• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Southend v Rovers

Southend v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Roots Hall
Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
the biggest game a must win . hope the rovers of the second half on sat turn up and hope monthe and clark get to gel fast as we need to stop the leaks at the back and with connor getting going at last and the ferry man chipping in with a few i want and think 2-0 win with perkins dropping to the bench to .

Player
aldo
ok chaps and girlies . the boys have had a rest . what do we think . Clark to start with mammy . does Alex start in MF who who is left out . . lucke and harvey on the bench . the comp for places is growing witch is only a good thing we need to win this .lose it we are screwed . its a must win

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Probably just like MM, I've no idea what our best formation for the game will be. Every time he tries to select a team to repeat a previous good performance, it tends to go pete tong with unpredictable results! Yes, Clark and Manny, and I think I'd start Woodyard ahead of Perkins and give Danns the armband. Ferrier, Morris and Jennings are definites and CBT must have played himself back in. So I'd go:

Chapman
Caprice - Monthe - Clarke - Woods
CBT - Woodyard - Danns - Morris
Jennings
Ferrier

But wouldn't be surprised if he went 5 at the back with and left out Woods or one of the midfield 4. In fact not many selections would surprise me. Either way, as you say, our bench will be looking stronger which will give us more options.

Southend can't be taken lightly but equally this is a really good opportunity to bridge the gap back to the pack and build up confidence levels in the process.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Believe it or not, it’s my first live game of the season and I’m really looking forward to seeing it. On paper, this will be our easiest away game of the season and even a draw would be a disappointment and a massive blow. This will be against a side who keep losing games after taking a two goal lead. We are of course the comeback kings of League One, so even if we go down we should be able to recover.
It seems with new players and returnees plus the buzz from Watford and a whole week off, we should be too strong for the Shrimpers. I just hope I’m right.

Player
ian goodison
BBTC love your optimism I thought the home game against southend at home was an easy fixture!!!!! but like you even a draw would feel like a kick in the teeth anyway enjoy the game

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
BBTC love your optimism I thought the home game against southend at home was an easy fixture!!!!! but like you even a draw would feel like a kick in the teeth anyway enjoy the game
I like to think (hope) we are a better squad than last time we played them. Frankly, if you can’t be optimistic about this one, we have no chance of winning anything.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I like to think (hope) we are a better squad than last time we played them. Frankly, if you can’t be optimistic about this one, we have no chance of winning anything.
I think you are right. My biggest fear here is that the player's are too focused on next week's replay and the dreams of a major 4th round tie. While understanding that it is Mickey's job to get the mindset right and ensure 100% commitment it is not a simple thing to do! Personally I'd have a psychologist in before the end of the week! It really does need to be a case of the next game being the most important.

drwhoman

Spot on. If you ever listen to Klopp it is all about the next game whoever they are playing. Next week is for next week. Total focus now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The competition for places is now so tough that if they take their foot off the pedal on Saturday, they risk being dropped for Tuesday.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Spot on. If you ever listen to Klopp it is all about the next game whoever they are playing. Next week is for next week. Total focus now.
The competition for places is now so tough that if they take their foot off the pedal on Saturday, they risk being dropped for Tuesday.
You're making me feel more confident, already!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Centre half partnership may depend on Nelson who went off last night but even so, Clarke and Manny would be the preferred 2 if a back 4.
whether Woodyard plays is interesting as Danns and perks did well at Watford. He could play 3 in the middle but Jennings is a certainty and surely Morris too. Plus woods did well at left back and CBT impressed second half. Decisions decisions!!

all that said, the good feeling from the Watford second half must be taken on to Saturday. Southend are pretty hopeless and a good win will set us up for Tuesday. The gap to the teams above us needs shortening and I can’t even comprehend a defeat

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This really is a must win game and I am reasonably.hopeful that we will win 2 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would go with the team suggested by ONIGP at the top of the thread; a 4411 with Danns and Woodyard in midfield and Jennings just off Ferrier. I think in the long term Woodyard is certain to take Perkins' place, whereas Danns still looks like he has something to offer. CBT has a slight injury, so there may be an enforced change to the team that finished the Watford game.

I am pretty confident we can win this match. Southend's defensive record is absolutely hopeless and we always carry an attacking threat. We have scored at least one goal in each of the last eleven games, and I think the addition of Clarke and Woodyard can give us the defensive solidity we have lacked all season. All of that said, Southend drew recently with both Wimbledon and MK Dons, so a victory is not guaranteed even if we perform well.

The three matches that follow this game are very tough indeed, so we desperately need three points to avoid being cut well adrift.

I don't imagine there will be a huge Rovers following after the big turnout at Watford last week, and I would guess about 400 SWA will be in attendance.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
You’ve got to fancy us... IF we keep 11 men on the pitch! We do seem to love creating a challenge for ourselves so let’s hope for once we make things easier!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
KTF is right to remind us of the home game against the Shrimpers, off the back of the win at Coventry we struggled to a draw. The hosts seem to have financial problems, wages paid late, but they've drawn their last couple of games and nothing can be taken for granted.

While we are not short of options in midfield and up front, still more stretched at the back and I don't expect us to keep a clean sheet. I wonder if Micky might be tempted to keep Woods back for the Watford game, given the fitness doubts about him. While Perkins is captain, expect Micky to start him so Woodyard either on the bench or replacing Danns.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would think Woodyard is certain to start and he performs the same role as Perkins. Danns has been much better than David recently, so I would be surprised if the midfield pairing is not Woodyard / Danns. But time will tell.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Without wishing to obsess about our constant injury list (which I do, especially in work to justify our poor form) Do we know how this is occurring? Particularly with out of favour players... Potter being the alleged latest but numerous before? Has Miller now left? Six month contract I think but no word from the o/s that I’ve seen? Wilson? Borthwick-Jackson?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with MH that the o/s isn’t great at keeping us updated about players. Borthwick-Jackson has returned to Man Utd, but don’t know beyond that.

Player
aldo
reports some of there players still not being payed and so some staff stewards say they are going on strike if not payed . its going tits up at a few clubs now it needs sorting