• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Salford (1) v Rovers (5)

Match result

• Salford

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Salford (1) v Rovers (5)
Posted by Ian
Peninsula Stadium
Tuesday, December 26, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, December 26, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Quick match thread for this one on boxing day. Surely we can pick up some more points on the road with a short trip to the Peninsula Stadium to take on struggling Salford who have not won in the league since October.

This is another great chance to close the gap as we now start looking up the table for a change. Dennis will still be out so I'd expect a similar lineup to Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As Ian says Salford in pretty poor form at present, while it would help us if we could get something or preferably everything from this game.

Assuming no fresh injury concerns, I would expect a fairly similar line-up to Swindon. Though think Adkins might look at a greater physical presence up from with Jolley replacing Saunders. Then expecting a bit more personnel change for the Harrogate trip.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would happily take a draw despite their current poor form but think we will lose 2 1.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Jolley is more likely to convert a chance than Saunders and that can be the difference on the day. But Adkins seems to have structured plans and the speed of Saunders is presently part of them, which you have to respect. However his rotation theory is going to have start appearing before an hour is up today. Maybe Apter dragged, Saunders wide and Jolley on. Hawkes and McAlear also earlier?
If we still had Dennis I'd go win, now not so sure.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Jolley is more likely to convert a chance than Saunders and that can be the difference on the day. But Adkins seems to have structured plans and the speed of Saunders is presently part of them, which you have to respect. However his rotation theory is going to have start appearing before an hour is up today. Maybe Apter dragged, Saunders wide and Jolley on. Hawkes and McAlear also earlier?
If we still had Dennis I'd go win, now not so sure.
Adkins has overall clearly got us more organised and motivated than before and few would have any issues with the back 5 and midfield (maybe some would suggest Hawkes should have had more time) but there is far more question marks around his choice of front men. Saunders should be no more than a super sub IMO at most. Why Taylor has disaappeared from view is still bugging me - he is already better than Jolley or Saunders and more importantly will get a lot better still (whereas I expect little improvement for those two) but only if he is played. On Saturday why move Apter upfront against Swindon rather than bring Taylor on and leave Apter where he is best? Seemed strange to me but surely he should be getting minutes even if not starts when both Norris and Dennis are injured.
As to the game - hopefully finally an away win - going for a 2-1 win as I did on Saturday - Apter and Taylor to score assuming he gets on:)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In fairness, Hawkes was excellent when he came on against Swindon and the tactical switch in the front four made a difference.

I hope Adkins sticks with the attacking quartet that finished the game on Saturday, although Jolley might come in for Saunders.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I don’t think Adkins has given Sam Taylor enough game time recently, it was the right approach not to bring him on v Swindon and I don’t think he has the physical strength yet to be a regular starter in away games. To be fair to Jolley he had a shot blocked and won us a free-kick in the 5 or so minutes he had on the pitch.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Gone for a draw, hopefully the win will give the lads the confidence to get a result, he a belated Christmas present to get a win!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
2 up at half time through Saunders and Morris sounds very good so far, more of the same in the second half will do.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
3!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-3.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sutton leading Forest Green going to lose, Colchester now losing

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A very good day. First away win. First five goals. First back to back league wins. Goal difference now nearly back to zero. Half the outfield players get on the scoresheet. And best of all we are now closer to the playoffs than to the relegation zone. Hard not to get excited, but I am definitely feeling relieved as we move into 2024.