• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Dale

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rochdale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Dale
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, October 25, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This is rather frustrating, really need to beat these need to get a goal

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dale having a few chances though, could go either way.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Keeper makes decent save from Morris, Turnbull hits the bar with a header, just not quite happening in front of goal

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’d get mcalear on for merrie to give us another attacking option from midfield. We’re having some half chances but need a winner

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes poor recruitment in attacking areas once again coming back to haunt us. But we have loads of centre backs!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Disappointing result against a pretty poor team, a lack of goals again is a concern, not sure why no subs were used

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There were a few Rovers players tonight who looked a bit jaded, so surprised that Micky didn't make any changes. We had enough chances, mostly for Hemmings, who was at least getting in the right place, but only converted the one. Rochdale are probably the weakest of our opponents in this trio of home games, fairly well-organised and looked dangerous on the extremely rare occasions that they did get close to goal.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Another disappointing result...2 points salvaged against teams sitting 3rd and 4th from the bottom of the table...as in 2nd half on Saturday and all game tonight, chance after chance wasted...without any doubt our "striking" options are totally inadequate and not fit for purpose.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A frustrating evening.

There was no lack of effort and we played reasonably well up to the eighteen yard box, but we lacked quality and guile in the final third. I think tonight's game did show up the absence of attacking options on the bench. While they are decent players, I am not sure Hughes or MaClear would have made the difference tonight against a team that had numbers behind the ball and limited attacking intent. We really need a Hawkes / Nevitt type to come off the bench and give us a spark in games like tonight's, but the options simply are not there.

You also have to give credit to Rochdale for their defensive display. Despite some of the OTT comments above, they are actually one of the form teams in the division with three wins in their last five. The two games that follow against 'superior' sides will almost certainly be more open, which might actually suit us more.

A number of teams around us also dropped points in games they would expect to win, so the league position is pretty much as it was. It is a long season.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A frustrating night but we don’t have a divine right to win every home game. Rochdale came to frustrate us and they did a good job.

I hoped we would throw the kitchen sink at them early on with intensity but we didn’t get out of second gear. Their goal may have been a mistake (I need to see it again), and although we responded well with our goal, as with the Harrogate game we once again put several decent balls in the box with no one getting on the end of them. Second half they started the better but for the last half an hour we were camped in their half but couldn’t get the illusive second goal. It would be nice to have a striker either with real pace or be a real target man - Hemmings and Nevitt are both neither.

The lack of squad depth was exposed as Micky clearly had no confidence in the options on the bench although mcalear, Hughes or Burton could have been given a chance to mix things up. It feels like we’re flogging certain players to death at the moment and they will have off days so we badly need other options.

A lot of draws tonight so it’s not a disaster but with tougher games to come in the next few days we’ll need to be better in the final third.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says their was no lack of effort and credit of Rochdale they frustrated us with some gamesmanship and defended their box well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The first half was pretty poor to be honest but we picked up the pace in the second half, similar to Saturday but Rochdale really sat back in the second half to soak up a lot of Rovers pressure and tried to hit us quickly on the counter. Fair play to them, I did not think they were that bad albeit the defensive nature of their approach in the second half. They defended well, had some decent midfielders but not a lot up front. They will be happy with a point.

It just wasn't to be on the night, we tried and came close for that second but again we did not lose and we go again on Saturday. Due to the limitations in the squad there will be times when we have to fight and scrap for points as we do not have the luxury of decent options on the bench.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The way the squad was assembled is coming back to bite us on the behind, it was done to mainly play 3 centre halves with width from the wingback but as that didn't work we haven't got further options for wide midfield.
Also to sign 2 injury prone strikers was frankly ridiculous and surprisingly both are out long term.
Personally I don't see us being promoted this season and think we will miss out on the play offs again

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Good match summaries of not a bad performance at all, very similar in many ways to Saturday. It surely would have been a totally different game and positive outcome had we taken one of several really decent chances before they scored. To state the obvious your main striker taking one from four or five is not really good enough and a sharp striker can turn the game in a flash.
Anyone know the injury status of Mumbongo? Granted he didn’t seem anything special but would be a very different option off the bench. Also is Charlie Jolley nowhere near being available?
Whilst agree the options off the bench whilst Hughes & Maclear good players with potential not obvious game changers but you never know with a point to prove and some fresh legs. Would have been inclined to try something different even bringing on a defender and keeping Turnball forward - or would that have been a Truss like gamble that ends in disaster .
Positive we maintained the unbeaten run and games are reasonably enjoyable.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The way the squad was assembled is coming back to bite us on the behind, it was done to mainly play 3 centre halves with width from the wingback but as that didn't work we haven't got further options for wide midfield.
Also to sign 2 injury prone strikers was frankly ridiculous and surprisingly both are out long term.
Personally I don't see us being promoted this season and think we will miss out on the play offs again
Yes I agree although it’s too early to rule out promotion. Micky will be fully aware that we’ve recruited badly, putting all our eggs in one basket and signing players based on a single system that we’ve since ditched.

My guess is that Micky like the rest of us will hope we still in and around the top 10 come January, when we’ll do our usual post Xmas shopping and bring in a striker who is actually fit and can play plus at least one more wide man. The worry is if certain players pick up any injuries between now and then, we could drop down the table.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good match summaries of not a bad performance at all, very similar in many ways to Saturday. It surely would have been a totally different game and positive outcome had we taken one of several really decent chances before they scored. To state the obvious your main striker taking one from four or five is not really good enough and a sharp striker can turn the game in a flash.
Anyone know the injury status of Mumbongo? Granted he didn’t seem anything special but would be a very different option off the bench. Also is Charlie Jolley nowhere near being available?
Whilst agree the options off the bench whilst Hughes & Maclear good players with potential not obvious game changers but you never know with a point to prove and some fresh legs. Would have been inclined to try something different even bringing on a defender and keeping Turnball forward - or would that have been a Truss like gamble that ends in disaster .
Positive we maintained the unbeaten run and games are reasonably enjoyable.
Jolley from memory is out for the long term / he may not even play again this season. Mumbongo I think had a thigh problem but it’s been a while now and he’ll need time to get fit. We really can’t base any hopes on those two

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes I agree although it’s too early to rule out promotion. Micky will be fully aware that we’ve recruited badly, putting all our eggs in one basket and signing players based on a single system that we’ve since ditched.

My guess is that Micky like the rest of us will hope we still in and around the top 10 come January, when we’ll do our usual post Xmas shopping and bring in a striker who is actually fit and can play plus at least one more wide man. The worry is if certain players pick up any injuries between now and then, we could drop down the table.
I think it is too extreme to say we recruited badly. I don't think there is anything wrong with the first eleven - in fact, a number of them are top class - but there is an absence of depth and options, partly down to finances and also due to a couple of gambles which have not paid off (Mumbongo, Glatzel). However, a lot of other clubs at this level are in the same position.

You need flexibility with systems, and we might need to use five at the back later in the season. The issue is not having reasonable depth at the back, it is the lack of options up front.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mumbongo is out till Christmas and Jolley at least march, Glatzel also long term.