• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (0) v Crewe (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Crewe

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (0) v Crewe (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 3, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 3, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After losing to two play-off contenders in Barrow and Milton Keynes last month, can we make it third time lucky against the Railwaymen, another top 7 opponent?

Things have certainly improved for Rovers since the 2-0 defeat at Gresty Road. The visitors have been on a good streak of form under manager Lee Bell, until an unexpected loss at home to Salford last weekend. They did well in the transfer window selling defender O'Riordan to Blackburn for a decent sum, but haven't splashed the cash, bringing in Turns from Brighton to plug the defensive gap and a couple of midfielders all on loan. Old boy Nevitt, after an uninspiring start seems to have settled in at his new club and chips in with goals fairly regularly. It will be interesting to see how he's progressed after moving on, but wouldn't be a surprise if he finds the net this weekend.

Haven't heard the pre=match, but assume that the absentees including Saunders are still missing, so new injuries permitting would expect a similar line-up to at Grimsby. There will be a decent turnout of travelling fans too. Historically neither team have done well on the opponent's ground, but feel that this will be a close game with goals and no surprise if Crewe come away with something.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Crewe are having an excellent season and well in the mix at the top. It will be a tough game but I think we'll come through just.. Can't envisage any changes from last week. Apter will have a big part to play if we are to win the game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It will indeed be a tough game and I’ll be surprised if Alex don’t take something from it. They had a half decent transfer window bringing in loanee Turns who did well in Oreints promotion season plus ex winger Charlie Kirk who I thought we may have gone for if Hawkes had left.
Over 800 away tickets sold so far. Can’t see past a draw but not convinced we’ll win. Nevitt scoring is inevitable and they also have pace with Tracey on the right and Chris Long ex Everton youngster is decent at this level.
Obviously Apter is key but we could do with Morris and Jennings putting their scoring boots back on as we can’t solely rely on young Robbie. I’d like Dennis to get a start but suspect Jolley will keep his place which is fair enough after our win at Grimsby

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Going to be a tough game, think it will be an entertaining draw 2 2.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Do I pick another draw?
My worry is that we allow Crewe too much off the ball.
Got to be on the front foot and take the game to them.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Going to be a tough game, think it will be an entertaining draw 2 2.
Yes, it should be a good match between 2 in-form sides; with Crewe's last 2 away outings being wins at high-flying Mansfield and Barrow. That said, apart from the MK Dons loss, we haven't dropped home points since 20th October. On that basis I'm going for the big "W".

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
They brushed us aside as did County when we were v poor. Be interesting two we compare now although a competitive defeat may still occur.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think that while Crewe deserved their win, there were moments in that game when we didn't get the rub of the green like the Jolley penalty shout and the officials missing the Crewe handball in our penalty box just before the McGee red card. County were much stronger but thankfully chose to ease off.

Have listened to NA pre-match, when it came to the roll-call at the end, Harvey Saunders wasn't one of the trio named as injured (again). Can't think Nigel will have forgotten about him for two weeks running, yet not expecting him to pop up tomorrow

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not sure which County DB was referring to, but my reply was referencing Stockport, apologies for the ambiguity.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'm not sure which County DB was referring to, but my reply was referencing Stockport, apologies for the ambiguity.
Yes, we were equally bad against both Stockport and Crewe.

Reactions: Boz

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Ah my mistake yes Stockport, have friends there we speak a lot. Be interesting to compare, I presume Alex wont lump it up to Nevitt like we did. Draw"

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The bottom 4 play each other today, if results go against them the bottom 2 be all but down even at this stage of the season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
1706969534566.png

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unchanged side for Rovers, with Saunders on the bench. Presume Harvey isn’t fully fit or surely he starts? Also puzzled that the player he replaces on the bench is Dennis. It’s a home game, one we should be going for a win in, Kristian more likely to get us a goal than either Lewis or McAlear.

Nevitt starts for the visitors, one to watch.

There seemed to be a big police presence at Rock Ferry and a helicopter. Know that there was some trouble at the end of the reverse fixture but this game doesn’t seem to have much history of difficulty so a bit surprised.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Defensively ok but we’ve been poor going forward. Far too slow and pedestrian. Jolley and Jennings not in the game. Need more from us in the final third.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very quiet opening spell from Rovers, we couldn’t retain possession, Apter barely touched the ball in the opening half hour, as Crewe on top without really threatening. We’ve got better towards the end of the half and the ref has finally given the occasional decision our way. Thought Jolley ok but Jennings has been very quiet. Think Nigel may give it ten minutes then make some changes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s too cautious again. We pressed them a little more towards the end of the half. Hopefully a bit more adventurous this half!

ADD

Player
Norwood
Must be me but despite Adkins obvious capabilities I would love to hear why he thinks Jolley is better than Taylor. Once again he showed so little and is rightly subbed.