• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
From the comments by Ian Dawes since MM left and MP again in the interview with the BBC the budget was healthy enough this past year and will be again next year. It clearly won't be at Wrexham's level but then how big was Stevenage's budget this past season and they did ok!
MP himself said in the recent Q and A that Stevenage had a bigger budget than us last season.

Our budget is not currently big enough to compete with Orient, Salford, Stockport, Mansfield, Bradford etc. and the recruitment process in recent years has not been effective enough to compensate for that deficiency in spending.

Ultimately the responsibility for both budget and recruitment rests with the owner.

Player
Manager
John King
by end February performances had tailed off and from then on it seems clear the die was already cast with MM if not even before that....
Our form immediately prior to the sacking was not hugely different to much of the rest of the season, including the period under Dawes, without even considering the injuries we had at the time which resulted in Burton and Mumbongo being used regularly up front.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
We have got to trust that the budget available is what we can afford and that an "appropriate" amount of that is directed towards playing and coaching/managing. If we can't trust Mark and Nicola to get this right then we really do have a problem. At that point it becomes the effective use of that budget, which is where we definitely need to improve. We can't do much more than that under the current model (or any model) without putting the club at risk.

Player
Manager
John King
We can't do much more than that under the current model (or any model) without putting the club at risk.
The problem might be that the model is inappropriate in the first place. Or should I say the current model, because the emphasis on youth development follows China, conferencing, hotels, concerts and numerous other projects that have been and gone in the last nine years, without achieving the owner's stated aim when he first arrived of making us a self-sustaining club.

We remain in roughly the same position on and off the pitch - mid table in League Two and recording large losses every season - that we were when Palios arrived a decade ago.

I am not convinced the latest 'silver bullet' of youth development will be more effective than the previous ones.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Interesting that MP admits that we have wasted approximately 30% of the wage budget every year and acknowledges that needs to improve significantly.

He also said he wants a culture where assistants and coaches 'can challenge the manager' rather than there being a single point of authority, which suggests rumours that Mellon was undercut by Dawes were true.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The problem might be that the model is inappropriate in the first place. Or should I say the current model, because the emphasis on youth development follows China, conferencing, hotels, concerts and numerous other projects that have been and gone in the last nine years, without achieving the owner's stated aim when he first arrived of making us a self-sustaining club.

We remain in roughly the same position on an off the pitch - mid table in League Two and recording large losses every season - that we were when Palios arrived a decade ago.

I am not convinced the latest 'silver bullet' of youth development will be more effective than the previous ones.
While I don't disagree; we are where we are and we can't turn the clock back to right any wrongs. The budget will be set and firmed up based on the S/Ts sold to date. At this point we can only play with the cards we have been dealt in planning for 2023/24. And let's hope lessons have been learned in all areas.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The 30% budget comment was interesting although at this level and the types of players we can afford, there will inevitably be signings that don’t work out. In simple terms if you sign 10 players and 7 end up good signings and 3 don’t, then 30% of your recruitment hasn’t worked. I know it’s not that simple of course but I reckon most if not all clubs don’t get 100% of recruitment right, especially when there is often a large turnover of players each year.

listening to Palios I do wonder whether some managers would be put off by both his previous experience as a player and FA chairman. It means mark has plenty of views which can be a positive but you do wonder if he dabbles a lot in football issues that he could sometimes leave alone. I guess that may be why we’ve brought Adkins in although I’m not sure he’s a full time employee.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The problem might be that the model is inappropriate in the first place.
Agreed. The thing with MP is that he is always trying to be one step ahead or wanting to try something different. I don't think that is a bad thing in some ways but some of the models he puts in place aren't necessarily good for the club or have worked at all. His latest being this idea that a dozen people can all chip in and challenge each other. Like I say, let's see how it goes..

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Youth development with no youth team competing in a pro clubs league?
A development squad, with no pro club opposition, such as a reserve league, u21s, u23s?
We only have one team in competition with other professional clubs, the first team!

Not enough senior pros, is not working!
Just cheap!

And remember the money spent on the rec centre to create a Futsal team? That bombed very quickly!

And carrying on in this similar vein is really not what most supporters will want.
Hopefully Atkins can change the dynamic of our only team! A goalkeeper, a striker/goalscorer and a central midfielder is intrinsic to us becoming a viable promotion candidate.

The youth development tag is a misnomer.

Palios has described the development part of his strategy as being a “finishing school” for players released by EFL/Championship clubs. These are players who’ve already been through youth development, but just haven’t been able to make that final step into regular open age football at EFL/Championship level.

It’s definitely a market worth tapping into, but it really has to be done right. And for these lads to properly kick on with us they need to be playing alongside leadership and know how, two qualities which the squad as a whole was too short of this season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If as likely Cogley does leave then Jamie Sterry who has turned down a new contract at Hartlepool was be a decent replacement
Yes he would altho challinor may want to be reunited with him

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think Sterry had better offers previously but stayed with Pools for reasons of geography

Player
Manager
John King
Just returning to the Palios interview, it was not clear to me exactly what Adkins' role will be. MP was non-committal when asked if he would be involved in recruitment and his job did not seem particularly well defined. If he does not have a regular, active input it would be a concern given Dawes' lack of experience.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can’t help fearing that Adkins’ role will be something of a lightning conductor, deflecting attention away from Dawes and attracting players who might not show an interest if our TD was less established. I’d hope that he does have an involvement in terms of player recruitment.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
well MARK whoever had the data on JOEL m-hemmings and the rest of our front line needs shooting because that's one thing they could not do as for the other project its more 3g pitches at the campus that's what they are looking at and expanding the campus so more cash being spent on it

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I’m not even sure if Adkins is full time? He’s based down south and although has family up here I’m wondering if he’s more like a part time consultant, a sounding board for Dawes. Not even sure how long the contracts are for Danns or Dawes

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting that MP admits that we have wasted approximately 30% of the wage budget every year and acknowledges that needs to improve significantly.

He also said he wants a culture where assistants and coaches 'can challenge the manager' rather than there being a single point of authority, which suggests rumours that Mellon was undercut by Dawes were true.
30% seems a bit high to me but if MP is thinking we should have a zero failure rate then he is deluded! Just doesn't happen especially at L2 level.

As to this Dawes undercutting/ stabbing in the back MM rumour is interesting and although I appreciate Dawes was never first choice for most of us on here that rumour has naturally made people even less impressed.

As I recall it started on the other site with an ITK guy who generally has got most things right this season until Dawes appointment - he was still saying it was BBM! There may have been others saying the same but his post was certainly where I first recall reading it. However what became clear was that he for whatever reason clearly had a personal axe to grind with Dawes and also put out incorrect statements about Dawes, one for example that he is lazy and had never bothered doing any more coaching badges when in fact he has been studying all along and will have his UEFA Pro licence by the start of next season. So it may be worth taking such rumours with a pinch of salt but be that as it may seems clear from the interview that MP that was going to replace MM from a long time out and I don't think he is so weak as to be swayed by anything Dawes may have said or done even if he had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.