• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (4) v county (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Notts County

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (4) v county (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, January 1, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, January 1, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There are not enough superlatives to describe the job Adkins is doing here. Another superb performance and a deserved victory against very awkward opposition.

There was a period of twenty minutes in the middle of the first half where we lost our way in midfield and allowed Notts too much easy possession on the edge of our box. However, other than that spell I thought we kept our shape brilliantly, pressed at the right times, and looked the more threatening side going forward. Notts were always going to be tricky opposition, with McGoldrick dropping into midfield to create an overload and their endless rotation of the ball, but Adkins got the tactics spot on again.

For all of their possession, in the second half I thought there was only one team in it.

Individually, I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Apter as man of the match. He was scintillating again and I am not convinced we would have won all four games over Christmas without him. Norris was very comfortable on the ball and the two centre halves did well in the period in the first half when we were under the cosh. I thought McAlear did OK, but we did really miss Walker's ability to protect the back four and keep the ball moving. Hopefully he is not out for too long.

It is highly impressive that despite being without key players we again put in a performance of such high quality.

Six points from the play offs with half of the season to play.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
As Marvin said.
'What's Going On?'

I cannot believe this!
Nowt to moan about, but give me time!

Incredible run, incredible game, that was someway to start the New Year.
I was wrong @Ian, you can be entertained and win!!!!!!!!!!
I will hopefully continue to be wrong and there is no way at all we will bother the play offs!!!

Happy New Year!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An excellent result. I felt that at the time Saunders put us back into the lead after some great work from Apter, Notts were starting to get on top again. From that point onwards, despite the missed penalty, we looked fairly comfortable and Connor had the bottle to take and convert the stoppage time penalty to secure the win.

There were a number of good performances today. Both full-backs, Morris and Saunders played well, though I wouldn't argue against Rob Apter for MoM in what looked like his Rovers swansong, given his role in our 2nd 3rd and 4th goals. It will be interesting seeing what plans Nigel has to replace him, a big gap to fill.

Can anyone throw any light on the Adkins red card. He looked to be booked for something just after half-time, then understandably upset when the referee, who was very inconsistent gave nothing for a blatant foul on Jolley, but a straight red...?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An excellent result. I felt that at the time Saunders put us back into the lead after some great work from Apter, Notts were starting to get on top again. From that point onwards, despite the missed penalty, we looked fairly comfortable and Connor had the bottle to take and convert the stoppage time penalty to secure the win.

There were a number of good performances today. Both full-backs, Morris and Saunders played well, though I wouldn't argue against Rob Apter for MoM in what looked like his Rovers swansong, given his role in our 2nd 3rd and 4th goals. It will be interesting seeing what plans Nigel has to replace him, a big gap to fill.

Can anyone throw any light on the Adkins red card. He looked to be booked for something just after half-time, then understandably upset when the referee, who was very inconsistent gave nothing for a blatant foul on Jolley, but a straight red...?
I think Notts Bostock was on a yellow from the first half and when he brought down Hendry for the penalty Nigel wanted a second yellow (rightly so), and perhaps overstepped the mark sometime after when Jolley didn’t get a free kick

Reactions: Boz

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
One thing that no one can complain about is Nigel is doing a fabulous job so far

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
And the brilliant kieron morris 4 in 6 games and fair play to saunders 2 in 3 if he can jist add more goals he would be lethal butvwe have scored 24 in last 10 games i love this and long mey it continue

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Why does Derek Jones ask the same doring questions all tje time in the interviews so annoying the man is just not original

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Nigel has got 1.92 points per game since taking over full time nit to bad