• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Ammies

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Salford

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Ammies
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Saunders is getting involved quite a bit in the area and has had a couple of decent efforts, could do with a second

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very good goal, Morris at the far post but superb cross from Bristow. We’ve been just the better side but Salford look dangerous. Some debatable refereeing and a very weak liner in front of the Paddocks, my worry might be picking up a red card. Saunders has made himself s right nuisance out of possession and come close a couple of times. Need a second, could still go either way.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Well having to watch on my phone but enough now to confirm Saunders is not a natural finisher, neither the balance or the instinct. Quicker but weaker than Nevitt not a great swap

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well having to watch on my phone but enough now to confirm Saunders is not a natural finisher, neither the balance or the instinct. Quicker but weaker than Nevitt not a great swap
Saunders has been better than Hemmings so far.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Salford twice nearly score we managed to clear a couple of efforts off the line.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Strange subs though we needed extra energy

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Saunders has been better than Hemmings so far.
That wasn't my point. The team creates few good chances you need natural finishers, of which there appears to be one. Many games the few chance haven't fallen to hemmings.
On the plus side the left side is far more productive and the subs closed the game down. Opposition were good

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was an entertaining game. Perhaps Rovers rode our luck a little with the double clearance off the line, but after Tuesday we deserved it. Even though the stats favoured Salford.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought we deserved the win in the end, we played some good football at tines and despite some close shaves we held on for a welcome 3 points.
The key now is backing it up in the next few games and get on a winning run.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Deserved win on the balance of play I think neither keeper had much to do but we scored and they didn’t.

Very good first half with Bristow and hawkes linking up well with Hendry and a cracking move for the goal. Second half more scrappy.
They made a triple sub and went for it using the giant smith to win knock downs.
They had a 15 minute spell all over us but we got a bit of luck denying them with goal line clearances.

Credit to Micky he then changed it for us and went with a sort of 4-2-3-1 and we saw the game out fairly comfortably.

We still need to score more goals but after the two away defeats I would taken a 1-0 win all day long.

I’m sometimes critical of Morris but I agreed with the sponsors choice of him as MOM today although many strong performances.

Not wishing to finish on a critical note but I’m still not convinced by hewlet by to be fair he kept a clean sheet but will be tested more on Tuesday

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A vital and deserved victory for Rovers.

In the first half we were the more proactive and aggressive side and were deservedly ahead at the break. The quality of the final ball has been questioned recently, but today there were some absolutely superb deliveries into the box, one of which from Bristow resulted in the goal after an excellent move.

In the second half Salford improved and began to dominate possession, but we kept our shape well to generally keep them at arm's length while still looking dangerous on the counter attack. Credit to Micky for making the tactical change to 451 at the right time and allowing us to regain some control. I thought the substitutes all did well, with Mumbongo actually leading the line quite effectively as a lone striker.

The majority of our attacks this season have come down the right side of the team, but I thought Hawkes and Bristow were superb today, particularly in the first half. Morris and O'Connor and the two centre halves also had good games. It is clear that the new signings have given us something different, and Saunders' workrate and movement was particularly impressive today. Hendry was very composed on the ball again, and Turner-Cooke looked a box of tricks when he came on.

I did not strongly disagree with the sponsors' choice of Morris as man of the match, but I would have given it to Bristow for the assist for the goal and the incredible goalline clearance in the second half.

It is a pity the gap to the top seven remains four points, but we are back in the top half and the coming matches against Bradford and Mansfield represent a great opportunity.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not wishing to finish on a critical note but I’m still not convinced by hewlet by to be fair he kept a clean sheet but will be tested more on Tuesday
I agree about Hewelt. I thought he was too slow coming off his line for the Bristow / Davies incident, and the communication with the centre halves was lacking at times.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What today shows is whether the recent additions has pushed some of the existing players.
For ages we had hawkes, merrie, OConnor and Morris with no real competiton for the 4 midfield places.
Now we also have Hendry, Walker, chalmers and turner Cooke and it hopefully will keep the four who played well today on their toes.
Agree with RLC that turner Cooke looked lively and his corners were of real quality