• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v L 21S

Player
aldo
would give happy gilmoure a game or half would also play payne and mullin would give most of the first team a break sat is more important . would not play clark or monthe

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I can never remember the number of changes allowed from the previous fixture but we should use the rule to full advantage … personnel permitting.

ADD

Player
Norwood
ONIGP I think we have to have 5 players who played in the last game or who are "regulars" as in have played in a certain number of games... or will play next game.
As to the game itself I want us to win first and foremost.
Secondly I want players like Pilling and DWR to have great games that force MM to admit they are good enough to be played - ok I think only 1 of these will make it but let's at least see.
Thirdly this youngster Hayde who was named on the bench against Coventry who apparently is doing great for the U18's and so deserved a bench place against Coventry (and whom very few will have ever seen play) could possibly get some game time and we might even find we have have unearthed a real player??
Fourthly, Woodyard if not cup tied can get some game time.
Finally Gilmour, Ellis, Gumbs, RHM, Mc Cullough??? etc. etc. (if any are close) might get at least some game time and so get closer to giving us options in certain positions...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a pity we can't play this game behind closed doors at Solar Campus to protect the pitch.

I definitely would not risk Woodyard, who is already match fit and has been playing regularly for Peterborough. I am also not sure these games can ever tell us how youngsters will react to first team football, as the environment is so different.

Play the kids, the fringe players that are out of the manager's plans and those that need game time as they return from injury (DWR, Spellman, Hayde, Gilmour, McCullough, Mullin, Payne etc.).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with the general thrust of the comments here; play as weak a side as we can get away with.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thank the lord we are finally out of that dreadful competition.
Did anyone go?

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Bloody ‘ell! Sid injured? Among the few remaining grass blades also on the treatment table? Hope

Player
Manager
John King
Thank the lord we are finally out of that dreadful competition.
Did anyone go?
Yes, I am quite relieved we are out. I watched on IFollow. The game was quite disjointed, as you would expect with so many changes and so many youngsters featuring, but there were some decent performances. McCullough was very good and Gilmour did ok and got the assist for the goal, which was tapped home in typical fashion by Payne. Walker Rice's set piece delivery was excellent; he has a wand of a left foot and is a good prospect. Pilling's handling was solid but I thought he should have done better with the first goal, when he was beaten at the near post. Certainly glad that nonsense is over for another year, however.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
The commentators said that Banks is back in full training and Ridehalgh and Davies are not far away now.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes, I am quite relieved we are out. I watched on IFollow. The game was quite disjointed, as you would expect with so many changes and so many youngsters featuring, but there were some decent performances. McCullough was very good and Gilmour did ok and got the assist for the goal, which was tapped home in typical fashion by Payne. Walker Rice's set piece delivery was excellent; he has a wand of a left foot and is a good prospect. Pilling's handling was solid but I thought he should have done better with the first goal, when he was beaten at the near post. Certainly glad that nonsense is over for another year, however.
Thanks RLC for the review as I was unable to watch (on at 2.45 am here). As you know I championed DWR after the Man U game. What was your view as to his overall ability leaving aside his set piece delivery which good to hear was excellent again? Should he be getting at least some game time for the team? Secondly what about Hayde - he isn't even on the books yet but has been on the subs bench and is being talked of very highly. Did he stand out. Thanks

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While not a fan of this competition, we could have benefitted from the funds from progressing, especially now the Watford replay won’t get televised. Haven’t seen the highlights yet, did any of the youngsters stand out? Who were playing full-back and how did they do? Potter didn’t feature again so presume he’s injured?

Player
Manager
John King
Boz, DWR and Hayde played at full back. Hayde had a long throw but did not particularly stand out. ADD, Walker Rice has a great left foot but I am still not sure his all round game is good enough for the first team yet. The real positive was the performance of McCullough, who looked like he had not been away , and Gilmour who did ok. Not sure what the situation is with Potter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boz

ADD

Player
Norwood
Coincidentally just finished watching the game on repeat - I get the point about possibly not being ready but still feel he is an option if we are losing and need to go for set piece hoof ball.. He did ok last night but was not as impressive as against Man U in my eyes. Spellman started poorly but did well after that and looked better than I remembered. Agree re Hayde - he grew into the game but did not look anything special if I am honest. Pilling I thought did well. Yes the first goal was not ideal but the guy could have shot either side - wasn't exactly beaten at the near post.... Mc Cullough and Gilmour both did well and both looked fit. Suspect McCullough will be on the bench Saturday for sure.

Player
aldo
can,t rush McCullough . ease him in slow so not to get him hurt again we don,t wan,t another Ben Tollitt who keeps breaking down as for harvey we now have comp for places . potter was on a short contract so no loss there

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
So just the 2 trips to Wembley this year then …. ;)

Player
Manager
John King
I still think Pilling could have done better with the first goal. The shot went in on 'his' side of the goal to protect and I have noticed in previous games he is sometimes not great at reacting to low shots which are relatively close to his body. I think Davies is a better shot stopper than either of the other two keepers. However, I think Pilling has improved a lot in the last year.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McCullough reports sounded promising. Adding that bit more quality to the squad can only be a good thing.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
McCullough reports sounded promising. Adding that bit more quality to the squad can only be a good thing.
Definitely. The addition of Woodyard and Clark, the McCullough and Gilmore recoveries and some other returnees on the horizon gives a massively improved look to the quality of our squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've caught up with the limited highlights. Good corner from DWR leading to the Rovers goal. Poor defending in the build up to the Leicester equaliser, perhaps Pilling could have done better. Unfortunate deflections and a clinical finish for the Leicester winner.

It's interesting that Spellman, who started his career as a defender is now being deployed in midfield, while for this game Walker-Rice was used as a full-back. Might explain why Danny didn't have as much of an impact last night, as think he mostly plays midfield for the reserves.

AM, Potter was given a 1 year contract