• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Swindon (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Swindon

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Swindon (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, December 23, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 23, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The last Rovers game before Xmas sees us back on home soil against The Robins on Saturday. Swindon are currently mid table and looking steady having won eight and lost eight with a zero goal difference. These are the games we have to be winning to take us away from the danger zone. Our home form is good and I see no reason why we can't win this one. Turnbull should be back from his suspension, not sure if Davies is still out but at least we should be able to field a decent team. What a nice present three points would make!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On the face of it we should win this. We’ve won our last 3 home games whereas Swindon have lost their last two league games 4-0 and 3-0. Ex Newport and Walsall manager Mike Flynn hasn’t convinced the robins fans yet that he can repeat their last season top 7 finish Under Ben garner

As Ian says JT will return and if Davies isn’t fit then Yarney will start on the right side. Apart from that I can’t see any changes although some may argue Dennis could be rotated for say Jolley but I‘d give Kristian another start.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
On the face of it we should win this. We’ve won our last 3 home games whereas Swindon have lost their last two league games 4-0 and 3-0. Ex Newport and Walsall manager Mike Flynn hasn’t convinced the robins fans yet that he can repeat their last season top 7 finish Under Ben garner

As Ian says JT will return and if Davies isn’t fit then Yarney will start on the right side. Apart from that I can’t see any changes although some may argue Dennis could be rotated for say Jolley but I‘d give Kristian another start.
Can't see that Saunders is the only forward being given any appreciable time as a sub. Pretty sure he will persevere. But with all these games he is going to have to make substantial subs in the front six, which he has clearly been avoiding.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's a bit odd that Taylor is not getting game time, but maybe Adkins thinks the time is not right for him.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Dennis and Apter can't do 90 mins in their role. I'd suggest Walker, Jennings and Morris won't do every 90 over Xmas. Lewis will join McAlear, Saunders and Hawkes coming on. Taylor puzzles me as does the full back switches.
Hughes has been dispatched again albeit Curzon are a lot higher up than I realised in Conf N, maybe Merrie comes back in.
Think we may get stretched as the games go on

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Despite the weekend's setback, we are still making progress. Not only are we playing better and getting more points than previously but our rivals are still in poor form and the gap below us is widening. We are no longer playing "must win" games.

However, a couple of things need to happen before I will be fully confident that we can escape the drop. Firstly, we have to start picking up points regularly away from home. If we rely solely on our home form, we will continue to struggle. I will relax a bit more when we get our first away win. It is a shame we didn't manage it last Saturday, but our next game will be a test of the second thing - how resilient we are. After a decent unbeaten run, can we bounce back from a defeat or has the bubble burst?

I am pretty confident we can make further progress. The next three games are all winnable. I am looking for a return of at least six points, including that elusive first away win.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hopefully we can continue our recent good home form with another win 2 1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
BBTC touches on it, but I feel that it's very important that we bounce back from the disappointment at Walsall quickly. I don't want to be in the position of seeing how fast we can recover from 2 consecutive defeats!

Swindon undergoing some off-field turmoil at present and their form is fairly erratic, but on their day they can be a handful and manager Mike Flynn had some decent results against us with Newport. No foregone conclusions here.

In terms of team selection, Turnbull back in is going to bolster the defence. I would definitely stick with Dennis for the home games. Unless there are other injuries, don't think there will be many changes, although it sounded like Walker had a very quiet game last weekend, so the central midfield may see some adjustment..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As poor as Swindon’s form is they have 2 players who have 26 league goals between them - pretty impressive achievement by mid December.
Jake Young has 16 and Dan Kemp has 10 so we’ll have to defend well

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If Dennis could start scoring would be good we need him to start chipping in with a few that will help to make us all relax a little 2-0 home for mw Dennis getting both

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haven’t caught any of the pre-match stuff, any news on Tom Davies? Turnbull’s return should be a boost, but don’t see us keeping a clean sheet so will need our attacking players to up their game from
Walsall.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Neil Danns was asked about injury problems and did not mention Davies, so I presume he is fit to play.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Delighted to be reunited with my son for this one, who’s made the long trip home from Southampton last night (as a matter of fact, his mum drove down to pick him up!). Hoping he’ll be a lucky charm for his first game of the season (possibly his only game of the season). 3 points would be huge today in relation to increasing the gap from FGR and the potential to move up four places if we score a few. Could we be sitting comfortably come the end of the festive glut of fixtures; here’s hoping and what a turn around that would be!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Gone for a draw, unless Davies is back, we need a settled back four. As has been said, we are liable to concede, and we need our forwards or anyone to chip with at least a couple of goals today, Swindle a bit of a bogey team, so a win would be fab pre Christmas.
Overall over Christmas and New year, I am looking at maybe seven points from the next five games, any more than two points a game, would be far too optimistic.
May I wish everyone a merry Christmas and especially @Ian for this great forum.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Neil Danns was asked about injury problems and did not mention Davies, so I presume he is fit to play.
Let's hope so RLC but then he didn't mention Leake who is apparently now out with his other hamstring or those who are still in light training who aren't fit..
As to the game this is a biggie in my book. Getting back to winning ways after a game we should have got at least something from is important at the start of a busy 10 days.
Think we can do the business provided as you said Davies is back. Going to go for a 2-1 win with Dennis scoring one...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Gone for a draw, unless Davies is back, we need a settled back four. As has been said, we are liable to concede, and we need our forwards or anyone to chip with at least a couple of goals today, Swindle a bit of a bogey team, so a win would be fab pre Christmas.
Overall over Christmas and New year, I am looking at maybe seven points from the next five games, any more than two points a game, would be far too optimistic.
May I wish everyone a merry Christmas and especially @Ian for this great forum.
I’d agree with your target figure. The next 3 are hard to call but then home against Notts County and away to Barrow are tough. As it looks likely I’ll be going to Barrow make that even toughet:(

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Could do with Davies and Turnbull fit and on form today as Swindon have a lot of goals in them

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Davies and JT return.

Saunders in for Dennis who isn’t in the squad. Sam Taylor and Jolley on the bench.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Presumably Dennis ill or injured. I’m guessing James Norris getting bench time might be to ensure Red Scouse let us keep him for the full loan term, which given possible left-back options going forward is understandable. Good to see Sam Taylor on the bench and hopefully get some match time on his 19th birthday

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
All huff and puff from rovers and they have one half chance and score