• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
The Cookie rumours are gathering pace and sadly it does look like we're going to lose him.
Walsall are today's club that say they are interested.
Have to trust MM has prepared for this, though his record in the striker department isn't great.
Really don't know where we start trying to replace him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Walsall not a surprise as keates wanted him at Wrexham.

He’ll be able to offer him a lot more than we can you would expect.

Is he league 1 standard though? I’m not sure....

I’m sure Mickey has been preparing for this so he’ll have alternatives in mind

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We can give him league football and allow him to prove himself at the new level. He will be in an environment he knows with players he knows. He will be guaranteed support (from Norwood etc.) and service (from the wings). I am sure MP will make him a decent offer. (I'd offer three years as he's young and has a decent fitness record.) He'll only go for a substantially better financial deal or if he has lingering issues with Micky. I would suggest to him he signs for us but with a release clause in case much a bigger club comes in for him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Would Walsall really be such a great move for him ? A smaller club than us who only just avoided relegation last season, with a rookie manager. I would not be surprised if Keates is gone from there within six months. In the medium term we look a better prospect, but ultimately money talks I suppose.

We should really push the boat out to keep him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree. Why go to a club that struggling where he is unknown and 2 divisions above whereas he is worshipped at PP and has much more chance of first team football with us.

As you suggest RLC, it may all come down to wages. But if he doesn’t hit the ground running at Walsall then he’ll be on the bench.

Look what happened to Cole Stockton since he left. Will he replace cookie I wonder...

Player
Manager
John King
Ricky Miller and Kanu both struggled when they went into League One, albeit Cook will probably get more game time as Walsall's squad is not as strong as Peterborough's. I just don't rate Keates as a manager of attacking players - Wrexham barely scored a goal last season.

I would not want Stockton back as, other than a spell of a few weeks here, he has done nothing in his career and he has got a questionable attitude. That does however leave the question of exactly who we do replace him with.......

Player
Jonny Morrisey
One man mentioned there that I would like to see at PP is Ricky Miller. Granted, a completely different player to Cook but that lad knows where the net is!! And despite Dover losing at PP last season, he ran the back 4 ragged.

Player
aldo
well we are gonna need at least 2 forwards . cant see waring or alibi get a go either did jack on loan so wont play can and hope we sell them. miller an norwood can be deadley

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Miller has too much off-field baggage for me and comes across as an unlikeable individual. Dennis, just don't know enough about. Can't see Stockton coming back, he had a poor spell at Carlisle. Not really sure who's available/affordable now.

If Cookie goes, it should be with our thanks; his goals played an enormous part in getting us back in the FL. I agree he could do better than Walsall.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, you can't blame him for going if the figures being quoted are genuine. He is 28 now and he might not get a similar offer again.

Player
Manager
John King
The worry with Miller, Dennis and others that have been mentioned is they are quite similar to Norwood, whereas we really need someone who can develop a partnership with James.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder how different league two is to the conference. What I mean by that is do we need to be looking at a different type of player as I’d imagine it wouldt be as rough and tumble.

Player
Manager
John King
I wonder how different league two is to the conference. What I mean by that is do we need to be looking at a different type of player as I’d imagine it wouldt be as rough and tumble.
I have not seen any of the League Two play off games, but apparently the gulf in class with the NL is enormous.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I watched a bit of the Exeter v Lincoln game the other night. Lincoln were still heavily reliant on lobbing high balls to Rhead who did cause problems at times but were second best on the night. Exeter look to have some neat, tidy players who liked to play on the floor.

drwhoman

Yes re Exeter although at least one goal was a worldie and Lincoln were denied an equaliser at 1-0 when Rhead was penalised for handling when he was actually pushed in the back by a defender. On new players, I imagine we will be looking at players from the north otherwise one or two of the better NL players from the south might be worth looking at. I imagine Rowe from Fylde would be too expensive nd too similar to Norwood?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haven’t seen enough L2 football to judge, it didn’t seem that good when we sank through it in 2015. The bottom line must be that we ensure survival in this league and I don’t know what it will take to secure that minimum goal.
Think Danny Rowe will be on a decent wage at Fylde and doubt we’d get him. There are some guys from the NL who might be worth a punt on succeeding at L2 level, but suspect we’ll be looking at proven players at L2 level.