• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Stevenage (4) v Tranmere (3)

Match result

• Stevenage

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stevenage (4) v Tranmere (3)
Posted by Ian
The Lamex Stadium
Saturday, November 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Onto the next one for the not so mighty whites, and for me a welcome distraction from the league. Rovers travel to The Lamex Stadium in the 1st round of the FA Cup. How we could do with some additional funds to bolster the squad, but we couldn't win an argument at the moment so I'm expecting a quick exit from the competition.

Adkins may look to make changes for this one, give other players a chance to impress and god forbid, change the formation a little to see if there is hope from elsewhere.

Rovers are in terrible form at the moment so the least said about that the better. Stevenage are enjoying life in league one and are sitting 6th in the league with seven wins, five draws and four losses. In their last game they beat Derby 3-1 and I really can't see anything but a home win here. No doubt former Rover Kane Hemmings will put a few past us to really rub salt into the wounds.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes put this aside we could do with a good game. But with the away form being as bad as the interviews from tge club and the all around mood of the fan base we all know a hammering is coming. At least I am doing a private party so wont have to listen to the radio

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Reality check maybe needed, we've been in freefall since Mellon was dispatched and that was because people, including the chair, decided we should be better and the style of football wasn't up to it. Others lauded the arrival of Saunders on feint evidence and approved the dispatch of Hemmings in spite of obvious class in a dysfunctional attack.
Playing away at Borough is probably a step up on County, Sir Alf would have trouble getting anything out of it.
King took six months of major signings before even getting off the bottom, Nigel has had 10 matches and no signings. He's more qualified than most like Mellon, Hill and even Adams but there are no guarantees apart from he is a better bet than a random rookie.
Unlike playing catch up on the play offs it is quite easy to climb out of the drop zone as others collect few points. It may just take some weeks, some recruitment and a bit of patience. The left back position has been a horror show and has clearly defused the useful Hawkes in front of it. If Norris can stay fit I think it maybe quite an easy recovery otherwise he needs a cover signing.
We have to remember our two strikers came from promotion sides where chances and goals were aplenty, stark contrast to us now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we leave it too long without changes, we will be needing a miracle after Xmas (if the current slump continues). I do not think we have the luxury of time.

Adkins is experienced but ultimately a 'failed manager'. I'm not sure he has the right temperament when a battle is needed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
From listening to Nigel last week I think we’ll put a decent side out with perhaps a few changes. Hendry may come back in. Yarney perhaps and Hawkes for Saunders. Maybe Jolley for Dennis.

I’d be tempted to keep Norris on the bench and perhaps not even risk him with much more important league games coming up.

Inevitable Hemmings will score.

Last edited:

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
If we leave it too long without changes, we will be needing a miracle after Xmas (if the current slump continues). I do not think we have the luxury of time.

Adkins is experienced but ultimately a 'failed manager'. I'm not sure he has the right temperament when a battle is needed.
On that curious basis all managers like politicians end in failure. Took Scunny beyond their dreams and cemented Soton in the Prem. Fact is he is weeks ahead of anyone new unless they are internal. The last thing this team needs is a hot head screaming at them, confidence is very low.
The more changes the worse things tend to get. If Pike can sort out our biggest issue, the defence can settle. Just needs to keep the energy levels up on the wide of the five then frankly I only see recruitment sorting the 9 issue out. Disappointed Norris didn't get on at h-t even if he needed subbing himself later.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On that curious basis all managers like politicians end in failure.
I know! Sorry, I couldnt resist a dig at MP.

The last thing this team needs is a hot head screaming at them, confidence is very low.
That's exactly what they need. No shrinking violets! Give it to them, lay it on thick! Our survival is at stake or do we go out with a whimper..?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we definitely need more discipline and focus in the squad, to give the players more certainty and direction if nothing else.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Once again changes are being made because of circumstances.
This does not bode well for competition for places, Hendry to come back in? Others to replace others!
We need a settled side going into the FGR game.
Have a host of changes, see what is in the squad, then go from there.
This is not a game we have a lot of chances of winning.
So use it for those who haven't got minutes!

The youth game is on Wednesday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
{f you look at Adkins more recent managerial record; Reading, Sheffield United Charlton, it's actually fairly average with a win rate of just over a third. If he was able to manage that with our remaining games (it's currently worse) it would be cutting it fine as to whether we got enough points to survive. He also was been involved to some extent since pre-season and presumably had some input into player recruitment. while he has changed little tactically from Dawes. Like others, I don't see dramatic changes in the January window. See where we are after the Sutton game but if there aren't signs of improvement and more points on the board we need to find someone else.

As for the trip to Stevenage, I agree with Sparky that we should use Luke Norris sparingly, if at all. Otherwise a fairly strong line-up. Our best hope is if Stevenage think they have a real chance of going up and decide to rest a few.

ADD

Player
Norwood
{f you look at Adkins more recent managerial record; Reading, Sheffield United Charlton, it's actually fairly average with a win rate of just over a third. If he was able to manage that with our remaining games (it's currently worse) it would be cutting it fine as to whether we got enough points to survive. He also was been involved to some extent since pre-season and presumably had some input into player recruitment. while he has changed little tactically from Dawes. Like others, I don't see dramatic changes in the January window. See where we are after the Sutton game but if there aren't signs of improvement and more points on the board we need to find someone else.

As for the trip to Stevenage, I agree with Sparky that we should use Luke Norris sparingly, if at all. Otherwise a fairly strong line-up. Our best hope is if Stevenage think they have a real chance of going up and decide to rest a few.
It's worse than that though Boz.
Adkins was here for the entire window (arrived 7 May) and that to me is the most scary/ depressing thing about this shambles we are in. I can excuse to an extent Dawes getting it wrong in his first go at recruitment if he indeed had any real say but Adkins must surely have as much input as anyone in recruitment be the others MP/ Beck
If he wasn't involved then he should have had the integrity irrespective of his freindship with MP to resign and leave us to it.
Secondly performances are in reality no better as you say and if anything he has benefitted from a more settled side than Dawes had given we were still recruiting up until we had played 5 of his 7 matches in charge.
Norris will probably get 30 minutes off the bench to try and rescue us. If Taylor is fit he should start as should Apter of course but I expect us to lose by 2 goals.

Blackpool wouldn’t let Apter play in the Cup last season when he was on loan at Scunthorpe, so don’t know if he’ll be available for us on Saturday.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not convinced Adkins was too heavily involved in recruitment. His knowledge of players at this level will have been very limited, and Dawes and Palios admitted that a lot of players we signed in the summer were identified in the second half of last season or earlier.

I would guess the main drivers behind recruitment were Palios and Beck, with similarly mixed results to most seasons in the last nine years.

However, I agree that Adkins' performance has not been impressive and it is peculiar that he has adopted basically the same tactics as Dawes, at least until the last couple of games. That suggests some kind of agreed approach on tactics and playing style, possibly in direct rejection of the methods adopted by Mellon.

I agree that Norris will get at least twenty minutes on Saturday, not least because we need him to play some part in the FGR and Sutton games. What price he comes off the bench to score the winner against his former club.......

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes a tale of two former strikers on Saturday.

Hemmings who struggled last season for us but seems happy at Stevenage in league one as a bit part player and scored v derby on Saturday.

Norris who could have played in league one at a struggling league two side and has hardly played albeit because of injury.

I’ve not got much enthusiasm for the game given the likely outcome and our woeful league form.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Not sure what formations he's been adopting lately, but it often looks like one up top, even if the intention was two. As we're invariably under the cosh, any plan has probably gone west quickly.
Once Norris is up to speed we'll understand if there is/was ever the intention to play with the Norris/Dennis combo I think many of us would like. It will be frustrating if it's not tried.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I'm aware that we need cash from the FA cup. However, that is not paid out till the end of the season (I think) so it won't impact January window too much. I would give minutes to those that need minutes, any niggles, or concerns, give others a chance to shine and see how we get on. It is an opportunity to give Jenno a rest and keep him fit for FGR.
Just hope it's not an absolute drubbing.

A loss unless a miracle happens.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Not sure what formations he's been adopting lately, but it often looks like one up top, even if the intention was two. As we're invariably under the cosh, any plan has probably gone west quickly.
Once Norris is up to speed we'll understand if there is/was ever the intention to play with the Norris/Dennis combo I think many of us would like. It will be frustrating if it's not tried.
Adkins has clearly played 451 throughout, only the 9 is left beyond the gameline when we start defending which is a lot of the time. Dawes could argue he played 433 because the wide two up top didn't seem to know their role when not in possession. At Stockport we played 442, Jenno playing off Dennis which just replicated every system used last term and they all failed.
Without a proper 9 you cannot waste a second forward like we did Saturday. If Norris had come on for Saunders even if he had to be replaced himself later, we may have stayed in the game. Tomorrow surely we start with Norris and when we sub him we go 451, a system reasonably well drilled by now.
I think it will be fatal to play 442 when Norris is not on the pitch. A second Norris is the major call for Jan window. Any ideas?