• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would not describe Banks and Bakayogo as cast-offs. Players come in and out of favour at clubs for a variety of reasons, but those two are a cut above most at League Two level. I think we have done good business over the summer and significantly improved the quality of the squad, with even the striking options looking reasonably strong now.

I am very pleased Stockton has arrived. For that six month spell under Mellon in 2016-17 he was just as good as, if not better than, Cook and whatever the politics of the situation, Cole kept him out of the side for a number of weeks. His overall career record is patchy, but the best form of his career came under Jim Bentley and Mellon and he had a good understanding with Jennings and Norwood when he was last here. I much prefer signing him to some kid we know next to nothing about, and after the experience with Waring and Alabi last season I think Mellon feels the same.

I never really warmed to Stockton, but if two months ago you had offered me Cole as a more realistic alternative to Rowe I would have been perfectly happy. To those people saying 'is he the best we can get ?' I would love to know who exactly they thought we were going to sign ?
I have given you a "like" on the basis of the majority of your analysis. It's spot on, apart from the first sentence. Without going into detailed semantics, I think most people would agree that a player who is released by his club at the end of his contract could be labelled a cast off. That doesn't make him a bad player, as it's just one manager's opinion, but it's hardly a ringing endorsement. The player is not wanted. We have signed hundreds of cast offs in my time. Some like multiple cast off Ian Muir proved to be shrewd buys, although many were not. My point is that by force of financial circumstances we have had to fill the squad with players deemed surplus to requirements at other League Two clubs (and below). That said, I think we have done shrewd business, certainly better than last summer. But we shall see.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If Stockton gets more than 10 goals this season, I’ll buy you all a pint in the tent! and hang my head in shame for ever doubting him.
If Stockton keeps fit and in the team, he'll play over 50 games, so will need just one goal in five games for you to find that suddenly White Review's membership had exploded. If he gets enough encouragement from Micky and starts well, he'll make double figures, but it will depend on MM's favoured formation and how well Mullin plays. My money's on the free pint!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have given you a "like" on the basis of the majority of your analysis. It's spot on, apart from the first sentence. Without going into detailed semantics, I think most people would agree that a player who is released by his club at the end of his contract could be labelled a cast off. That doesn't make him a bad player, as it's just one manager's opinion, but it's hardly a ringing endorsement. The player is not wanted. We have signed hundreds of cast offs in my time. Some like multiple cast off Ian Muir proved to be shrewd buys, although many were not. My point is that by force of financial circumstances we have had to fill the squad with players deemed surplus to requirements at other League Two clubs (and below). That said, I think we have done shrewd business, certainly better than last summer. But we shall see.
I don't think financial circumstances have dictated that we have to sign 'cast-offs', simply that we had to bring in out-of-contract players in the main. Some of those out-of-contract players were wanted by their previous clubs, others weren't. The players we have recruited reflects the particular choices of our manager rather than a dependency on rejects from other clubs.

Our alleged 'financial constraints' are being ridiculously overstated in my view. While it is true we can't compete financially with three or four clubs at this level, we have recruited players with ample Football League experience who will be on decent money (Banks, Ellis, Mullin, Zoum) and kept hold of others who will also be on good contracts (Norburn, Norwood, Jennings).

Stating that we are dependent on 'cast-offs' implies that we are scraping the bottom of the barrel for the lowest paid, lowest quality players that nobody else wants, which is not the case.

Player
aldo
Also you have to remember that we have turned bids down. For connor j . Norburn. And for Norwood to so are finances cant be that bad .as for cast offs show some respect . The boys havent kicked a ball yet . We all change job's nobody stays in the same place .

Player
Manager
John King
Now that would make interesting competition in the forward areas.
Mellon said in his interview today we were trying to bring another forward in. I still think it is more likely to be the Italian trialist we had last week however.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Naturally we are looking for new signings to see what they can do for us.
Nowt wrong with that.
But let's remember that Nors, CJ, Ollie, Jay and others are chomping at the bit to perform in the EFL for the first time.
If we struggle next season I doubt it will be through lack of commitment from the likes of those.
Stockton? Jeez.... He clearly divides the ranks.
I would have preferred to keep Mangs on!!

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Never been a fan of Stockton, but I will happily eat humble pie if he bangs in 20 goals this season! I cant see him starting though as Norwood and Mullin are significantly better players but as an option off the bench it might give us something a little bit different.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm going to keep an eye out for Walsall, to see how well they cope in league one.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Well, we'll be seeing them soon enough! Would be delighted if they both fail to fire!

drwhoman

All a bit strange after the ‘agent’ was wanting to keep Ferrier in London. The bright lights of downtown Walsall instead! Maybe he will commute?! Does Keates just follow what MM does? With Ginnelly that makes three!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I hope Keates knows what he's taking on. There will be some lively banter in the Walsall dressing room

Player
Manager
John King
I would actually rather have Stockton than Ferrier, as the latter seems a bit of a plum. Interestingly, Fylde have just turned down a bid of 150,000 rising to 180,000 from Chelteham for Danny Rowe, as reported by the Fylde chairman. Even in January he would probably be out of our price range.

Player
ian goodison
is this a bit of kidoligy from the chairman seems strange to announce it to the world I,d have thought he would have kept quiet unless he,s hoping to start a biddind war

Player
Manager
John King
Norburn now being linked with Shrewsbury, Sunderland and MK Dons. Thursday night can't come quickly enough........

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Norburn moving on rumours have re-surfaced, partly sparked by a remark from Micky in one of the post-match interviews. If that were to happen, would be a blow as we seem thin on the ground in the middle of the park and don't know if Harvey Gilmour's ready for a start. we'd need reinforcement, given the doubts expressed over Jay Harris' ability to cope at this level.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Mellon was referring to Waring in the interview, as I doubt he would make such a casual remark about one of his key players. However, the rumours seem to be coming from several sources.