• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Ammies

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Salford

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Ammies
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
It felt inevitable that we wouldn’t be able to keep up the barn-storming intensity of the first half and that Salford would get more of a foothold. I had to double-take at the beginning of the game when we had all ten outfield players up for a corner (if I remember correctly); kind of set the tone for the first half. Despite Salford having that moment where they wondered why they hadn’t scored, I don’t recollect too much with regards to a direct threat and thought we defended well and that we had more and better chances in the second half; Bristow and Cogley were a couple I remember and there were one or two more. Based on the last two home games, I definitely feel we’ve had value for money and have beaten two good sides. It’s that magic word “consistency” that we need to display moving forward and we’re definitely still in with a shout; probably doesn’t help having three extremely tough fixtures coming up, but I’m sure we‘d have said something similar about the Orient and Salford games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really enjoyed the game today. Shows we have a good team and can mix it with the top dogs but they just need to learn to play like that every week. If we lose on Tues, we are back to square one again. Regarding players, I would also say the back pair of Davies and Turnbull were excellent today. Turnbull never missed a header, I thought he had a brilliant game, possibly spurned on by a section of away supporters.

Let's keep it up Rovers!!

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Just got in my body is so sore and i need sleep been at it since 7 this morning and with no breaks the beer is flowing so if i start chatting shit sorry guys. Now well played Rovers but thr lack of goals up front is so bad but all that matters is we won

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great win for Rovers, although as I mentioned earlier, the possession and goal attempts stats were actually more in our favour at Doncaster. Lies, damned lies and... Quality goal to win it, hadn't appreciated the part that Hendry and Hawkes played in the build-up until viewing the highlights again, but Bristow's cross was superb and Morris had attacked the right space to be there and tuck it away. We lost our way a little in the second half after the triple substitution, but Micky with the right move, giving us a fresh infusion of energy with the subs. Perhaps he should have taken Hendry off with the first tranche, as he was looking absolutely bushed by that point. After we survived the double clearance off the line, for the remainder of the game Rovers were comfortable and more likely to increase the lead than Salford to level. A word about our opponent, for a form team they were surprisingly subdued. While undoubtedly talented, the tendency to make a meal of every challenge, especially as Touray on Lee O'Connor was probably the worst foul of the afternoon, was reminiscent of their ownership in their playing days.

Mention has already been made of the double goal-line clearance and Hewelt's perceived failings in dealing with that. More generally, there seemed to be an excess of caution from the defenders with the keeper today, can recall JDC kicking the ball into touch rather than back-pass and Turnbull heading out for a corner, when Hewelt looked well-positioned to claim. There's a need for better communication, but don't think Doohan was particularly vocal either and similar difficulties weren't often arising there. As we don't have any other keeping options, maybe more work needed on the training ground.
With specific reference to the incident, think it has to be recognised what a great defence-splitting ball it was for the attacker to run onto. Having been left exposed, could Hewelt have come off his line quicker? Perhaps, but he avoided conceding a penalty and by not going immediately to ground made it more difficult for the attacking player. Bristow did well to keep the first attempt out, but Tom Davies appearing from nowhere to clear the subsequent free header was out of this world!

I agree with the comments about the quality of sub options. That includes Mumbongo, who I'd have happily paid air fare back to Sweden on Tuesday night, but had a decent cameo when he came on today. I disagree with the suggestion that Saunders is a downgrade on Nevitt, his work-rate and pressing were excellent today and while he hasn't scored yet, none of the chances he had today were on a par with the one Hemmings hit straight at the keeper at Doncaster. Hemmings had a reasonable game today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mention has already been made of the double goal-line clearance and Hewelt's perceived failings in dealing with that. More generally, there seemed to be an excess of caution from the defenders with the keeper today, can recall JDC kicking the ball into touch rather than back-pass and Turnbull heading out for a corner, when Hewelt looked well-positioned to claim. There's a need for better communication, but don't think Doohan was particularly vocal either and similar difficulties weren't often arising there. As we don't have any other keeping options, maybe more work needed on the training ground.
I'm still not convinced by Hewelt, he just doesn't give me much confidence. Maybe he just needs more game time but there are elements to his game that concern me. Communication, reading the game and I think he struggles with bouncing balls in the box (doesn't have much presence) but I'm probably being harsh.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz that Saunders looks a significant upgrade on Nevitt. Whatever his other strengths, Nevitt's first touch and awareness of those around him was poor whereas Saunders looks a well rounded footballer, as well as being significantly quicker.

He was unlucky not to score today, particularly with the overhead effort.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes MM have to agree with micky about the clubs owners some guys need to take a step back and breath but we know they wont cut they are complete knobs

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Yes MM have to agree with micky about the clubs owners some guys need to take a step back and breath but we know they wont cut they are complete knobs
You have no hope, yesterday the absence of Walker led to the entire medical staff team being deemed useless. A lot of people live in a parallel universe nowadays.
Having watched the goal again on a big screen I am most dubious about being asked to accept the cross was aimed. Looks more like broken watch syndrome to me, sadly I don't even see Bristow hitting percentage balls he just seems to hit them. He is getting forward more and so looks better, not sure he is, on the other hand Hawkes is getting a lot better and solid in defending.
Plenty of positives and some great interplay on the flanks

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You have no hope, yesterday the absence of Walker led to the entire medical staff team being deemed useless. A lot of people live in a parallel universe nowadays.
Having watched the goal again on a big screen I am most dubious about being asked to accept the cross was aimed. Looks more like broken watch syndrome to me, sadly I don't even see Bristow hitting percentage balls he just seems to hit them. He is getting forward more and so looks better, not sure he is, on the other hand Hawkes is getting a lot better and solid in defending.
Plenty of positives and some great interplay on the flanks
Think you are very harsh on Bristow, he is a young lad in his first full season and played well yesterday and has played well most of the season.
He will probably be sold in the summer for decent money and will go on to a higher standard than us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I have some reservations about Bristow's defending, in my view it was a great cross and he had a good game in all aspects yesterday. Wouldn't claim it was aimed specifically at Morris, but it was a low fast ball in the zone of uncertainty and on the percentages there were a couple of other white shirts who might have made contact before Kieron snapped it up.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
While I have some reservations about Bristow's defending, in my view it was a great cross and he had a good game in all aspects yesterday. Wouldn't claim it was aimed specifically at Morris, but it was a low fast ball in the zone of uncertainty and on the percentages there were a couple of other white shirts who might have made contact before Kieron snapped it up.
Quite agree, but given his dreadful average crosses how can we be sure it was meant and might be repeated. Defensively and it happened again yesterday confronted with an attacker one on one he gets skinned every time, forwards are more robust confronted by trickery. His pace gets him out of problems like Cogley but unlike Cogley he cannot hold up or shackle attackers. Knife through butter.
There is nothing wrong with eyes as suggested by someone, we all saw the same great outcome, I do question what caused it- possibly luck of wild crosses coming off once in a while.
Also quite concerned about Hewelt there seems to be mutual confidence issues, him and his defence have little in him. This happened to Doohan last year. The nagging problem I have is he was behind Doohan in selection and I never rated the latter one bit!
But as pointed out you can sell sub-standard players for big fees, quite a happy paradox just a shame they have to played to do so. That said the options at left back appear to be nil, at least he is pushing on now

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bristow does not get skinned every time defensively. He is some way behind Cogley in his development, so it is not fair to make a direct comparison between the two players.

In any case, Bristow's defending is nowhere near as poor as is being suggested and has clearly improved as the season has progressed. And for what it is worth, he saved us two points yesterday with the extraordinary goalline clearance in the second half.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with boz here. Bristow does need to improve in his defensive work but he’s a young lad and we can’t afford ready made players who are excellent both going forward and defending. modern day fullbacks are very much leaning towards going forward and his links with other clubs show he’s overall doing well

I very much doubt the cross yesterday was specifically aimed at Morris. Just put into the danger zone hoping someone would get on the end of it or even an own goal.
At the time I was disappointed neither striker was there but relieved Morris was