• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0 Monkey-Hangers 0

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Curran works hard but isn't a threat in front of goal. Gornell is simply not good enough, not even at this level and Bas has got some way to go before he's fit and strong enough to play how he likes too. Some on here might not like it, but ITM is our only goal threat.

Agree about Mahon too, we need some creativity in there, and he would have been perfect on Fri, at least he tries to play football on the ground. Why was he not brought on?

Was there any time on Fri when we looked capable of scoring?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
As I said in the pre-match thread, I feel our current starting line-up is ideally suited to grind out a no score draw away from PP so it came as no surprise when the lack of invention and creativity cost us on Friday. Mahon has to be an option.

We look a far better side when the opposition are of a higher quality because they come here looking for victory and therefore the initiative doesn't rest with ourselves to open up the game. Our lack of fire power obviously became even more evident with the loss of ITM.

+1, well written and so true.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a must win game and we didn't win. The fact it took 88 minutes to get a shot on target sums the abysmal, toothless performance up. I thought Daniels and Logan had good games whilst McCready was solid. Goodison played well with the exception of his gaffe although he made it up with some last ditch clearances in the final few minutes. Creswell gets caught out of position far too much and lunges in quite a bit.

In midfield Ash Taylor's passing is awful I think the fans are a greater risk of receiving the ball then any of the players when he has the ball. Taylor's long term future is at centre back.
Welsh and McLaren were anonymous. McLaren sliced wide from 4 yards out as well in the first half somehow.

Upfront there was nothing there, Savage is unfit, Gornell has touch but no pace and [/B]Curran is terrible.

Our remaining fixtures are tricky to say the least - we need to go for 3 points at home, playing for a draw is unacceptable.

If we continue to play like we did on Friday League 2 football beckons.

How many balls does Luke Daniels have to kick out for an opposing goal-kick/throw-in before you reckon he has a bad game then?

I disagree with your singling out some of our younger players. Cresswell did nothing wrong, Ash Taylor's long distance passing leaves something to be desired, but given McLaren is barely capable of a creative pass and Welsh wasn't in the mood for it, I can hardly blame the lad for having a go. Can you not keep the rose-tinted specs you always wear when assessing Goodison's performance on and look at Curran in the same light?

Player
Goodison
Daniels kicking is awful yes but he saved a point with his save from Goodison's error. Goodison was solid apart from that mistake. Curran cut in and shot wide - that's the only positive I can find from his performance. Taylor having a go is fine, he's going to be a very good player but he needs to just keep possesion rather than trying anything fancy. Just lay it off to one of the full backs or midfielders.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Applying your standards, if Daniels making one decent save = a good game, then Curran with our second best effort after Marvin must at least be half decent. Personally don't think anyone had a good game, if pressed to name MoM, would pick one of the full-backs. Rather like Goodison looked ordinary at left-back, but a star when played in his proper position, Curran is at his best as a striker not wide. It was a shame given ITM's absence that we didn't go 4-4-2.

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
4-4-2

Boz i totally agree with you on the 4-4-2. It seems silly that we still played the 4-3-3 with ITM out as he is usually the target man of the three (ha!). I think trying to bring creativity into the team is all well and good, but at this late stage of the season we need consistensy and good old fashioned grit and determination to win.

Rovers always come good against the odds and im looking forward to another season in League One next season. 8-[

Did I Miss It?

Thanks for the compliment Sonkorly!=D> The below extract is taken from the BBC Sports match report. Did the latter moment really happen? Admittedly, I'd indulged in a few beers ahead of the game and due to the nature of our performance I may be guilty of having dozed off once or twice!

"Anthony Sweeney and James Brown went close for Pools, while Tranmere's Craig Curran hit the post".

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought he just missed the post but I don't think he hit it.