• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Forest Green (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Forest Green

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Forest Green (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, November 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'll start this early and it can be updated as the week goes on. In a relatively big fixture for both sides struggling at the bottom of the table. FGR have a slight advantage being three points ahead of Rovers with a game in hand. Rovers will have home advantage on their side and after the encouraging display against Stevenage, Rovers supporters will be hoping for a big three points.

Too early for team news but I can't see Adkins making many changes from Saturday. Norris will no doubt lead the line again after a successful comeback on Saturday and has a slight knock to the stomach but should be fine for Saturday. Apter continues to impress since his inclusion in the side and I would imagine the same back four. Midfield could see Merrie back in place of the injured Lewis.

Rovers really need the three points here to stop the gap becoming bigger at the bottom. A win for FGR would not make good reading. I think we need to get as many into PP as possible and really get behind the lads. If we can win this it will set us up nicely for another big game against Sutton.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We really need to win this game, anything less and even at this stage of the season we will be facing a huge task to stay up.

I'm not confident but think we can nick it 2 1.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This is a must win. Not just for three points but confidence etc as the team are badly in need of a boost.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
A must win. A six pointer. A really big game!

Just hoping the lads and the manager is not relying on luck.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
We will win 3-0 thats my positive and our season will be off and running. Come on lads its the festive season time to cheer us up

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
If we stick with the 442 which i presume it was. I would hope Hendry would be trusted alongside Walker and Morris comes in front of Pike. Not only have the fullbacks been an issue we have gelled next to nothing on the flank combinations. Merrie is just not up to it, not involved enough. Interesting to see the other Norris given an outing.
You'd hope Dennis could make at least some game time alongside Norris. The latter if he had appeared last mid-winter could easily have sparked Hemmings up and the play offs may have been on. Mellon big signing in Saunders probably did for him in MP's mind.
On a balance of probability, I see fortunes flipping and we'll batter someone soon.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Forest Green apparently have up to 12 senior players possibly missing for Saturday

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Forest Green apparently have up to 12 senior players possibly missing for Saturday
A positive in the short term, but a worry as in the longer term you would expect their form to pick up significantly when those players return.

By contrast, we have missed Norris but I don't think we have been unduly affected by injuries.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A positive in the short term, but a worry as in the longer term you would expect their form to pick up significantly when those players return.

By contrast, we have missed Norris but I don't think we have been unduly affected by injuries.
Yes I agree and if it is all down to Norris being absent then that’s a criticism of the recruitment to be so reliant on one striker (like we were with Vaughan of course).

Although we can’t blame our shambolic defending on that!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’d love to see Dennis and Norris up front as a two on Saturday. One right footed big fella and a left footed goal poacher. It could work.
Hawkes back in on the left and apter on the right.
Something like Walker if fit and Jennings in midfield.

But does that give the back four which has been poor enough protection? Or do they even need it against a poor FGR side. Some big decisions for Nigel as if we lose then we’re in big trouble

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have just watched the pre-match interview with Adkins, and it really was pointless because of the standard of the questioning from the club employee. I don't know why the club don't release the BBC Merseyside interview instead.

No emphasis placed on the particular significance of the game, let alone issues such as the defensive record and the shape of the team.

I did glean that Lewis is out for several weeks with a hamstring injury.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, a completely scripted and mundane intrerview giving the supporters nothing new. Mostly just going over old ground and of course the old classic, 'we just want to win the next game'. Gets my goat.

Onto a positive however as some people think we are always looking toward the negatives, Paul Lewis has a hamstring injury and is out for several weeks. :thumbsup:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
They really are poor interviews. Do they not think the paying fans want to hear about certain aspects?

We are at risk of getting cut adrift if results don’t improve before January and if they don’t, who is going to want to join us?

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
We will lose then we alwasys seem to when a team has loads missing. Also just over 4000 tickets sold wow how it must be hurting the club

Player
Goodison
We’re in-effect in a 3 or 4 team mini-league for the rest of the season, bar a miraculous recovery. 6 points is a must from the next 2 games.

Given he’s lost 6 in a row, maybe Adkins will try something different. I’d start with O’Connor and Hendry in the middle and go from there. Suspect we will see the continued kamikaze tactics however.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Not sure what Kamikaze tactics you are referring to? Against Stockport we sat ever so deep and clearly tried with 10 men behind the ball to scrap for the ball. We had minimal amounts of posession but were let off by Challinor deciding 2 goals was enough and that they would rest players for more important games. Against Stevenage the biggest issue was going for the win at the bitter end and losing posession. I very much doubt that Adkins was encoraging that given Murphy had already been carded for complaining that the game should have finished....
The issue is partly the defensive midfield being lacking as many have said but also the fact that the central defenders are simply not playing well with regular poor positioning and their lack of pace is being shown up week in week out. O'Connor in front of them might help as many have suggested but in reality it is lack of confidence allied with poor performances that is the big issue IMO. I mean scoring two good goals (plus a penalty) against a promotion chasing L1 side away from home yet losing tells us all we need to know.
As to the game I am hopeful - it definitely is a must win game especially with them having so many out injured we can't expect they will stay so low down when they get back close to a full squad. Going for a 3-1 win with Norris and Dennis starting alongside each other.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We’re in-effect in a 3 or 4 team mini-league for the rest of the season, bar a miraculous recovery. 6 points is a must from the next 2 games.

Given he’s lost 6 in a row, maybe Adkins will try something different. I’d start with O’Connor and Hendry in the middle and go from there. Suspect we will see the continued kamikaze tactics however.
Yes 6 defeats in a row and Nigel is enjoying the security of a freshly signed two and a half year contract….most managers would be sacked after 6 successive defeats!!

I’d like a 4-4-2 and Hendry and LOC could be a good shout. You could have Apter on the right and Jennings coming in from the left. Norris/Dennis up top. It would mean Pike at right back and if leake not fit then bring wood back in although he’s looked dodgy. Maybe play Turnbull at LB and bring Yarney in.

As it is it’ll probably be more of the Same….which isn’t working in recent results, but could do against a poor FGR side, as long as we don’t concede early…