• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

sutton v rovers

Player
aldo
I wont be at the game as work calls . I am also missing the whole festive season as im working allover the lot witch is the bloody norm . But as i said b4 we need to stand up and be counted . Start showing the same form away from home . As we have been good at pp the last few games . . A draw at x utton is pointless to me only a win will do as we need to close the gap at the top. I also wont accept any player saying he cant or wont play on plastic pitches . Utter bollock s n not acceptable. I think a hard 1.0 win with a 94th min cookie header to win it . With 900 to 1000 super whites in attendance. Ps happy Christmas boys an girlies love ya all . An see ya soon x

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve seen precious little evidence that McEveley can defend on grass, so will lose no sleep over him being ruled out through being unable to play on plastic.

Historically we’ve had some awful performances in the pre-Christmas game, can remember a 0-4 home to Wimbledon one year. The Solihull game was worryingly bad and I’m not confident the players can snap out of it. If Buxton is unfit, seen no updates, the manager is running out of options at the back. Think he’d prefer the 532 formation.

Rovers need something from this one, but I fear we’ll be disappointed.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A huge game for us. A victory would leave us five points behind Sutton with a game in hand and give us a big confidence boost ahead of the busy festive period. Lose and our automatic promotion hopes would effectively be over.

We have had a difficult time against Sutton in the last couple of seasons. The defeat at Gander Green Lane last year was one of the worst Rovers performances I have seen and was the final nail in the coffin for Brabin. In the return fixture at Prenton Park we battered Sutton but somehow lost a two goal lead before Ihiekwe's dramatic intervention.

Sutton are the type of team we have struggled most against at this level: big, physical and organised but with several players who can play a bit (Bailey, Lafayette, Wright and a few others). Saturday will be very tough and I would put it in the category of 'must not lose' rather than 'must win', particularly as I think we will pick up a lot of points in the Christmas matches.

I won't complain if Mellon sets us up to be solid rather than expansive. However, I hope we don't start with the 532. I don't think we have the personnel to play that system this season, as it forces us to play DMH out of position as a wing back, which is very difficult for a youngster who is still trying to learn his best position. Equally, playing as a wing back puts a lot of responsibility on Clarke on the other side. Whatever his talents, he is just a kid who I think benefits from having a more experienced player ahead of him. All of our recent performances with five at the back have been sluggish, even the Torquay game to an extent.

Given the importance of the game I think about 400 SWA will travel, despite the proximity to Christmas. Hopefully we will come away with at least a point.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Historically we’ve had some awful performances in the pre-Christmas game, can remember a 0-4 home to Wimbledon one year.

A game against Gillingham under Ronnie, where we were two up at half time but lost 3-2 was another classic......

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree this is a must not lose game rather than a must win. We've got to get over Solihull quickly and I'd accept a point as a good result, but a defeat would leave us struggling. If Micky has done his homework and prepared the team well, we could nick it. However, I'm bracing myself for a 2-0 defeat.

I'm planning to be there for my first visit to Gander Green Lane - and hopefully my last.

Player
aldo
Really gutted not gonna be there. Im missing a load of games at the moment . Witch isn't great. Think we will see a determined rovers today an think it will be a good 2.0 with all the top teams losing . That was wat i was dreaming about last night with cookie an young clark getting one

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hmm, I don’t know, I have a bad feeling about this one. Think we may come away with a draw.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No surprises re starting xi, Buxton is fit and Davies replaces Pilling. Kirby rather than Harris on the subs bench is a surprise, unless the latter also has plastic pitch issues.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice early goal to settle any nerves :cool:

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After a quiet start we scored on our second attack. DMH was fouled 25 yards out and Buxton hit a superb free kick.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sutton equaliser. Mac conceded a throw on the left. The ball was then hit over the box headed back in for them to head in from point blank range. Poor defending.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Disappointing. Keep going Rovers !!

Player
Manager
John King
Very competitive game. Some of our football has been excellent but Sutton are very awkward and dangerous from set plays. Superb goal from Buxton and an evem better one from Jennings.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just before halftime Norwood broke and was fouled. The free kick led to a great six man move resulting in a shot which was cleared to Jennings who hit a trademark goal from outside the area.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Agree with RLC that it's a good game with both sides playing positively. Goals are coming from set pieces and breakaways or both.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cookie Monster surely seals a fantastic 3 points!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Get in! Great result to take us into the Xmas period. Up to the dizzy heights of ninth! Only six points between us and Wrexham in 2nd. Have a great Xmas everyone !

Player
Manager
John King
Superb performance and result. We had the class and fully deserved it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brilliant result and with the sides near the top dropping points encouraging from that aspect. Think Adam Buxton’s first Rovers goal?

Player
Manager
John King
Don't think so. He scored a very similar free kick at Chelmsford last season. Other results could not have been better for us !