• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, it certainly looks like they aren’t hanging around. Good luck to Mangan. Great character to have in the squad.

I guess there’s an element of risk in any player we sign.

Player
aldo
yes we cant be taking back packers . we need front runners we realy need goals from midfield . as we cant keep expecting the front two to score 50 puls every year . so we need to get more pace and more goals . gonna be fun . good luck mago topman . and yes can see dun . rokka . wallace . waring . alibi will go on list i think can see kirby going as well as green recon banks will come in as mm knows him .

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Josh Ginnelly released by Burnley today. Probably worth a deal if we can get him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Club have confirmed that mangan, Kirby, Dunn, rokka, Traore, McEveley and Duggan will all be released.

Wouldn’t argue with any of that. Hope Kirby goes on and does well somewhere.

Wallace invited to join pre season training but presumably unpaid

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Quite pleased with that. Lot of dead wood there. In a way I’m glad Wallace is still being considered as he has the quality. Will he make it through pre season training unscathed ?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very similar to my list, although I'd have been a bit harsher. There's not much space for new players, unless he's assuming a few out-of-contract players will walk.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Quite pleased with that. Lot of dead wood there. In a way I’m glad Wallace is still being considered as he has the quality. Will he make it through pre season training unscathed ?
I think that Wallace has had enough time in the last chance saloon, think just one substitute appearance all season? Time to face up to the reality that he'll never come close to the player who left us for the Blades, however we might hope.
Very similar to my list, although I'd have been a bit harsher. There's not much space for new players, unless he's assuming a few out-of-contract players will walk.
Interesting...I hadn't seen you as the ruthless axeman. Although it doesn't look like we'll be resuming a reserve side, have 7 subs slots to fill and think only about 8 players currently contracted.
Personally, feel Kirby a bit unlucky not getting a further deal due to his injuries, although he divides opinions, has got more FL experience than some more heralded colleagues. The rest are understandable.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Boz, in my post on Sunday after Wembley, I said all the seven released should go plus Green and Harris. Does that make me a ruthless axeman? I'll bet neither player is seen much next season. I agree that Jake Kirby is unlucky. Had we not gone up, I think he might have stayed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Certainly wouldn’t let Harris go and please he has been offered a new deal. Although I’m not sure he has played at league level much but he deserved a new deal.

I feel sorry for Kirby and some would argue he could have been invited back for training like Wallace. Although jake often flattered to deceive in my opinion.

Baxter now playing in this charity match on Saturday. Possibly an informal trial!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Correction - Harris played about 100 games in league 2 for Accrington and Chester although that was some time ago.

drwhoman

I imagine they will try and reach agreement with Alabi and Waring or else they will be out on loan again next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Boz, in my post on Sunday after Wembley, I said all the seven released should go plus Green and Harris. Does that make me a ruthless axeman? I'll bet neither player is seen much next season. I agree that Jake Kirby is unlucky. Had we not gone up, I think he might have stayed.
I definitely would not bracket Harris with Green. The former has been a stalwart in the last three seasons, the latter would be on his way out if he was not in contract.

Of the remaining players, I would only want Alabi, Waring and Green to leave but they are all still under contract. As has been commented, i think we will either agree mutual terminations or ship them out on loan.

I think the decision to release Kirby is probably the right one, but it is mystifying why we are persisting with Wallace. He has played thirty minutes of football in the last twelve months and it really is time to say enough is enough. However, on the whole I am pleased with the decisions which free up plenty of space for new additions.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Kirby certainly divides opinions. I was never a big fan, so quite pleased he's gone. I notice some of the reactions to letting Mangan go were interesting. I think from what I've seen, 99% of them were disappointed he's gone because of his character. The 1% mentioned his footballing skills. Probably a wise move..

On a completely different note, I noticed Lincoln are getting beat 2-0 against Exeter so it looks like a trip to Sincil Bank again next season.

Player
aldo
just hope we get them goals from midfield . realy hope cookie stays . we need two speedy wingers who can put quality crosses in and get goals themselves . we also need a speedy centre half to play with steve and sutton . would give noors a a contract he is turning in to a legend . loved him b4 this week but love him even more he has gone mad this week and good on them they deserve it.

drwhoman

With Wallace there is probably no money involved and if they can get him fit he could be an asset. 'He is joining the team for pre-season training' - says nothing about a contract. If a full pre-season does not work them it will be a sad goodbye I imagine.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The danger with Wallace is that he will scrape through pre-season, be offered a deal and then break down again in September. I would rather a squad place went to someone else.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Harris is worth another deal too.

Of the four players I think we’ve paid a fee for down in the NL, Tollitt has been unfortunate with injuries, but Stephenson, Alabi and Green could be filed under waste of money.

Player
aldo
we all loved Tollitt when he was in full flow . he needs a little luck . he was magnificent player when he was scoring goals ans setting them up let the poor lad get a full pre season behind him and see what goes

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would definitely keep Harris. I like his attitude, plays for the team and it will be interesting to see how he does in div 2.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
If (and yes it's a very big if) Wallace is fit he will probably be the best player in L2 next season. Should he get through pre-season and proves his fitness and that his body is still capable of being a professional footballer then it is a brave man who doesn't take a gamble on him. There is potentially a real risk v reward judgement to be made, but that seems to have been deferred for a few months which makes good sense. Wallace appears to be a positive influence around the place, so no issue there, and I think Mickey realises that you don't throw a diamond away cheaply. I'm not convinced that he will make it back but his undoubted talent and commitment to his chosen profession surely warrant another chance providing we can avoid a financial millstone. A miracle happened last Saturday and I'm not giving up on another one!