• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Saddlers (3)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Walsall

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Saddlers (3)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 6, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 6, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Our penultimate home game of the season sees the visit of play off chasing Walsall. The saddlers are 3 points off 7th and one of several teams vying for an extension to their season.

They’ve been in overall good form over the last few months and had a last minute winner on Monday versus Salford to keep them in the mix. The scorer was Mo Faal who had a loan spell at Donny earlier this season and was a handful I recall. They also have other goalscorers with Danny Johnson, Jamille Matt and Josh Gordon in the squad.

At this stage of the season I’d like possible options for next season to be given more game time. Sam Taylor, Hawkes and Dennis to name a few although I suspect we’ll try and offload the latter. Unless Walker is fit however I’m expecting the same 11 as Monday with James Norris again at LB and McAlear alongside Hendry. Up top Luke Norris has looked off the pace in the last couple of games plus I’m not sure it works with him and Connor as a front two so perhaps Saunders will start. Some rumours that Turnbull has damaged his shoulder/arm so he may miss out meaning a start for Yarney

Walsalls away record is pretty poor so I’m hoping we can pick up a win and not extend our winless run to four games. It was easy for the players to be up for the Wrexham game, but we don’t want our season fizzling out and ending on a low.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think we will have a few missing for this game and with nothing to play for I see a narrow defeat 1 2.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I have to agree with bigmart.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Think we will have a few missing for this game and with nothing to play for I see a narrow defeat 1 2.
Yes potentially Walker Turnbull Yarney and Morris all missing. Logically we should lose this as we have nothing to play for whilst they do but this being Tranmere we will probably turn in a vintage display
I with my glass half empty head on expect a defeat however.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hate voting against the team and so to justify my decision, I've been thinking back to the game on Saturday against Colchester and I just don't think the quality is there at the moment. Apter whilst not poor by any means hasn't been wonderful mainly due to his decision making. Norris to me is still trying to recover from the injuries and it's too late to really make any mark on the season now. We suffer in midfield when Walker doesn't play and so for these reasons alone, I think we'll struggle to beat a team that will be desperate for three points to try and secure a playoff spot even though their recent form has been patchy. See, I feel marginally better now!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Despite the likely absentees, I think this is a hard game to call. Saddlers fans have not been totally convinced by their team
and manager, despite still having a fair shot at making the play-offs. so maybe Adkins and the lads can put them off track.

Agree with Sparky about their attacking threat, think Faal gave us a hard time when playing for Donny at PP and Matt got the winner in the reverse fixture. Being without Turnbull and potentially calling on Belehouan for a rare outing will make for a challenging afternoon. At the other end of the pitch we did create a decent number of chances v Colchester with Robbie Apter involved in the best of those. Morris had a good game and will be a significant absentee. I’d like to see Norris rested and us trying something different for this one.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

To give Nigel his due, he interviews very well. He comes through with enthusiasm, even when the team has just lost. It’s not surprising he is popular with the fans, as he’s one of us. We haven’t had a manager who speaks so eloquently for quite a while - maybe since Kingy. Unlike most managers at this level, he doesn’t use many clichés. He’s the type you’d love to spend the evening in a pub with talking football. Obviously, I hope he turns our fortunes around and I am looking forward to next season.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Gonna miss this one as I'll be at Accrington supporting a friend in Stanley's dug out.
However I think there could be quite a shake up in personnel. If Taylor plays, I hope it's as a striker and see how the combo with Norris L would work.
In terms of James Norris, I do think he's a clever technical player, but only an emergency LB at best. I think he could do a decent job in centre midfield or left midfield.
Could be high scoring game. Say 3-2 home win. Yarney, Apter and Norris L.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Strong winds today so hopefully we can use our excellent pitch and keep it on the deck

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nigel seemed quite coy on the injuries, wonder if this means more absentees than we expected.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That’s the impression I got Boz.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Gonna miss this one as I'll be at Accrington supporting a friend in Stanley's dug out.
However I think there could be quite a shake up in personnel. If Taylor plays, I hope it's as a striker and see how the combo with Norris L would work.
In terms of James Norris, I do think he's a clever technical player, but only an emergency LB at best. I think he could do a decent job in centre midfield or left midfield.
Could be high scoring game. Say 3-2 home win. Yarney, Apter and Norris L.
Is a certain Ian Liversage still a physio at Accrington?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hawkes in for Morris and Beloguan alongside Davies.

Still Norris and Jennings up front which I’m far from convinced of. Surprised Nigel isn’t giving Taylor some minutes

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’d agree with Sparky and surely Jennings and Hendry need a bit of a break. Would have preferred a Taylor start up front.

Have to hope that Davies and Belehouan can last the ninety as Rovers very short on central defensive cover.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would have liked to have seen Dennis given more time than the usual 20 mins he sometimes gets. I'd have left Norris on the bench for a breather. Hopefully he'll make some subs second half to mix it up a bit. Now is the time to experiment now the season is dead.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Belohuan did ok in the reverse fixture but switched off when big Matt scored the winner and he’s up against him again today