• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Sutton

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Sutton

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Sutton
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, January 7, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 7, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
"another poor Scot in nets" - care to expand on that ? I don't recall any previous Scottish keepers we've had. Howler by Ross today but I'm not sure how his nationality is relevant
Tommy Lawrence, The Flying Pig is the last one I can remember!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
"another poor Scot in nets" - care to expand on that ? I don't recall any previous Scottish keepers we've had. Howler by Ross today but I'm not sure how his nationality is relevant
A nod to the late Greavsie and an old theme from some time ago, which you may not remember.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
with Nevitt looking not interested and Joel not Able to last more than half a game we need more forward power and we need someone who can kick ass in the middle of the park we just lack quality but fair play to Kane he has now got 3 goals in 4 games so showing he is finally coming into form

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Talking of keeping cock ups Alisson of shitapool has just kicked it to a wolves player who has just scored its the reds first team against a wolves reserve team and we thought Tranmere where bad they are overpaid and shit

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
with Nevitt looking not interested and Joel not Able to last more than half a game we need more forward power and we need someone who can kick ass in the middle of the park we just lack quality but fair play to Kane he has now got 3 goals in 4 games so showing he is finally coming into form
Utterly bizarre to claim Nevitt looks disinterested, headless chicken I could live with but not lacking effort. Joel's withdrawal remains a slight mystery and concern, his mere presence has changed the dynamic of the team. Hemmings is no different to before, it is just he is actually getting the ball in front of goal. It should make people stop and think about Hawkes, it is not just his goals you want but his supply. Today for the second time recently he put a dreadful pass to Hemmings in what should have been a shooting position but ended up a tackle.
The last four matches have been hugely better and the results scant reward although today was a bit self inflicted

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thought Micky comes across well in the post-match interview tonight.

Gareth Roberts on commentary picked Merrie as MoM mainly on the amount of challenges he won and fouls he drew, although he conceded that there was no real standout candidate. Was O'Connor quieter than usual, he didn't get many mentions during the game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Merrie and O'Connor were both pretty poor, although Merrie improved a bit in the middle period of the game when we were on top. Interestingly, one of Micky's first comments in his interview was that the midfield was not good enough today.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thought Micky comes across well in the post-match interview tonight.

Gareth Roberts on commentary picked Merrie as MoM mainly on the amount of challenges he won and fouls he drew, although he conceded that there was no real standout candidate. Was O'Connor quieter than usual, he didn't get many mentions during the game.
For me the main issues with playing those 2 together is a lack of goals and not enough creativity either

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
For me the main issues with playing those 2 together is a lack of goals and not enough creativity either

Lack of height was also an issue today against a very big team.
I thought McAlear would chip in with a few goals, but that hasn't happened yet. He's a big unit, so might have helped in that regard

This season, Merrie has 5 assists in all competitions and O'Connor 2, with neither having scored for Rovers either. Other options aside from McAlear are fairly limited. Nolan's game seems better equipped to trying to hold onto a result, Hughes may work in some games, but he looks too lightweight to cope with a physical game like this one. Move Morris/Hawkes into a more central position possibly?

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we need another creative midfielder. Either that, or McAlear would have to develop pretty rapidly.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure mcalear is a big unit Boz. He’s quite slight and more technical than physical. It’s a shame it’s not worked out for Reece who had a good season last year albeit in the Scottish championship.

Given the lack of subs I don’t think Micky has much faith that any of nolan, hughes or mcalear can serious challenge merrie or OConnor for a starting berth at present.

We do need another centre mid with an eye for goal, someone like Ollie banks in his heyday. Can’t see Micky putting Morris or hawkes there.

The problem is we won’t have enough money for a striker and centre mid, and possibly a winger to seriously compete. So we’ll wait and see

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not sure mcalear is a big unit Boz. He’s quite slight and more technical than physical. It’s a shame it’s not worked out for Reece who had a good season last year albeit in the Scottish championship.

Given the lack of subs I don’t think Micky has much faith that any of nolan, hughes or mcalear can serious challenge merrie or OConnor for a starting berth at present.

We do need another centre mid with an eye for goal, someone like Ollie banks in his heyday. Can’t see Micky putting Morris or hawkes there.

The problem is we won’t have enough money for a striker and centre mid, and possibly a winger to seriously compete. So we’ll wait and see
He's over 6 foot so taller than Merrie/O'Connor. He also looks quite broad in comparison to them. It's too early to write him off, though of the summer signings, he was the one I had the highest hopes for. Agree with the rest of what you say.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He's over 6 foot so taller than Merrie/O'Connor. He also looks quite broad in comparison to them. It's too early to write him off, though of the summer signings, he was the one I had the highest hopes for. Agree with the rest of what you say.
Yes I was impressed with him pre season. Has an eye for a goal and a good engine but whatever reason he’s not been able to claim a regular place. To be fair merrie and O’Connor have had a number of decent performances but micky can be stubborn at times when it comes to making changes

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sorry to return to the issue of leadership, but our reaction to conceding the equaliser was poor and Sutton were the stronger side in the closing stages. That again suggests an absence of leaders on the pitch when things go against us.
A valid point. I think we have some with turnbull and davies but in The middle of midfield there isn’t much. Hawkes and Morris aren’t really the type Either and Hemings wears the armband but isn’t a natural leader in my opinion.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The quality isn’t there in the middle. O’Connor is good as a defensive midfielder but Merrie is poor in my view. I thought McAlear might have been the answer in midfield but he’s been too inconsistent. Another developer but not one we can rely on right now.