• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (0) v Wrexham (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Wrexham

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (0) v Wrexham (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 2, 2023 - 12:30 PM
Until: Saturday, September 2, 2023 - 02:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It really was bad and 1-0 flattered us. It would have been a travesty if we’d nicked a late equaliser.

Won’t repeat earlier points but they absolutely dominated the early stages and if they’d had Mullin we would have been well behind at the break. Wrexham have a good mix of talent like Lee and McLean but a team of giants for their set pieces.
We were physically out battled, out worked and looked toothless. Dennis looks like a fish out of water with all the running he has to do. Morris poor and hawkes quiet. Dawes should be getting more out of them but the 4-3-3 is just exposing us as it is very narrow. Poor CJ worked hard but was let down. We had no pace or power today. Taylor looked bright but overall it was very poor.

How much longer should Dawes have? He’s clearly out his depth but is anyone surprised given his CV?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched Dawes post match. Don’t know why really.

What is annoying is Wrexham had conceded 14 league goals in 5 games this season and we didn’t lay a glove on them.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Awful interview. Hopefully he's on borrowed time now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Stockport losing at home to Crawley. All set up for challinor to come home?

Player
Aldo
As Alan Shearer would say - one team were better all over the park. Tranmere stayed in the game longer than they deserved. Not easy to take but Wrexham are well drilled and know their jobs. Tranmere - its like they are still playing pre season. TBH its been like this for the past few seasons with so many players coming and going . I would/could say 'sack the manager' but
1. who would want it (can't imagine the wages will be above average) - a rookie
2. the choices over there past few years haven't always been that great. Things could get worse.
On the positive side ... It was a good atmosphere, I thought a number of players did really well today (centre backs + keeper). _
Let's hope we can pick up some points over the next few games. When is Norris back ?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Just when you think things couldn't be any worse and you turn up every game with a bit of hope for a positive performance, a good chance of getting a result, a solid performance and the lads have done the supporters proud!
The whistle blows to start the game full of hope!
Half time. You are scratching your head how you are at 0-0, and it's not because you have been close, but they have had so many chances, you have been outplayed, the system and shape is not working (again), surely, there would be a sense of relief, I would opt to be more resilient!I
After the first half it would have been a triumph to get a 0-0!
But the goal was coming but nowt from the bench! A set piece did us!
We didn't have an answer, You can use subs if you know they will make a difference but they didn't!
It would have been robbery if because of the performance, had we got a point!
4-3-3 doesn't work if you haven't got the possession to make it work!
In this league you need bullies and a solid base and spine. Something that is sadly lacking. And even though effected by a couple of injuries, our current set up, with better players is worse than last season!
I think we all knew it would be a hard season, but I never imagined we would be near the bottom. And from the performances, it is no surprise!
This hurts!
It can't go on!
Something has to change before it's too late!
Just not good enough for Tranmere!
We deserve better!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought it was a woeful performance and highlighted the inadequacies of the manager.

In the Salford and Notts games we were overloaded in the wide areas due to the narrow 433, but inexplicably Dawes persisted with the same tactics again. As a result, their wing backs had the freedom of the pitch and McClean ran the game in the first half. Yet again, there was no in-game tactical change to help us get a foothold, and it was only through luck and some heroics from McGee that we went in level at half time. Anybody can make a mistake once, but only a fool will endlessly repeat it.

At half time the switch to 4411 came, but too late. We did look slightly better defensively in the second half, but still offered next to nothing going forward, and Wrexham's victory was deserved. They are a decent side, but we made them look like world beaters today due to the Sunday league level of incompetence of the manager. We have some talented players of our own, but they are being hopelessly poorly managed.

McGee was our clear man of the match, but I thought Jennings and Merrie also worked hard and had reasonable games.

Five defeats in the opening six matches must be the worst record of any manager in our history (without checking, I would guess the 1938-39 season is the only other occasion we may have performed so poorly). I don't think there will be an improvement until somebody competent is in the dugout.
As RLC suggests it was almost inexcusable that our full backs especially Yarney struggled first half. The midfield three in front of the back four were narrow which meant Yarney (playing out of his best position), was really exposed with McLean who at this level is a decent player given lots of time and space. Dawes persistence with his 4-3-3 despite it not working is ridiculous.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

Indeed. I like Palios and believe he always has the best interests of the club at heart. But did he really believe Dawes was the answer given his CV and being failures of 3 different managers when assistant?

Player
Aldo
Indeed. I like Palios and believe he always has the best interests of the club at heart. But did he really believe Dawes was the answer given his CV and being failures of 3 different managers when assistant?
Maybe the price was right.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes I’ve wondered at times whether we could only afford Norris, Dennis, McGee, Jennings etc by signing a cheap manager…
The coaching staff were probably also an issue. Palios probably was not prepared to allow someone like Barry-Murphy to clear out the coaches and bring in his own people, both due to cost and the fear that he would have to relinquish control in certain areas. In reality, I think we need a complete clear out of the coaching staff.

If our Football League status is imperilled, you would think Palios will have to compromise and bring in someone experienced.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Says everything abt the state of the club when palios said after appointing Daws that we are going away from the experienced managers he will never learn the ither thing is the technical director what is he doing and the assistant what are they doing the whole thing is set to fail and we might be up the river with out a paddle bye tge time palios wakes up

drwhoman

Maybe sacking Mellon was not such a good idea! Is he still available? With the desperate state of things we need someone who at least knows what they are doing!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Maybe sacking Mellon was not such a good idea! Is he still available? With the desperate state of things we need someone who at least knows what they are doing!
It as pretty bad under Micky and we need to remember that. Although Dawes has had a much better experienced squad and I’m sure Micky would get more out of it. No chance he’d come back though even if Palios asked him

Player
Manager
John King
It as pretty bad under Micky and we need to remember that.
I don't agree actually. The squad last season was poorer than this year, but Mellon kept us well clear of trouble.

How would Dawes have fared with Mumbongo, Nevitt, Burton etc ? I think we know the answer.

However, I agree there is no way Micky would come back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don't agree actually. The squad last season was poorer than this year, but Mellon kept us well clear of trouble.

How would Dawes have fared with Mumbongo, Nevitt, Burton etc ? I think we know the answer.

However, I agree there is no way Micky would come back.
I meant more the atmosphere than the results and league position. That final game was very toxic from memory but as I’ve said before in hindsight we perhaps should have realised the grass isn’t always greener

Player
Manager
John King
I meant more the atmosphere than the results and league position. That final game was very toxic from memory but as I’ve said before in hindsight we perhaps should have realised the grass isn’t always greener
A few idiots on the Kop after the Newport game, when we had massive injury problems. A few weeks earlier we had beaten Orient at Prenton Park.

We were not in a position to challenge at the top of the table last season and Mellon did a solid job, as well as developing youngsters like Bristow and Hawkes.

Ultimately, results and league position are all that matters.