• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 1 Oldham 2

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I'm afraid it was as bad as the pessimists on here like myself had feared. None of the new recruits had good performances, although I've seen worse keepers than Nielsen in a Rovers shirt. None of the familiar faces stood out positively either. I do feel sorry for Terry Gornell, he's not cut out for the Curran role, but did do a fair bit of tracking back and made one decent tackle, breaking up an Oldham attack. Up front, aside from the goal and one turn and shot late on, I don't think their keeper had a shot to save.

Oldham played very much "in your face" as you'd expect for a side managed by Paul Dickov. Mid-table at best, it's a real worry that there was such a gulf between us today.
Nearly as bad - I thougt 1 -3:lol: Anyway I did say he would play Gornell out there - no real choice as he is one of only three recognised main strikers/forwards that Les likes to play. I think he sees Kuyt (striker) playing wide and running himself into the ground for Liverpool and thinks that'll do for me - it is rubbish. Maybe one striker playing wide, but two is no good. It does not matter how good or bad Enoch is he won't score without service. Maybe play Zoum left back and Creswell in front of him wide left. As a full back he should have decent left foot and at least some pace. Don't know what we would do on RHS.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
big mistake to let baz savage go !
yeh he goes out wide ,but gets us in the final third alot!
this shouumbe guy just goes into traffic and loses the position of the ball !
so thats a no go in this league !
yet baz is rotting on trial at stevenage f/me!
Edds if we had resigned him would have and could of played several postions yesterday and would have done a beter job than most!
most of these new players will take months to bed in!
In my humble opinion ,it will be to late by then !@
p.s. bought a ticket to go to the bunny bell bar for the first time ( with grandad)and it was delightfull a real supprise !
much nicer than wembley bar .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Glad you enjoyed your time in the Bunny Bell bar :) At least drink can solve all these problems (don't listen kids)...

Sonkorly: It doesn't matter so much who gets picked for playing on the right, it'll sure be a better option than having Gornell there. Power I guess is an option and probably one of the only options. Does Fraughan have a right foot?

We seriously lacked width yesterday. Les has said that the way to punish teams is to whip crosses into the box, but that's completely the opposite of what went on yesterday. Is was static and predictable. Having a big target guy up front doesn't mean you have to lump balls up field. Also useful for whipping crosses on to his head!

I was a bit more upbeat when Fraughan came on because he gave it a go. He tried to take people on and whipped a few balls in. That was exactly what we needed. The ball spent for too much time in the air yesterday. Play football on the floor, surely that is not beyond them.

DIW

Player
Goodison
We need a manager who is going to advocate a passing game.

Hmm... John Barnes?????:lol:

Player
Goodison
We need a manager who is going to advocate a passing game.

Hmm... John Barnes?????:lol:

We don't need a manager to advocate a passing game. We need a manager with enough contacts within the game to be able to assemble a decent which can play the style he wants to play, unfortunately Les does not have enough contacts in the game - as has been demonstrated by signing the likes of Wood, Cathalina and Enoch whatever his name is.

DIW

Player
Goodison
We don't need a manager to advocate a passing game. We need a manager with enough contacts within the game to be able to assemble a decent which can play the style he wants to play, unfortunately Les does not have enough contacts in the game - as has been demonstrated by signing the likes of Wood, Cathalina and Enoch whatever his name is.

Actually I don't really believe that about the passing game I was simply making a response to a variety of comments that all we did yesterday was hoof it up to the carthorse Enoch - which we did.
I agree with the rest of your points though which was why I recommended that Les stepped down at the end of last season so we could get a manager with some experience in.

Player
Goodison
why I recommended that Les stepped down at the end of last season so we could get a manager with some experience in.

Yeah I was leaning that way but decided to give Les a chance because of what he achieved last season, but he looks really out of his depth now he has to actually build and manage a side rather than just pick up the pieces.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we are to try a 4-4-2, isn't Mackreth a wide-player? As Adam Johnson has shown at a higher level, it's perfectly possible for a left-sided player to play well from the right-wing. Alternatively, could Cathalina do the job when fit?

I'm not convinced that Les' failure in recruitment is mainly down to his management inexperience. Even Sir Alex Ferguson would struggle to get decent players in on our wages.

M

Mal

good grief. give the team 10 games at least, once the proper full side can be put out. Injuries haven't helped. We aren't even in the bottom four at the moment.

Player
Goodison
If we are to try a 4-4-2, isn't Mackreth a wide-player? As Adam Johnson has shown at a higher level, it's perfectly possible for a left-sided player to play well from the right-wing. Alternatively, could Cathalina do the job when fit?

I'm not sure about Cathalina he strikes me as more of a centre back then a right back to be honest. Not too sure about Mackreth, I thought he was a central midfielder, good shout tho - it's kind of sad that we don't have a recognised right winger tho!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not sure about Cathalina he strikes me as more of a centre back then a right back to be honest. Not too sure about Mackreth, I thought he was a central midfielder, good shout tho - it's kind of sad that we don't have a recognised right winger tho!

Cathalina was signed as a right-back, although in the two friendlies he played, started in central defence. I saw him play at Shrewsbury and he didn't get forward very much. Blanchard, who was playing right-back that day was pretty ineffective when venturing upfield, so no scope there.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Sonkorly: It doesn't matter so much who gets picked for playing on the right, it'll sure be a better option than having Gornell there. Power I guess is an option and probably one of the only options. Does Fraughan have a right foot?

It does matter evidently. Max is a center mid and although he's good for his age he's certainly not ready to start week in week out, especially out of position. Jack MacKreth is 18 and almost certainly not good enough for regular L1 football yet. Fraughan probably doesn't have a right foot and if you play him there then who on the left? Cresswell perhaps.

Point is we have one (very inexperienced) winger in the whole squad which IMO is inexcusable.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wont repeat what many of said - but just to echo a few points:

Lets not panic yet. If we'd had Broomes and Ash Taylor in plus maybe Cathalina we may have looked more solid. The worrying thing was the lack of creativity.

Les on the radio last week was going about how great the 4-3-3 is - I was well surprised then when he changed it to 4-4-2 which seemed to help.

Criticising Gornell is unfair IMO. Playing him on the right is just a joke and Les is to blame. Enochs touch was abysmal - i lost count the amount of times the ball came to him and he could not bring it under control. Keeper looks hopeless and I was right behind the goal for the free kick - he was just asking for their lad to put it in the that corner.

We still have 45 league games left and when we are at full strength, we do have a half decent team. I just dont think we have the players for 4-3-3 to be successful on a regular basis - but i cant see Les changing it that frequently.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We don't have the players for 4-4-2 either. Which is why I've been so critical of the squad Les has created, budget constraints or otherwise.

Player
Goodison
We don't have the squad for any system. We're an absolute shambles. The only players Parry is capable of attracting are rejects and former players - he's in talks with Eugene Dadi and rumoured to be trying to get Bas Savage back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Eugene Dadi ?! He must be about 37 now. What with him, Goodi, McClaren....maybe we should enter a veterans league instead !

Maybe dadi can bring Greenacre back with him too !

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Even though I'd like to have him in the squad, I sincerely hope Bas tells him where to go.

Wonder what Sam Aistons up to these days? Sean Flynn? How about Alan Mahon? Oh wait...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think its safe to say that Bas wont be telling any club were to go as he cant get a club, as for us being in for him i really hope not the same goes for dadi.