• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Halifax

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
First home game in 3 weeks. We have beaten the visitors recently at their place, but their last visit to PP resulted in a narrow 1-0 win for Rovers near the start of the Brabin era. They've not been in the best of form recently, but with forward Tom Denton back from suspension and dangerous winger Matty Kosylo also available, they should be a stronger opponent than our last meeting. Ex Rover Ben Tomlinson is also on their books, while presumably Waring will have to sit this one out.

I would expect a similar Rovers line up to the last game. If McNulty is still ill, McEveley to deputise, though against a striker like Denton, I have some reservations about Jay's defensive aerial ability. Buxton was to resume training today and may replace Duggan if he establishes his fitness. Even if the promised bus-load of loanee wingers materialise, I'd be surprised if any get beyond the bench.

Prediction: Should be a reasonable turnout from West Yorkshire, guessing around 300, in a crowd of around 4.6k. Sense this game will end in frustration again, with another draw.

Player
aldo
God boz try being a bit more positive man. But i can see where you're coming from . Not been great at pp . But its gotta change . Unfortunately for me im working on sat afternoon . Got a wedding to cook for so wont know the scores till abt 1 at night . Lucky me hey im going positive 4-0 cook gettin 3 an back to best . Ps be there for fire works on sunday with mi little 5 year old an family

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As AM says, this is a game we are well capable of winning. Halifax have Denton and Kosylo available, but the former is the kind of player McNulty enjoys coming up against and it appears Steve will be available tomorrow. The Shaymen were no great shakes in the cup tie a couple of weeks ago and looked pretty weak in midfield, an area where Norburn and Jennings had the upper hand.

Despite the decent performance on Tuesday night, Micky has a few decisions to make. Does at least one of the new signings start the game ? The manager must be tempted to play an out-and-out winger on the opposite flank to DMH, but that would mean dropping Jennings. Similarly, Adam Buxton is available, but it would be harsh to drop Duggan after some encouraging displays. Jay McEverly has also performed well in the last couple of matches, although I expect Sutton will keep his place.

I agree with Boz's attendance prediction but I think we will win this one. With big games against Peterborough and Dagenham on the horizon, it is vital we get the three points.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Must win this as if we don't it's no wins in 4 league games with tougher games on the horizon.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wouldn't say anything is must win at this stage of the season but a win would certainly be good to get the momentum and confidence going again. Reverting back to RLCs post, I would be inclined to give Jennings a rest on the bench and play another winger. Jennings' versatility is good to have on the bench as the match progresses.

Stick to big Mac and Sutton at the back with Buxton back in the squad. Duggan has done nothing wrong but I think Buxton is the better player.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Buxton should only be recalled if there are no issues about his fitness and I have my doubts if he only resumed training yesterday. Similarly, only start with one of the new recruits if we're satisfied we can get at least 60 minutes out of them.

Player
Manager
John King
Curious line up. Cook and norburn dropped to the bench, mc donagh starts, presumably in a 442. Cole on the bench. Scratching my head at that one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Only Mickey would sign 2 wingers and drop our best target man in cook.

Hughe back in ahead of Norburn who has been our best midfielder this season.

CJ keeps his place after missing a sitter on Tuesday and being poor all season.

Halifax will be made up

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’d actually got myself into a bit of a positive mindset with the new recruits, but that starting xi has put a dampener on things. There is no evidence McDonough is better than Cook. If you were looking to ‘rest’ Norburn one of the away games would be better, he is more creative than Hughes and with Cole not deemed fit enough to start, it is hard to see where the goals will come from. 15 minutes to go and the turnout doesn’t look that good either.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We're the lowest scorers in the division and he drops cook. Yes he's not been playing well but he has no service.

I hope McDonough does well but If we don't win this Micky should go

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Blistering start from Rovers, 2 goals from Norwood, who then went off (head injury?) Cole came on but seems to be playing more central with Jennings staying out wide. Rovers had enough chances to extend the lead, but the early momentum has gone. Central defenders seem a bit iffy for us. Next goal crucial.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, where did that come from? All doom and gloom from this forum and we get our best win of the season with our youngest team.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A good performance overall from Rovers, deserved the win. Will post more when I get home.

Player
Manager
John King
A really entertaining game and a deserved victory for Rovers. Sightly frustrating that the win was not by a bigger margin as the scoreline flatters Halifax.

We all queried the starting line up but you can see what Micky was trying to achieve with that team: pace, movement and energy. Although there is an obvious personality clash with Cook, I get the impression that is the style of play Mellon prefers, rather than using a traditional target man. McDonagh is a more similar player to Stockton than Cook, mobile and links the play well, and he had a really good game today. With DMH out wide and Cole later bringing his trickery to the game, we caused havoc for most of the afternoon, creating lots of chances. We did look more vulnerable defensively than normal, but that is probably inevitable with such an adventurous line up, and after conceding early Halifax had nothing to lose and threw men forward.

Individually, there were some very good displays. McDonagh had his best game for us and looks a very useful player; DMH consistently caused them problems on the right; Cole was relatively quiet for long periods, but had an obvious touch of class and will surely get better as his fitness improves. The newcomers seemed to lift the confidence of the established players and Jennings, Hughes and Ridehalgh had their best games for a while, the latter with some great deliveries. Most pleasing for me, Mitch Duggan had a really solid game at right back against a tricky opponent.

Four wins, two draws and only one defeat in the last seven games now, and we seem finally to be finding some consistent form.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A really good day as other results went our way. Only four points outside the playoffs and nine from the top, despite our mediocre form.

Player
aldo
As i said be confodent . It has to change . Was not there as im cooking 4 a wedding today . But was listenin . Glad noors got a couple an great for the boys to score . Glad mitch did well again . Well done boys well done the magnificent fans.

Player
aldo
It did this afternoon got a massive buffet tonight will get home 1 ish only 14 hr day . But well worth it . Gotta go . Cheers cowshed,

drwhoman

We scored four!!!!!!! Halifax are not the best team we will play this season but this really was encouraging. MM clearly does prefer a Stockton type central attacker as was demonstrated last season. The Cole performance is encouraging as was the fact that DMH scored. A good young player who it would be great to keep for longer.