• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Swindon (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Swindon

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Swindon (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, December 23, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 23, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another deserved victory for Rovers from a losing position.

I thought we actually played pretty well in the first half and the scoreline reflected the quality of the strikers on the pitch. We got our tactics spot on and pressed Swindon when they tried to play out from the back, and the visitors were all at sea defensively in the first twenty minutes. However, we were not clinical enough around the eighteen yard box, whereas Swindon had one breakaway which resulted in a brilliant finish from Kemp, who was by far their best player. Having scored the goal Swindon sat deep, which meant the one attribute Saunders has - pace - was negated and he offered nothing else in all honesty. We huffed and puffed for the remainder of the half, and Swindon continued to look threatening on the counter attack.

I thought we started the second half sluggishly. However, once we found our rhythm we dominated, and Adkins made a good tactical switch by taking off the ineffective Saunders, replacing him with Hawkes and moving Apter centrally. Our equaliser resulted from shocking Swindon defending, a feature of the afternoon, and from that point onwards I felt confident we would win the game.

I disagree with Boz about Walker and Morris, who I thought were excellent throughout, with both full backs also having very good games.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We now have the sixth best home record in the division.

Interesting at the end when Hendry nearly caused a melee celebrating in the face of Kemp at full time. Nice to see some passion.
Swindon do really have goals as I’d forgotten they had Charlie Austin as well as Kemp and the leagues top scorer Young. But defensively they couldn’t cope with our press.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel confirms post match that Dennis is out for a month with a hamstring issue. Beloguan has a knee injury and he sounded positive about apter who wants to stay with us.
Definitely need another striker in during January as Nigel also said Jolley needs to play football suggesting me may go elsewhere

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Nigel has said that Dennis has a hamstring injury and will be out for a month, Belehouan also out injured

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I love the fact Nigel adkins says we need to win away. Think he is playing poker about January think we will see a fair few moving on. But goid to hear its players who will be first team ready not squad players they want

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I disagree with Boz about Walker and Morris, who I thought were excellent throughout, with both full backs also having very good games.
What features of their game today made you describe Morris and Walker as excellent?

Tom Davies definitely in that category for me in this game, but there were a few who weren’t at their best v Swindon in my view.

Specifically, Morris didn’t seem to get in the game as much as usual in the first half. When in possession, he didn’t make the best use of the ball. Kieron seemed to improve and become more direct in the second half.

Walker had a very good game a couple of weeks ago, controlling midfield and spraying the ball across the park. He wasn’t at the same level today in terms of distribution. My concern was that there were a few occasions when he just let the opponent go past him in central midfield, no challenge or tracking back. After the reports of his showing at Walsall suggested a fairly subdued performance, this game also seemed one where Brad wasn’t imposing his authority on the game.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
What features of their game today made you describe Morris and Walker as excellent?

Tom Davies definitely in that category for me in this game, but there were a few who weren’t at their best v Swindon in my view.

Specifically, Morris didn’t seem to get in the game as much as usual in the first half. When in possession, he didn’t make the best use of the ball. Kieron seemed to improve and become more direct in the second half.

Walker had a very good game a couple of weeks ago, controlling midfield and spraying the ball across the park. He wasn’t at the same level today in terms of distribution. My concern was that there were a few occasions when he just let the opponent go past him in central midfield, no challenge or tracking back. After the reports of his showing at Walsall suggested a fairly subdued performance, this game also seemed one where Brad wasn’t imposing his authority on the game.
I pretty much agree with that. I didn't think that Morris or Walker were great today but we did enough.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought their ball retention was very good. They did not do anything spectacular but kept things ticking over, plus Morris was on hand to score the equaliser.

Walker has probably been our best player since regaining full fitness.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Meant to add that I agree with RLC that both full-backs were good yesterday. O’Connor’s saving tackle in the first half at 0-1 was probably one of the key acts in securing the win.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Finally got to watch the full replay and yes as others said a very decent performance with confidence now coursing through the team. I read that is was the first time since 2005 when we have come from behind to win in consecutive home games!
That said rewinding in slow motion how they weren't given a penalty when it hit O'Connor's hand is beyond me. One of the worst decisions I have seen in a long time but we take it and move on with the table looking far more healthy.
Thought all did well today - neither Hendry or Walker as others have said are flashy players but now Walker is finaly match fit they are dominating the midfield and we are creating far more as a result. Long may it continue and if we can keep Apter so much the better as he is to my mind too good for this level.