• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Oldham 2

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
in all the time i have been watchintg tranmere ,the fans have hated with a vengence tall target men !
dadi ,malkin,ricketts ,gareth taylot/howarth why because there too slow !
they will be slower because there bigger !
tranmere fans don,t get that !
they loved the bones of greenare,muir,aldo (ok leave him out of this argument) etc
your all wrong !
we need a target slow man !
and the man ,s first name begins with baz .

also he dies his hair every week a different colour surely that makes if difficult for the opersition ?:lol:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think Rovers fans give a damn about the size of the striker, so long as they're capable of finding the net. Most of the taller players we've had in recent times haven't been prolific, perhaps excepting the Chief.

Agree that moves for Dadi or Savage would be daft. Fairly certain that WBA Welsh U21 won't be the answer to our prayers either. So need faith in talks Les might be having with experienced pro, according to his recent comments. Faith is something in short supply at present.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
bas is not the answer for us and it dont matter if hes tall or not sadly since his injury he has struggled a lot and is not the same player he was

drwhoman

I see the Welsh striker, born in Birmingham (!), is Kayleden Brown aged 18, who plays for West Brom Reserves. Tall and quick is the description. Amazingly, Dadi's name was also mentioned on the club site. I thought he was still in NZ but he never stays anywhere five minutes so perhaps not! This smacks of desperation I have to say. Still anyone is better than Gornall - there must be a non league striker somewhere who might make the step up and be prepared to play for widgets?

Player
Goodison
We were looking at John Macken (ex Barnsley striker who Iain Hume recommended) but apparently he is out of our price range having dropped his wage demands from £7500 a week to £1500. Apparently he's really keen on signing for Tranmere but we can't afford £1500, maybe something can be thrashed out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Macken would be an ideal replacement for Moore who I'm convinced is going this week. But we wouldn't be able to afford him. Eugene Dadi! :shock: Erm, he'll be 37 soon.. We really are scraping the barrel aren't we!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We seriously lacked width yesterday.

Unfortunately, the way the squad has shaped up we may have boxed ourselves into a corner as regards getting genuine width in our play: we have no natural wingers at the club.

Zoom at his best bombs forward down the left; Fraughan can play out wide but tends to derift inside, as does Mahon. That's about it.

Ther problem is the squad has been put together to play 4-3-3 and when Plan A fails it is difficult to revert to a Plan B.

Regardless of the above, I still think Showunmi has to play in a 4-4-2.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I don't think Rovers fans give a damn about the size of the striker, so long as they're capable of finding the net. Most of the taller players we've had in recent times haven't been prolific, perhaps excepting the Chief.

Agree that moves for Dadi or Savage would be daft. Fairly certain that WBA Welsh U21 won't be the answer to our prayers either. So need faith in talks Les might be having with experienced pro, according to his recent comments. Faith is something in short supply at present.

The tall players i mentioned got or would get 10 + a season !
malkin in his final year got 18!
howarth 16 i think !
all of them would be good for 10/12 a season given a good run and a bit of slack from the fans which for some reason was,nt forth coming !
eugene dadi was slaugtered by the fans !
yet greenacre on the other hand could go 3 months without scoring a goal but that was,nt a problem for the trany fans oh no!
why the fans think like that has always been a mistery to me @
each to there own i supose!
muppets:\\:D/

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Amplesou, why do you have to resort to abuse to make your points? Greenacre got 18 and 19 goals in consecutive seasons, so no surprise he was popular with most fans @Tranmere. Other regulars at the top of our scoring charts like Muir and Aldo aren't the tallest, but Haworth and Dadi also had a season on top. Simples: it's quality not height that counts.

Rockfords Love Child, while agreeing we have no natural wingers, save maybe the untried youngster Mackreth, you've not mentioned Cresswell, who's probably the best crosser currently at the club.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
When I heard we were interested in Dadi I thought it must have been a joke but Les has actually mentioned it !!

I still wonder though that if we did sign him, where would he fit into the 4-3-3 - as I still cant see Les changing his ideas on formation - unless its in a game like Saturday, when 4-3-3 isnt working. I still think he will start each game with 4-3-3 so assuming Enoch will be down the middle...I cant see a 37 yr old Dadi playing the role Curran did last year of bombing up and down the line!

Similarly with Macken - he is another one getting on a bit - who is a central striker.

I cant help feeling Les is alienating potential signings with his 4-3-3, especially front men.

He should not have signed so many defenders and should have brought in more wingers and gone 4-4-2 !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Les Parry: We were too direct. Last year we were direct with a purpose, I felt on Saturday that we lumped it a little bit and that there was no purpose to it.
I don't know why he's so surprised. He's playing a static 4-3-3 with a big target man.

drwhoman

OLDHAM GAME

I assume Gornall was on a two year contract because at present I wish we had said goodbye to him and not Curran. He adds nothing and just makes up the numbers.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Ther problem is the squad has been put together to play 4-3-3 and when Plan A fails it is difficult to revert to a Plan B. .

Amen. Thing with Cressa, Boz, is that he and Fraughan are both left-sided players which isn't really ideal.

In fairness to Les and his 4-3-3 - which I've never liked - it got us results last year, so it's hard to blame him for continuing with it. And fair play to him for changing things around on Sat when it was clear the formation wasn't working.

I assume Gornall was on a two year contract because at present I wish we had said goodbye to him and not Curran. He adds nothing and just makes up the numbers.

Yeah he was. It's a shame Curran left.

The Kop

I've sat/stood in each of our stands over the last 28 years but spent the past 10 years in the Upper Kop (yes, I've been home in between). I watched Saturday's game from the main stand and thought so much atmosphere was lost from the Lower Kop because the roof is so high, it just evaporated!! In fact it even looked like an open-ended stand because the roof is so high, admittedly this wasn't helped by our performance!! I was told that the idea was to create a better atmosphere for the home fans being gathered together (yeah, economics too, I know) which is clearly not the case, the volume in the Cowsheds was so much louder because of the proximity of the roof, I know they had more to shout about but that's not the point I'm making. With this in mind, whilst our gates are as low as they are it must make more sense to accomodate the SWA in the Cowsheds unless there is a police issue here.