the warm up alone Dawson looked quality but pity he didn't come on for a twenty minute gallop.
Sorry guys two points given away and on the evidence of this not many signs of going on a winning streak of wins to chase down the top spot. Despite all of that perhaps once the a couple of players return we may be better placed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I honestly believe like someone mentions above, they've given up on the title, will settle for the playoffs and will play their strongest team on Saturday to do all they can to get to Wembley. It makes sense to me after tonights bizarre team selection and financially its a winner.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks Brightonian, shame you couldn't see a win tonight. Seen it all before trying to bring the full backs into play and relying on their crossing to create chances. It ends up in us creating very little as the quality isn't there and makes the squad seem very disjointed.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report Brightonian. MM's comments echoed your own, saying we played reasonably well up until the eighteen yard box but with no final ball. At least he seemed reasonably upbeat after the game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks toofrom me, Brightonian. It was a long way to go for a dull and disappointing game.

As always, I try to find positives. Apart from the lack of any new injuries (I understand), the other results help to cement our place in the play-offs. I would estimate the usual points total of about 80-81 would be enough, which means a little over a point a game might suffice. However, I'd like to see us go into the play-offs in good form.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Appreciate the report, Brightonian. It seems that things just didn't click last night, even when we brought our 'main' strikers on. I don't think it's realistic to expect full-backs deployed as wing-backs to deliver large numbers of decent crosses in the way an out and out winger would. Tactical re-think required. Mekki not used and Dawson didn't make the bench again. Encouraging about Connor Jennings and hopefully Micky will now give him an extended run in the side.

If it is to be the play-offs, then Rovers need to maintain some momentum. The last time we were in a similar position, we had given up on an automatic spot and coasted through the last league games only to be unable to step up a gear, not aided by a weird team selection for the away game at Hartlepool.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report Brightonian. MMs preference of the 5-3-2 at the moment, in overall terms, is not producing good performances (apart from poss Barrow 2nd half), and results save Chester.

The Dawson situation is driving me mad! Several weeks ago Mike Jackson said Adam had some personal issues (family bereavement) but was back in training and available. Since that time we've seen Tollit, Dunn & Kirby all get injured and MM has changed from 4-4-2 to 5-3-2. Also since that time Adam has been training on match days with the squad in the warm up (as Brightonian says), so he must be available even if just for a cameo from the bench, yet he's not getting a look in. I could understand this if we were playing well and winning but we are not. Mekki did well against Barrow but lets be honest, over the course of a long period of games he isn't going to play well consistently enough. Someone in the media needs to ask MM what is the situation with Dawson - at least we'll know either way! What a waste though.

I bet the likes of Cook see Dawson as a real potential provider of crosses, corners & free kicks that the big man thrives on - yet at the moment he gets the odd decent cross from Ridehalgh and that's about it. I'm glad Connor J is back but that makes me think MM will stick with 5-3-2 even more and I don't think that gets the best out of our front men. We have one of the best target men in the league (plus Nors), yet we are starving them of any service and good delivery out wide.

Just watched the brief extract of MMs post match interview. He admits we worked hard but lacked that quality and composure in the final third and failing to beat the first man when crossing. One thing Dawson can do is put a good ball in the box.

Quiet whispers are linking us with Dale Jennings who would be a good wide option but he can't be fit at all (unless he's been training with us in hiding). Surely we could have brought another winger in albeit temporary and have Dawson/Mekki as the other option?

Our early MM form sees us still sitting comfortably in the play offs but the way we are playing at the moment it would not surprise me if the gap between us and 6th starts to shorten. Saturday is a massive game - not just for the Wembley carrot - but it could do wonders for the mood in the camp. I'm sure the players aren't happy with the way we are playing at the moment and there could be some confidence issues, especially with the strikers.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
P.s - just to be clear, I am not Adam Dawson in disguise !

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Dale Jennings in the form he was with us last time could make all the difference. But as we found when Jason Koumas started playing again, it took him time to get match fit and he never was quite the same player. However, I do remember a while back hearing that Dale was training with us. If so, he should be reasonably fit by now, but it would be a big risk and we shouldn't rely on him.

drwhoman

MM needs to do something. We have been too reliant on the defence and Cook all season. This seemed to change when Tollett was playing but it has all become very ordinary again. Not quite Brabin but going that way.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They certainly need to up their performances as of late they have been quite ordinary. Im with Sparky, the Dawson situation is a strange one. When we are crying out for creativity like last night seems ridiculous to have that as an option and not use it.

Player
Manager
John King
The only full ninety minutes I have seen Dawson play since he came back was against Bootle in the Senior Cup. He was abysmal, literally the worst player on the pitch against a bunch of part-timers.

It is chicken and egg: is he failing to impress because Mellon has no faith in him, or does Mellon have no faith in him because his attitude and performances in training are awful ? I don't think we will ever know, but if he shows the same attitude on the training ground as he did in that Bootle game (where Mekki and Jennings both worked really hard incidentally) I can understand why Mellon does not use him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't understand the way Dawson has been totally sidelined either though unlike Sparky I'm not his greatest fan. What RLC says about not making a positive impression when given an opportunity is valid, now his domestic issues are out of the way might things have changed?

Player
Manager
John King
Returning to last night's game, Mellon is usually quite honest with his after-match comments and from listening to his full interview it seems we did not play too badly, despite the result. It was very weak of Derek Jones not to ask him about Cook however.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As much as I like Derek Jones (but not that clown Doyle), he's not the most pressing or confrontational of interviewers......although he's a very nice chap

If we win on Saturday all will be forgiven if a visit to Wembley is achieved