• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Salford (1) v Rovers (5)

Match result

• Salford

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Salford (1) v Rovers (5)
Posted by Ian
Peninsula Stadium
Tuesday, December 26, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, December 26, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don’t like to see anyone lose their job, but you have to wonder if their manager has had his last match in charge. A poor run of results and now five goals conceded at home to a team without an away win thus far. If they need a change, it should be before the transfer window opens.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What a brilliant result. At last something for the travelling SWA to cheer about.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very unexpected the extent of today’s win.,a great result. With pretty much the same players available as to Dawes, Adkins has turned things around and puts us into a much more optimistic place heading into 2024.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Jingle bells.........etc.

...............To watch Tranmere win away!

What was everyone concerned about?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don’t like to see anyone lose their job, but you have to wonder if their manager has had his last match in charge. A poor run of results and now five goals conceded at home to a team without an away win thus far. If they need a change, it should be before the transfer window opens.
Yes you would think Neville etc will wield the axe soon. They don’t have a great record appointing managers

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Now to all of you who said we would lose hang your heads in shame. Really hope Saunders gets a run going 5 different scorers when was tge last time we scored 5 be our nat lg days. Last time we won 5-1away Wrexham if im not wrong. Brilliant by the boys tgats wh t we all want goals goals goals now looking forward to the next game and not dreading it

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We were playing opposition in poor form but we were absolutely superb, the most complete performance to date under Adkins. Some of the incisive, one-touch football was a joy to watch.

I thought everybody played well, but there were some outstanding individual displays. Morris and Wood linked very well down the left side, Hendry was busy and creative and I lost count of the number of challenges Walker won in front of the back four. Matt Smith is a real handful, but Turnbull was excellent against him and kept him quiet for the majority of the afternoon. Jennings was exceptional in the second half.

Salford still have some very good individual players and were threatening on occasions, and McGee made a couple of excellent saves at vital moments which would have been beyond most League Two keepers.

We look a well-balanced, well-drilled side and full of confidence now, completely unrecognisable from the team of even six weeks ago.

Frustrating in a sense, as we could have been genuine challengers with this squad if it was not for some bizarre decisions that were made last spring. Then again, if the form of the last month continues for the remainder of the season we will exceed seventy points, so perhaps we should dream......

Man of the match Kieron Morris.

Last edited:

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes it would be forgotten about that lol what a brilliant day today has been

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
What i like about Nigel is you can tell he is a fan and you can see jis passion for the club. I lkve it long mey it continue bring ot on

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I really enjoyed that. As RLC says some of the one touch passing was a joy.
Salford have some decent players, but we're very poor. For which we must take some credit. A new manager will probably get a good tune out of their squad - similar to Nigel's impact at our place.
Just looked at the fixtures. Boxing Day, Friday 29th and New Year's Day!! One down two to go, but it will be a massive strain on the players. I know Cristmas is normally busy, but that seems heavy to me.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If we come away with 4 points in next 2 games that will be a bloody good Xmas. And at last we did not make a poor team play like Barcelona we normally mess those games up

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
You read it first on White Review. Not happy news but inevitable.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Another angle on the fantastic 5-1 win, this time from the home end, and fair play to the young lad, he gives Tranmere and the supporters a lot of credit.

Fair play indeed. He was honest, objective and must have put a lot of work into that piece. Very good, apart from the sound quality. I loved the comment from his mate (aka the pundit), when asked at half-time what his thoughts were. One word, four letters, beginning with s and ending with t.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Finally was able to watch the entire game on catch up Ifollow as I am abroad for a while and as RLC and others said that was simply a consummate team performance and makes it even more bizarre how long it has taken the same group of players who many of us said right from the get go were perfectly good enough to do well at this level to gel.
Individually I thought Wood was excellent again, Hendry and Walker are playing really really well now in tandem and were the focus of some lovely interplay - which was a joy to behold. In fact there were no weak performances. Saunders I really am not a fan of but fair play to him a very well taken goal though he missed a couple of other good chances when he at least should have hit the target but blasted wide.
Credit to Adkins also of course - he has instilled the players with a desire to play entertaining football whilst pressing hard and keeping their shape and I loved that we showed a degree of ruthlessness by keeping attacking right to the death.
Hopefully the first of many such performances!