• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

sutton v rovers

M

Mal

Good to see Tranmere scoring the 90th minute goal. And that the top 8 couldn't muster up a win between them.

joe

That's it though isn't it. Other teams will go through bad patches. Have injuries, suspensions etc I think we tend to lose sight of that.

Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
Well wat a display . Wat a result . And with everyone else in the top leaving us little pressies . Its been a fab day . Realy happy that jennings got another goal he is going well now . And great cookie is going and full of confidence . Witch is good 4 us . Its a statement of intent by the rovers .Great all around looking forward to boxing day . Even though im not there due to work . Can eney one tell me the last time we scored 3or more 3 times in a row its gotta be a long time i think its prob 89/90 with kingy . Aldo an co doing the business . Happy Christmas super white army

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An excellent performance. While the scoreline was fully deserved, Sutton made us work for the win today with their physicality, their constant ratting in midfield and their threat from set plays. However, we were clearly the superior footballing team and having matched their physicality our greater quality ultimately told. I think the timing of the goals was vital, particularly the second as it came during a period where we had lost our way and the match seemed in the balance.

We started strongly, playing some very nice football, and shortly after the opener DMH had a decent chance to put us two up. He missed it and Sutton gradually came into the game, putting us under a lot of pressure while not really creating anything in open play. The equaliser was the result of poor defending, firstly a bit of a mix up between Davies and Big Mac which resulted in a throw high up the pitch, then a failure to pick up from the throw in. After their goal we were on the back foot for twenty minutes, prior to the brilliant move and finish for the second goal.

After the break we looked much more comfortable, tighter in midfield and winning more second balls. Sutton huffed and puffed but only had one real chance which they blazed over from fifteen yards. By contrast, we continued to look threatening on the counter, DMH forcing a great save from their keeper before Cook finished the game following another good move.

Individually, every player put a shift in and clearly realised the importance of the game. McNulty and Davies were both solid aside from their little mishap, Cook and Norwood were fantastic, linking up really well, and DMH and Clarke were excellent at wing back. I thought only Banks and Norburn had below par games, largely because there was so little time and space in midfield. The former kept trying to probe and play forward, however. My man of the match was Connor Jennings who looks a different player back in his best position and produced a sublime finish for the second goal.

It was great to see the celebrations between Micky, the players and the SWA at the final whistle. Everyone knew just how big that win was and there was even a first rendition of the season of 'on our way'.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. We’ve been scoring lots of goals recently and it looks like we are really starting to gel at a crucial time of the season. Even Jennings who’s been quite subdued so far this season is starting to chip in with a few goals.

Player
aldo
But no one has answered my question when was the last time we sco5 3 or more in e consecutive games or 3 twice an 4 twice in five leauge games over to you guys i cant remember . Ps getting merryly pissed a happy white . With my beautiful wifey

Player
aldo
Sorry guys an girlies . The drink has taken over the last five home we have scored 13 and conceded 2. we have scored 3 times twice an 4 one in last 3 witch we dont do to often i cant remember last time we did it

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
First of all, an apology. I predicted we'd lose 0-2 as I thought the Tranmere team which turned up today would be the side who lost at Solihull. I was totally wrong. I'm sure it was nothing to do with the change of goalie. It was a completely different side - organised, skillful, determined. As a result we got what must be the best away performance of the season. I agree with RLC's player assessment, but would add that Cook put in an incredible shift, running back to help out Eddie Clarke on one occasion, and thoroughly deserved his goal. He took his time and made sure.

We are now definitely on the up and it's a shame we dropped points against the current top three - Dover, Wrexham and Macclesfield. Had we won those games, we would be top. That's how important it is to beat our main rivals, as we did today.

I was determined to get to this game, as I've been a bit of a talisman for Rovers. I don't get to many matches but I haven't seen us lose an away league match for a few years. In fact, Sutton's equaliser was the first goal I've seen us concede in that time!

A final word about the crowd. Sutton's ground is unsegregated and reminded me (a bit) of PP in the sixties, when you could change ends at half time, if you wanted to. At first, I thought this was refreshing. The SWA chose to stand in the usual away end. As Rovers were defending this end first half, a few home fans moved stand behind the same goal. Within minutes, the friendly banter had turned to abuse bordering on threatening behaviour. The police took immediate action, moved the Sutton fans and closed a gate, separating the two sets of fans. That was a shame, especially at Christmas. I now know why, even at this level, segregation is necessary.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the reports. It’s puzzling why essentially the same team played so much better than at Solihull, but at least our priorities the right way round. My experience at away games is the opposite to BBTC, haven’t seen a win in about 7 years. Anyway, hopefully this is a start of a good run in the festive period, with January fixtures being tougher.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for the reports. It’s puzzling why essentially the same team played so much better than at Solihull, but at least our priorities the right way round. My experience at away games is the opposite to BBTC, haven’t seen a win in about 7 years. Anyway, hopefully this is a start of a good run in the festive period, with January fixtures being tougher.
I know how you feel, Boz. I had a bad run like that before the current one. Maybe if we need just a point from our last match we should make sure we both attend. ;)

Reactions: Boz