• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Torquay v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers face the long trip to Torquay in what is a must win game really at this stage of the season. Not just for 3 points but to give us some confidence ahead of the Macc game on Sat. Despite the hosts having a last minute win at Southport on Saturday, this sort of game we should be winning if we are to maintain a healthy position in the play offs (I've given up any chance of catching Lincoln).

Ex rover loannee Sean McGinty still features as does recently released Wrexham striker Shaun Harrad.

As for the rovers line up, as MM says we're down to the bare bones. Expect the starting 11 to be different from Saturday with Vaughan in for Buxton and Connor in for namesake Steve. Only other possible change is to bring Mangan in for Norwood. Personally I'd consider playing Connor up top alongside Cookie but that only leaves Mekki as the option behind the front 2.

Alternately MM could go completely crazy and play Adam Dawson !

Prediction: an uninspiring narrow victory for rovers.

Other games tomorrow see Macc entertain in form Gateshead. Dover travel to Boreham Wood and FGR travelling to Sutton. It'll be soooooooooo disappointing if play off rivals Dover and FGR pick up away wins and we don't.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Torquay's home form is generally decent, think only Lincoln of our promotion rivals have won at Plainmoor this season.

Rovers have felt stale in the last few games and we don't have the options to change things. Agree with Sparky re the likely starting xi and we do need a wide player Mekki/Dawson on the bench.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky re. the starting eleven. I think C Jennings will definitely play, as will Vaughan as Buxton did not look as comfortable in the wing back role as in a back four.

I had not realised how good Torquay's home record is, albeit their win at Southport was their first in a while and they have been in poor form for weeks. I think this game could follow a similar pattern to last year's meeting. which was a scrappy affair won narrowly by Rovers.

I still have not completely given up on catching Lincoln, but the three points are vital to secure our play-off place, with Gateshead and Aldershot rapidly making up ground.

I did intend to take a couple of days off and go to this, but I can't make it now. It will be interesting to see how many SWA do travel: this could be our fist sub-100 away crowd since Exeter six years ago (45 as I remember it).

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Well there will be at least 2 SWA attending as we will be making the just over 400 mile round trip for what will be the first match this year. Hope to post a match report after the game as we are staying over, albeit not such an informed analysis as RLC without the benefit of recent experience.
Looking forward to the match and feel fairly confident that we will find a way to come away with the points. Hopefully Connor Jennings will play and make his mark for a regular spot in the starting lineup. Does not seem too many options with the formation given all the injuries but at least we do have options in attack.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Enjoy the game Brightonian. I agree with Boz. We've looked a bit stale last few games. Really need a win here but I think like RLC says, it will be a tense scrappy game. I can see a draw.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the next two or three games are vital, as we must get results despite our injured absentees. If we can come out of them with at least four points and a trip to Wembley, we can be optimistic. So much depends on luck with injuries and refereeing decisions that games are becoming difficult to predict.

Player
Manager
John King
Cook and norwood on the bench. A big decision but mm clearly trying to protect cook.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very surprised at that. Protecting Cook for the FA Trophy game..?

Player
Manager
John King
Protecting him for the remainder of the season. But I am surprised he started on Saturday and not tonight.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agreed. The Stockton-Mangan combination didn't work at Chester, so a little puzzled why we've started them in such an important fixture. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Protecting Cook from what? Is he not capable of playing twice a week? I hope I'm wrong but it almost looks like MM has given up on Lincoln and is prioritising this Saturday?

You can understand it to a degree but if FGR and Dover win their away games it'll put a bit of pressure on

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think mm has given up on anything. Macc are a better team than Torquay, I am sure that has influenced his thinking. Players are more likely to get muscle injuries if they have a heavy schedule and we cant afford to lose cook. I still would have started him though !

drwhoman

We cannot afford to have Cook injured tonight. Non of the other strikers are as potent and he will be important on Saturday. Personally, I think it is the play offs. Lincoln have a good squad and are very confident despite the Arsenal loss. Hope I am proved wrong but I just cannot see them fading away.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm as baffled as you all are. It may only become clearer when we see the side for Saturday. My take is that he is resting Cook and Norwood during the two-game-a-week schedule. A proper rest would be to leave them at home with their feet up rather than spend most of the day in a coach, but at least we have options if it goes pear-shaped. I'm convinced he desperately wants to see us at Wembley, having come so far. The lift it would give the players and the fans is perhaps worth taking a gamble for. If we lose on Saturday, players and most fans will take some consoling.

Player
Manager
John King
It was obvious cook would not start every game for the next six weeks and a very similar starting line up beat Barrow 5-1 a couple of weeks ago. And the players are spending two nights in Devon, so they are well looked after. Let us just see how it goes......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounds like we are coping OK here, but could do with some shots on target.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
FGR 2-0 up now.

Maccs team includes Makreth who they've taken back on loan from Bury

Player
Manager
John King
Sounds like we started brightly and then got bogged down. Jennings seems to be doing well but Stockton is anonymous.