• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Saddlers (3)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Walsall

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Saddlers (3)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 6, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 6, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nigel typically positive post match and to be fair reminding me we did hit the frame of the goal a few times.
Without naming Hawkes he’s very critical of him not running back for their first and also of McGee for their second.
Not heard the interview yet but would be very disappointed in Nigel singling out McGee for criticism as he appeared to keep us in the game with some good saves in the first half.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He made a great save with his legs in the first half when it was 0-0 but he seemed to freeze in the second half. Didn't move for their second and third.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Aldo
He made a great save with his legs in the first half when it was 0-0 but he seemed to freeze in the second half. Didn't move for their second and third.
the second reminded me of those european goalies in the 70's that didn't bother diving if it was going in the corner

Reactions: Ian
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
If and it's a big if in teamwork.
Someone not pulling his weight or doing what the game plan calls for.
Then it is up to the team manager, who sets the game plan, picks the players, shape, tactics etc in training to prepare for the game. And if, the p!an is not working. It is the responsibility of the manager to change either the plan or the player(s)
Don't like, players who don't do the work or a person who criticises those players when the opposition out thinks our tactics.
There are eleven out there, a team.
As a goalkeeper saying goes.......
There are ten in front of the keeper to prevent a goal.
Keepers and Nigel should know should never be criticised for a poor game because as professional footballers, the team should protect him.
Don't like excuses in football, things do happen and regardless of plans, they will happen. Freak goals happen.
Don't like getting beat, especially like that today.
Glad it's nearly over.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have now seen the highlights and listened to Nigel’s interview.
While there clearly were failings in Hawkes tracking back for the equaliser, Belehouan should be doing better when the ball is in our box.
The commentary suggested that the second goal was wind-assisted and having watched it there seems some merit in that view. McGee seems to think it’s going wide but it drifts back in. Error of judgement perhaps, but a bit of a freak too imo.
The third goal was well-struck but McGee doesn’t make a move towards it, wrong-footed?
To be fair to Nigel he does give credit to Luke for both his saves in this game and over the season. I did find some of his remarks irksome as he didn’t seem to be trying new things unless you include McAlear at right-back today. That didn’t work.
It didn’t sound like Luke Norris was involved very much at all today, he’s been notching up the minutes but doesn’t seem to be having much impact. It was suggested elsewhere that Davies was playing while not fully fit and for the size of the squad it’s poor that we only have 5 including Walker capable of playing in central defence.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Have to say I am nervous. Adkins talks a good game but it is all talk and bulls*"t bingo buzz words. He again mentions Saunders but all he does is run around. Relying on him worries me. Taylor is so much more clever but likely will/ should push for a move if he has sense based on how he has been sidelined. Norris J never a LB but could do a job in midfield. Norris L should be fit by now but looks disinterested. McAlear no not for me. CJ being pushed too far. Some seem to think all will be well when Adkins gets his picks over the Summer but if he is planning based on what he is doing now minus Apter of course I don't expect much next season either which scares me if our budget is as bad as we expect.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Have to say I am nervous. Adkins talks a good game but it is all talk and bulls*"t bingo buzz words. He again mentions Saunders but all he does is run around. Relying on him worries me. Taylor is so much more clever but likely will/ should push for a move if he has sense based on how he has been sidelined. Norris J never a LB but could do a job in midfield. Norris L should be fit by now but looks disinterested. McAlear no not for me. CJ being pushed too far. Some seem to think all will be well when Adkins gets his picks over the Summer but if he is planning based on what he is doing now minus Apter of course I don't expect much next season either which scares me if our budget is as bad as we expect.
As ever it will be down to good recruitment but he does seem to name drop the same players regularly likd Connor J and Saunders. A bit over the top sometimes if you ask me.

The problem is if this season ends on a terrible run then despite new players it could easily carry on into early next season. As you suggest where on earth would we have been without Apter and without him next season could be difficult

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think it is realistic to expect Norris to be match fit this season. Perhaps he will never get there, having had a couple of serious injuries at the age of thirty, but if he does recover I think it will be next year.

I think Adkins is as good a manager as we can hope for in our current circumstances, but I too am nervous about next season. The recruitment will have to improve massively if we are to be competitive.

I hope there is no substance to the rumours that Adkins is keen on keeping the likes of McAlear.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As ever it will be down to good recruitment but he does seem to name drop the same players regularly likd Connor J and Saunders. A bit over the top sometimes if you ask me.

The problem is if this season ends on a terrible run then despite new players it could easily carry on into early next season. As you suggest where on earth would we have been without Apter and without him next season could be difficult
There seems a real danger of this happening at present. I think for the remaining games, unless he's going to give some of the untried fringe players match time, then Nigel should be picking the best team of those available, even if some of them he's already decided not to keep. Rather than putting McAlear at right-back today, if O'Connor needing replacing use an actual right-back in Pike. He has his limitations but better than McAlear in that role. I think Merrie would do a better job of protecting the back four than McAlear, or if O'Connor was taken off for tactical reasons,, why not move him into midfield etc.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What are people expectations for next season? We say this every year and then we wait for the summer signings but realistically on our budget, we are probably looking at mid table again. I don't see anything drastic happening with this team until there is some serious money to spend.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think it is realistic to expect Norris to be match fit this season. Perhaps he will never get there, having had a couple of serious injuries at the age of thirty, but if he does recover I think it will be next year.

I think Adkins is as good a manager as we can hope for in our current circumstances, but I too am nervous about next season. The recruitment will have to improve massively if we are to be competitive.

I hope there is no substance to the rumours that Adkins is keen on keeping the likes of McAlear.
I do wonder if Nigel's persistence in playing Norris the last few games is because a decision hasn't been made about a new contract for Luke and he's being given a further opportunity to prove himself. If a new deal is to be offered, you'd expect L Norris' game-time to be more restricted with an eye to next season.

Think your hopes might be dashed re McAlear. The fact that Nigel is giving him so much playing time and even being tried out of position, suggests to me that he is getting a deal and unless others who are interested better it, Reece will be back next year.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What are people expectations for next season? We say this every year and then we wait for the summer signings but realistically on our budget, we are probably looking at mid table again. I don't see anything drastic happening with this team until there is some serious money to spend.
On Mark Palios' comments, a mid-table budget is what to expect. That doesn't necessarily mean a mid-table placing, looking at Barrow, Crewe and Crawley who are doing better than their perceived budgets or Colchester, who are below par for theirs.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Great entertainment; partially due to the windy conditions. Despite the poor start we grew into the game and, perhaps unreservedly, took the lead. Thereafter it was chaotic. We missed 2 clear cut chances, hit the woodwork 3 times and suffered a freak goal against us. It could have been a 6-2 victory, a 6-1 loss or anything in between. This is accepting, and agreeing with, the points that Balehouan Isn't at this level, McAlear is a body in midfield at best and certainty isn't a right back, Jennings and Luke Norris are knackered and Hawkes looked disinterested. I agree that Dennis should have been given a start today and don't really understand why we aren't looking at a Plan B for our forward line. To me he looks like a clever player who we have decided to write off prematurely. Looking forward to dragging family up to the last game of the season much more than the last home match!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Some decent recruitment, which if we can do then there is no reason we can't do better than the last couple of seasons. As Boz said the likes of Crewe can challenge for promotion so why can't we.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As has been said, there are a handful of clubs who are at the top of the table because they can simply outspend the rest. However, the majority of play off contenders are up there because they have made better decisions than the mid table and lower half clubs, not because of huge spending.

Our decision making needs to improve.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
As has been said, there are a handful of clubs who are at the top of the table because they can simply outspend the rest. However, the majority of play off contenders are up there because they have made better decisions than the mid table and lower half clubs, not because of huge spending.

Our decision making needs to improve.
Absolutely. Better decisions and a manager who can a team based on better recruitment punching above their weight.
I think Nigel is the man to do it. For now, and having embedded a way to play without Luke Norris (best striker on our books), he now has the problem of trying to find a strategy to play with Luke in the side. Coupled with injuries and some of the behind the scenes contract stuff, I'm sure some of the selections and substitutions are affected. Why and how? - I don't know.
On a separate not the two young loanee CBs at Accringtn yesterday looked good and were all over Nevitt....who looked cheesed off.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Until mark and his mate the football agent leave the team alone then nothing will change

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Hi all still on holiday will comment on a shi# week for rovers so glad we where away not watching this crap we pay good money for what. Clear the decks Nigel and see what next year we can only get better or can we

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Until mark and his mate the football agent leave the team alone then nothing will change
Not sure there is any evidence Mark has ever interfered with the team. There seems evidence someone else was put in charge of recruiting, Vaughan at one point, but who has the final say is unknown. I'd guess Nigel would have a complete veto he is TD still? Micky had a weak suit in recruitment potentially, borne out by his Brabin appointment.
No idea what Nigel's record in this regard is. Coaching, management and recruitment can be very different beasts