• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Forest Green (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Forest Green

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Forest Green (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, November 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve just remembered that FGR have Troy Deeney in their side. He’ll be relishing playing against our current out of form defence albeit we know what he’ll bring and he shouldn’t beat anyone for pace at the very least.

A couple of ev rovers loanees in the FGR squad. Keeper Luke Daniels and Jacob Maddox

To counterbalance the hyperbole, I fully expect us to be well clear of the bottom three or four by the end of the season, even without six points in the next two games, and I doubt I’ll consider it a miracle either. ;)

While Lewis’ injury may be a source of celebration for some, it deprives us of one defensive shield option (and, imho, Adkins’ preferred option, now that he’s had a good look at the squad). O’Connor hasn’t been deployed in that position all season, so I’ll be curious to see how we do go about protecting the defence tomorrow.

I’d take FGR’s headline grabbing 12 injuries with a pinch of salt and, if Deeney alone is fit, our defence will need to be switched on. Must admit to not knowing much about FGR’s style this season, but it’s notable that they’ve veered from Cooper’s bully boy football to Edwards’ eye catching football to Dunc’s useless football in recent years, so a bit of an identity crisis there maybe. Like us, they turned to an unknown rookie to develop an identity and, like it did with us, it‘s not gone very well. So far. There‘d be a certain irony if that changed tomorrow.

Still, three points is there for the taking. I expect us to get them, but would be more disappointed than surprised if it’s a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In terms of the Kamikaze tactics, we are conceding goals at an alarming rate and part of the problem is providing no protection to the back four. Early goals has certainly been a problem in recent weeks and we need to cut it out. Starting the game 1-0 down isn't ideal.

Player
Goodison
Not sure what Kamikaze tactics you are referring to? Against Stockport we sat ever so deep and clearly tried with 10 men behind the ball to scrap for the ball. We had minimal amounts of posession but were let off by Challinor deciding 2 goals was enough and that they would rest players for more important games. Against Stevenage the biggest issue was going for the win at the bitter end and losing posession. I very much doubt that Adkins was encoraging that given Murphy had already been carded for complaining that the game should have finished....
The issue is partly the defensive midfield being lacking as many have said but also the fact that the central defenders are simply not playing well with regular poor positioning and their lack of pace is being shown up week in week out. O'Connor in front of them might help as many have suggested but in reality it is lack of confidence allied with poor performances that is the big issue IMO. I mean scoring two good goals (plus a penalty) against a promotion chasing L1 side away from home yet losing tells us all we need to know.
As to the game I am hopeful - it definitely is a must win game especially with them having so many out injured we can't expect they will stay so low down when they get back close to a full squad. Going for a 3-1 win with Norris and Dennis starting alongside each other.
The entire set up whole season has been kamikaze. No defensive midfielder, Walker doesn’t count - he can barely last 60 mins if lucky. Leaving the back 4 exposed every week so need a minimum of 2 goals for a win, or 5 in the case of last week. I could go on but life is too short!

At no point this season have they attempted to set up pragmatically, to grind out a win or point - as Mellon did most of last season.

Think a lot of this dates back to Palios dictating a high line summer of 2022.

Hopefully Adkins will sort it, but 6 defeats in a row is not promising to say the least.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
This has got draw all over it!
Two teams that have struggled for form and both lie in that zone of potential relegation probables.

It won't be pretty, because of the importance of the result.

A must win for NA. It's not about performance, it's the result that matters.

We have to stop the rot.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Forest Green apparently have up to 12 senior players possibly missing for Saturday
I saw FG a few weeks back at Accrington when they were beaten 2-1. In truth Accrington battered them. Which I know frustrated their coaching staff greatly.
So I'll go 3-1 home win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure what Kamikaze tactics you are referring to? Against Stockport we sat ever so deep and clearly tried with 10 men behind the ball to scrap for the ball. We had minimal amounts of posession but were let off by Challinor deciding 2 goals was enough and that they would rest players for more important games. Against Stevenage the biggest issue was going for the win at the bitter end and losing posession. I very much doubt that Adkins was encoraging that given Murphy had already been carded for complaining that the game should have finished....

The entire set up whole season has been kamikaze. No defensive midfielder, Walker doesn’t count - he can barely last 60 mins if lucky. Leaving the back 4 exposed every week so need a minimum of 2 goals for a win, or 5 in the case of last week. I could go on but life is too short!

At no point this season have they attempted to set up pragmatically, to grind out a win or point - as Mellon did most of last season.

Think a lot of this dates back to Palios dictating a high line summer of 2022.

Hopefully Adkins will sort it, but 6 defeats in a row is not promising to say the least.
Yes and to be fair to Micky, he forewarned rovers fans when the goals goals goals comments were made and the whole reason for telling Peter Clarke he would play less was the whole change in philosophy of playing higher up the pitch bringing more attacking and attractive football.

Look how that’s worked out…… I’ve no doubt Palios loves the club but I hold him to blame for our current position and if we go down it’ll be on him for:
1. Changing to a system/strategy that didn’t suit a proven winner at this level in micky.
2. Appointing Dawes which was ridculous
3. Giving a two and a half year contract to Nigel who had been at the club all season and in charge for 5 defeats in a row before his contract (Now 6 in a row).

Obviously I hope 3. above doesn’t turn out to be a bad decision if Nigel keeps us up but I’m not overly convinced that will happen given what we’ve seen so far.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes and to be fair to Micky, he forewarned rovers fans when the goals goals goals comments were made and the whole reason for telling Peter Clarke he would play less was the whole change in philosophy of playing higher up the pitch bringing more attacking and attractive football.

Look how that’s worked out…… I’ve no doubt Palios loves the club but I hold him to blame for our current position and if we go down it’ll be on him for:
1. Changing to a system/strategy that didn’t suit a proven winner at this level in micky.
2. Appointing Dawes which was ridculous
3. Giving a two and a half year contract to Nigel who had been at the club all season and in charge for 5 defeats in a row before his contract (Now 6 in a row).

Obviously I hope 3. above doesn’t turn out to be a bad decision if Nigel keeps us up but I’m not overly convinced that will happen given what we’ve seen so far.
Completely agree. The current situation was totally avoidable.

And before we get the predictable responses regarding Mellon's departure, even if he had no desire to stay beyond last season, if we had made a sensible appointment last March we could be comfortably sitting in mid table now. As it was, we got rid of Mellon with no clear plan for the succession, which was irresponsible.

In any case, if Palios had been prepared to meet Mellon half way and give him more autonomy over tactics and style of play, I think he would have been happy to stay. His position effectively became untenable because of Palios' constant interference on the football side.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes Micky dearly loves the club and had a proven and successful way of gaining success at league two level. That includes what most fans know I.e. that you have to have experience and be able to grind out wins etc. Not always pretty, but effective.

We are so easy to score against these days it’s ridiculous.

As for tomorrow, both us and FGR have conceded the most goals so far this season (9), from set pieces. Anyone who likes a bet get something on us to concede from a corner in the first 20 minutes :-(

Could've sworn attacking football is what our “brilliant” fans were clamouring for too. Maybe the apology-demanders amongst them should now be apologising to Palios and Mellon for that! :D

Clarke is irrelevant, his career trajectory within months of leaving us fully vindicated our stance with regards to his contract negotiations. Not that his leadership has ever been adequately replaced, mind.

Of course the wider point about any relegation being on the owner is correct. I’d be astonished if it came to that. But, if it does, to suggest the notion of trying to embed a more attractive style of football is to blame is fanciful; rather, it’s the execution of that transition that’s been poor, so far - and the baby of necessary pragmatism got thrown out with the bath water of dullness.

So, to the three underling factors you cite, I’d say Mellon’s dismissal was debatable but understandable, Dawes was a poor appointment swiftly addressed, and the effectiveness of how that was addressed (the appointment of Adkins) can’t be rationally judged until much nearer the end of the season.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Anyone who likes a bet get something on us to concede from a corner in the first 20 minutes :-(
It's already on :lol: :laugh:
Tried to put a bet on, but the book is already closed.
laugh.png

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If we lose tomorrow it could turn nasty and toxic at the ground tomorrow there's only so much the fans will take so for gods sake let us hope for a win even if darn ugly

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Adkins didn't mention Dennis at all in his pre-match interview, so I'd be very surprised if it's a Norris Dennis pairing up top.
I don't share O4APOs confidence that we'll definitely be out of trouble by the end of the season, but if we are going to be, need to start picking up some points now. Tomorrow would be a good time to start.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Sorry to say but I think Dennis will be gone in January. He just not been given a chance and can't see him getting a go in his favourite position. And that could be our down fall we won't get a good striker in jan unless they pay stupid money abd they have non to spend

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree that it's not worked out for Dennis and with Norris back in the side, he'll be bench warming even longer now.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Assuming we don’t start suddenly playing to his strengths, the signing of Dennis is a perfect case study of everything that is wrong with our recruitment - completely disjointed between recruitment and decisions made on the pitch.
A lot of which stems from the Chairman and his 'advisor' driving recruitment decisions, rather than the manager and coaching staff. Not that I would have wanted Dawes driving recruitment of course.......

We sign players who are 'names' on paper but who the manager either does not want or does not know how to use.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Hope you all have something to cheer abt today guy's as normal i won't be in attendance do to the huge showcase function of the year tonight and with the way the team are playing i will be saving my money