• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Halifax

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was a really good performance and some excellent attacking play. McDonagh was excellent up front. Strong, great stamina, decent on the ball and played well with his teammates. DMH was excellent and Cole showed promise too.

The difference here and what we haven’t seen all season was the speed and trickery up front. With the two wingers and McDonagh up front we were a real handful and scoring goals looked easy today.

Agree with RLC, Duggan had a solid game at right back. Still think Jennings is huffing and puffing a lot, just don’t think he’s getting the rub at the moment.

Let’s hope this kind of performance continues.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Any reservations about the team selection were dispelled in the opening quarter hour as Rovers took a 2 goal lead, through Norwood, maybe a hint of offside about his second, a couple of other good chances missed, before Norwood went off with a bad head injury and momentum was lost. The second half started as mostly Halifax and they got a goal back from a corner, only for a deflected effort from debutant Cole to restore the margin of lead. Great interception from DMH and carried the ball half the length of the field before slotting past their keeper. Halifax got another back, courtesy of a slightly dubious free-kick and some poor defending and the remainder of the game was end to end, with McDonough being denied what most thought was a clear penalty.

The sponsors were spot on with DMH as MoM a great game, where he put himself about a bit, battled in the air and capped with an excellent goal. If the suggestion his loan will be extended to January is correct, that is brilliant news for us.

McDonagh had a good game, some great link-up play and work-rate. He took me back to my schooldays,being yelled out by the sports master for ducking under a rugby ball, when he ducked out of trying to win a header though. If he could improve in the air and be more committed going for headers, then it would make him a better all-round forward. Given that weakness currently in his game, there is an argument that Cook should have replaced the injured Norwood ahead of Larnell Cole, though he made little impact when eventually brought on. LC wasn't quite what I expected. Some real quality balls, an eye for goal, but at current levels of fitness no great pace and he seemed to mostly occupy the centre of the park rather than out wide. Clearly capable of playing at a higher level and his fitness can only improve with full training and match time.

A very odd performance from Mr Donohue the referee. Let all sorts of things go in the first half, but bar a stupid free-kick award in Halifax's favour when Denton was manhandling Sutton was ok. Inventing free-kicks for Halifax in the second half, ridiculous booking for McDonough,who tried to pull out of the challenge on their keeper and don't think Duggan's challenge merited a card either. Think Harris' booking, which was deserved will keep him out of the Peterborough Cup tie.

In some ways, it's a shame that the Cup game is next up, as carrying on that kind of performance onto our next league game could give the Daggers a real test.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, Boz. It sounds like a thoroughly deserved win, which should set us up nicely for next week. It will give us a chance to see how we rate against L1 opposition. For the first time this season, no expectation so no pressure.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In some ways, it's a shame that the Cup game is next up, as carrying on that kind of performance onto our next league game could give the Daggers a real test.

Yes, I agree. We will probably have to set up completely differently tactically at Peterborough as well, which means a few of today's top performers will miss out.

Player
aldo
Just home a little bit longer than i thought the day might have been . But buzzing that are magnificent team have won . Gutted not to have been there

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Both were available for the Halifax cup tie, so no reason why not. Cole also available, though as he hasn't played since last May, will probably be on the bench. Green is cup-tied I think, but don't believe from MMs post-match remarks he's ready for a start yet.

drwhoman

Thanks Boz. Good point. I had forgotten. I suspect we may get a similar team to Saturday for Posh but with Buxton in at full back. They will need Harris so it will be Hughes or Norburn. They could stick with the former.

Player
Manager
John King
Harris is suspended next Saturday and I would imagine we will set up in a 451. If we play the same line up as yesterday we will get battered.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If the Aldershot game is any guide, we may well get battered with a 451 though. Haven’t really thought about that game yet tbh.

Player
aldo
No no no we must stay confodent . Believe that we will win . Or as the mel gibson says in lethal weapon will them to win . Lets go there im on the bus im even gonna pull a sickie . . Will sing loud and proud . Win or lose . We know motley is gonna be with us for another month witch is superb he is class . Realy lookin forward to the match . Its abt time we showed posh who's boss . Lol

Player
Manager
John King
We will have to deploy a 451 more effectively than at Aldershot. If we do start with 442 it will be more cautious than yesterday's line up.

Player
aldo
We have been building up to getting goels you cant have loads of chances and not score its also good that they are being spread out across the team . Long mey it continue just wish we could get cookie scoring if mm will let him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just watched the highlights. Some very good passing moves between Duggan and DMH for Norwood's opener,which I hadn't appreciated from my viewpoint on the opposite side of the pitch.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just watched the highlights. Some very good passing moves between Duggan and DMH for Norwood's opener,which I hadn't appreciated from my viewpoint on the opposite side of the pitch.
I better watch those highlights, I missed the first goal after arriving late. Ironically, I laughed when my son said but what if we score early..

Player
aldo
I brought my little girle to the eastleigh game last year . She whent to nannies at half time . We won . The little monkey loves her rover teddy an brings it when she comes . Shes been 2 times with him this season an shes seen 3 wins . We are going for a family season tickets next year . So will win ll home games ☺