• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Q&A

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can’t recall anything dishonest they’ve said at a Q&A, but plenty of what they do say gets spun wrongly.
Be good if they could say why the top 3rd budget aim is now top half. Why have we changed the recruitment plan but not brought in a new dof. How are the off field projects are going etc.

There are plenty of things to discuss and give details and updates on but whether anything comes out of it remains to be seen

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's more just a promotional exercise but they aren't going to go to deep into the financials as much as we would like them too. I get pretty bored of these q&a now but I do understand they are at least reaching out to supporters.

Be good if they could say why the top 3rd budget aim is now top half. Why have we changed the recruitment plan but not brought in a new dof.
They addressed these head on last time.

Self financing with a top third budget was, and still is, an aim. Loss making with a top half budget is where we’re currently at. But still working towards eventually achieving that aim.

The top third budget aim has routinely been twisted by supporters into something different ever since Palios first mentioned it years ago.

The reasons for changing the recruitment plan last summer have been explained many times, and not replacing Vaughan as DOF was specifically asked at the last Q&A - basically Vaughan‘s ambitions and skillset fitted with what Tranmere wanted at the time, and now they feel they can cover what he’d implemented. Whether, therefore, creating the role of DOF was necessary in the first place, or is necessary but currently not properly covered, is debatable though.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It's more just a promotional exercise but they aren't going to go to deep into the financials as much as we would like them too. I get pretty bored of these q&a now but I do understand they are at least reaching out to supporters.
The accounts are published in March so the financial position will be clearer then. There's talk of recently receiving further investment, maybe this will be covered

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They addressed these head on last time.

Self financing with a top third budget was, and still is, an aim. Loss making with a top half budget is where we’re currently at. But still working towards eventually achieving that aim.

The top third budget aim has routinely been twisted by supporters into something different ever since Palios first mentioned it years ago.

The reasons for changing the recruitment plan last summer have been explained many times, and not replacing Vaughan as DOF was specifically asked at the last Q&A - basically Vaughan‘s ambitions and skillset fitted with what Tranmere wanted at the time, and now they feel they can cover what he’d implemented. Whether, therefore, creating the role of DOF was necessary in the first place, or is necessary but currently not properly covered, is debatable though.
That's the thing, we had a dof for 7 months or so, so obviously thougt it was necessary, Vaughan leaves and the only other involvement is Steve Beck again.
Why had the aim not been met for the budget, Mark said we would come out of covid in a much stronger position than a lot of clubs but despite the crowds staying quiet decent we are losing money.
Mark and Nicola do everything with the clubs best interests at heart but the aim/plan to be self sustainable is not even close.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
No not really, less spin and more honesty would be good
They have been honest, even if people don't like the information they are given.

It probably is not possible to be self-sustaining with a top half budget in the current economic climate, but that does not mean it was not a valid ambition nine years ago when they first stated it as their goal.

The reality is Palios is the only game in town until we attract investment from a responsible individual, so continually questioning his integrity and undermining him is self defeating.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, you have to remember some of the names that where bandied about pre Palios and realise that at least MP has the clubs best interests at heart and the club was on a very slippery slope.

Currently it feels like we are just treading above water ( which in fairness to MP) that is still an improvement but I really don't think we can move on without investment.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The reality is, they have not managed to sustain the momentum from the season we gained promotion to league one.
the debt has grown incrementally since before and after covid. We are no where near being financially competitive even in this division. And I even think that we would struggle to compete in the national league. If we were there now. I have said before that many clubs in the National league could outbid and pay more in wages and contract length.
The quality of players will keep us up this season, but next?
Yes, the window had strengthened the squad, but a couple of injuries will again put us under strength.
Modern football in England is more about financial backing for the provision of bringing players into the club. We do not have the financial clout to do this. Bankrolling the best players is crucial for success.

One of the many reasons why the paloloi are not given support by those who have issues with their ownership, is a lot to do with the experience of people who have dealings with them. I do believe that like me, I support the club but will not support their attitude. The number of staff through the ever revolving door says it a lot. The sponsors have disappeared.

Attendance is down. If not already, lower than national league, yes, money is tight, but even first season in national league had better support.

I'm seeing the same slippery slope that last time put us in the National league.
Regardless of what they are trying to achieve, it is not working.
The club feels from those, I know have more knowledge of the inner workings, as if we are in recievership, it feels run down and because of the decisions from them, this is a football club, only one team!
The first team!
Where is our future?
No reserves, no youth, no academy!
No money!

The Q and A will be a version of a Tory ministers interview!
All spin and swerve, only verified questions will be answered!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes, you have to remember some of the names that where bandied about pre Palios and realise that at least MP has the clubs best interests at heart and the club was on a very slippery slope.

Currently it feels like we are just treading above water ( which in fairness to MP) that is still an improvement but I really don't think we can move on without investment.
We appear to be going backwards on and off the pitch rather than treading water.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
There is little here I can even recognise in the reality, Ian sums it up more succinctly!
To claim Tranmere cannot compete with National League, bar the obvious, is not plausible. Players have arrived when peers and even stronger placed clubs have failed to land them. One thing that escapes many fans is that Palios has retained a qualified manager in a reasonably consistent set up, big clubs loan to where they have confidence and players sign when people advise them it is a good club. You really wouldn't send a player out or recommend a player signs up for a rookie manager under a regime that changes its personnel after a few bad results.
In my opinion the current recipe at the club can lead to a decent promotion bid, not this year but there a few similar clubs in that outcome already. There are many in this division who cannot sustain that and so talk of NL is misplaced.
Not sure there is much point in demanding we get a fairy godmother throwing hollywood levels of dosh at the club?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There is little here I can even recognise in the reality, Ian sums it up more succinctly!
To claim Tranmere cannot compete with National League, bar the obvious, is not plausible. Players have arrived when peers and even stronger placed clubs have failed to land them. One thing that escapes many fans is that Palios has retained a qualified manager in a reasonably consistent set up, big clubs loan to where they have confidence and players sign when people advise them it is a good club. You really wouldn't send a player out or recommend a player signs up for a rookie manager under a regime that changes its personnel after a few bad results.
In my opinion the current recipe at the club can lead to a decent promotion bid, not this year but there a few similar clubs in that outcome already. There are many in this division who cannot sustain that and so talk of NL is misplaced.
Not sure there is much point in demanding we get a fairy godmother throwing hollywood levels of dosh at the club?
The closest we have come to getting promoted since our demotion is when we sacked the manager when we made the playoffs.....

By your logic prem clubs would not loan players to Watford as they change managers regularly but clubs do loan them.

Nobody is demanding anybody throw Hollywood levels of dosh at the club but people are rightly concerned that despite inheriting a club debt free the debt is now significant none of the off field projects are yielding any money and several have in fact made losses

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
They have been honest, even if people don't like the information they are given. It probably is not possible to be self-sustaining with a top half budget in the current economic climate, but that does not mean it was not a valid ambition nine years ago when they first stated it as their goal. The reality is Palios is the only game in town until we attract investment from a responsible individual, so continually questioning his integrity and undermining him is self defeating.
Yes, you have to remember some of the names that where bandied about pre Palios and realise that at least MP has the clubs best interests at heart and the club was on a very slippery slope. Currently it feels like we are just treading above water ( which in fairness to MP) that is still an improvement but I really don't think we can move on without investment.
Excellent summaries of where we are.

The Palioses are honest people on my view who have the best interests of the club at heart. They communicate honestly but as with any business owners, they cannot always tell the whole truth as it might depress the fans and scare off investors.

They have made some poor decisions, mainly regarding managerial appointments, but have not had the best of luck. The spell in the NL and the demotion were both hammer blows.

They must be wondering when they will finally get to retire. I think they will see it through to the building of the new stadium, but if there are any more setbacks or if a significant number of fans turn against them, they may well cut their losses and walk away.

We are all in this together.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Excellent summaries of where we are.

The Palioses are honest people on my view who have the best interests of the club at heart. They communicate honestly but as with any business owners, they cannot always tell the whole truth as it might depress the fans and scare off investors.

They have made some poor decisions, mainly regarding managerial appointments, but have not had the best of luck. The spell in the NL and the demotion were both hammer blows.

They must be wondering when they will finally get to retire. I think they will see it through to the building of the new stadium, but if there are any more setbacks or if a significant number of fans turn against them, they may well cut their losses and walk away.

We are all in this together.
The building of a nee stadium is on the back burner, it's years away if it happens

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The closest we have come to getting promoted since our demotion is when we sacked the manager when we made the playoffs.....

By your logic prem clubs would not loan players to Watford as they change managers regularly but clubs do loan them.

Nobody is demanding anybody throw Hollywood levels of dosh at the club but people are rightly concerned that despite inheriting a club debt free the debt is now significant none of the off field projects are yielding any money and several have in fact made losses
No idea what your first point is?

Watford and Tranmere have zero similarities. It is clear however that Micky attracts loans where others might not. Several claim we need investment, which in football at this level is a euphemism for charity. It is disingenuous to suggest Palios has run up debts as some sort of new development. Tranmere has lost money throughout its history on a day to day basis, even under Johnson the debt was controlled by player sales and bumper cup tie gates- it still reached £10 million.
I certainly don't agree off field activities have not increased revenue the balance sheets say otherwise, although inevitably speculation has led to some failures. The Club certainly has an improved image for all to see.
The acid test appears to be the running losses without extraordinary income, they appear to be stuck at around half a million despite significant increases in turnover above general inflation. So maybe 10% deficit over the gross turnover, whereas it used to be double that.
I fear many fans have no sense of perspective and delude themselves as to where they should be. There are several clubs doing no better than Tranmere, of similar historic standings, Swindon, Newport, Walsall and Mansfield. I am sure most will get up over time and slip out of the league as well. Other minnows are bankrolled like FGR, plus some historic names of which i struggle to keep tabs on (remember Bury) and to great credit some just outperform like Accy, Morecambe and Macc a while back.
If there was a perfect table of the resources available to clubs I have no idea where Tranmere would be, I'd guess somewhere around where they are. I am sure some would currently be outperforming and other underperforming.
I don't aim any of these thoughts to those here but more to the commentators on other media. Palios is running down Micky's contract so that Challinor comes in next is widely subscribed to. Signing up players on long term contracts and the sheer crazy idea Stockport would let Chally go short of a Championship club for big money, might suggest these people are deluded.
PS Unchanged for tonight, plenty of subs before the hour plus ca change.................................

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
wow guys some need to chill and take a back seat if we did not have MARK and Nicky we would not have a club

I am certain that is not true.
time is approaching when it will become inevitable.
there will be interested parties. But there is a significant amount of procedure still in place for that eventuality.
Especially if the Paliloi couldn't carry on.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If mark and nicky are hounded uot of the club bye a few knob head fans who chat crap all the time i would not blame them if they did but knowing mark he would get the club sold and knowing rhem that is what they will do and again who could blame them with some of the sh×t they take and they have saved this club we all love