• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0 Monkey-Hangers 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That was one of the worst games I can recall at PP in a long time. Hartlepool were distinctly ordinary, came for a point without "parking the bus" and we edged the first half. After half-time, Pools seemed to realise how poor we were and upped their game. In the end it could be seen as a point gained, as we had Luke Daniels to thank for a great save after a Goodison blunder left O'Donavan 1 on 1 against him.

Defence. Daniels kicked long far too often, the number of his kicks that went straight out for a Hartlepool goal-kick were in double-figures. You can use the Nazi defence of only obeying orders, but the one time he threw the ball to Cresswell, there was an interchange of passes with the midfield and a decent ball into the box. Defensively we were ok, aside from the Goodi gaffe. He seemed to have a real cob on about something tonight, having a go at everyone, never seen him do that to Broomes who frequently deserves a rocket.

Midfield. Never imposed their authority on the game. McLaren missed a great chance in the first half, failing to test the keeper from close-range. Welsh was quiet and a few people leaving the ground were very critical of Ash Taylor. I don't think it was his finest hour and a half, but wouldn't single him out as worse than the others.

Attack. ITM out with a knee injury. He's one of those players who you don't realise quite how much he does until he's not there. Gornell replaced him and didn't have much impact, he alternated playing the central and wide role with Bas, but struggled in the latter. Bas showed some nice touches, but his presence seemed to be a cause of the hated hoof-ball. Curran was quieter than usual, had one good effort 2nd half. It was only when Marvin came on, that we finally had a shot on target, 88 minutes in, which brought a decent save out of their keeper.

Crowd. Was surprised it was as big as 5409. The 180 or so away fans made more noise in the 1st half, the home support only got going after the break. Personally, now that I've no longer got anywhere to stay on the Wirral, Friday night games are a hassle, but they're such a rarity now that there's no longer the routine of going. We'd probably have more playing on a Saturday.

Tactics. 2nd half we were defending far too deep, rather like the Orient game, but without a two goal lead to defend. There should have been much more ball to feet. McCready and Goodison are both capable of carrying the ball forward, but never did. The subs were odd. Shuker didn't make much difference and a like-for-like first change with Sordell replacing Gornell would have made more sense. Bringing Edds on ahead of Mahon in a game which was crying out for more ball to feet was crass stupidity by the coaching trio imo.

Finally. If we go down, then this game be seen as a turning point in my book. Next up we've the visit of the league leaders sandwiched between difficult awaydays to Brighton and Swindle. Play like this again and we'll end Easter no better off.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Nothing to add other than that I was releived when the half-time whistle blew and then fell asleep with my head in my hands for just short of 10 minutes during this period.

Closest I came to enjoying myself was laughing at Les bringing on Gareth Edds to change the game. I've been going to TRFC for about 12 years now I think, and our current team is probably the most depressing I've paid to watch in that period. There're no players I particulaly like other than Bakayogo, nobody to rally around. And he's out of contract at the end of the season. Our manager is physi,physio, physio Les Parry (when you sit and think about it, how ****ing amateur is that?) our owner wants out, boo'd off the pitch at home in a stadium with an empty seat/fan ratio of 2:1, a squad packed to the brim of league 2 standard journeymen and a few kids with the potential to be the same when they grow up.

I don't even really care if we stay up or not, I just hope I never have to see a game like that next season because quite frankly I have better things to do on a friday night if what I saw tonight is to become a regular occurance.

M

Mal

to be fair

Les has managed (literally) to get Tranmere away from the bottom with a set of inherited players. I'd like to see him in action when he can choose players to bring in, for a real 'les parry' team. I agree that most of the team lack real skill, and hardly any shots on target is a disgrace. I'm sure even I could have had one on target in 90 minutes.

I think there is something deeper in the psyche of Tranmere - historically, apart from that one Wembley goal from Malkin (who was not exactly the most skilful of players), the teams always seem to bottle it when it matters, and against poorer teams, only raising the tempo against superior opposition. Never clinical, too nice. And we haven't had a decent consistent finisher since Aldridge left, something we used to have continuously for years.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Being frank - an awful game of football played between two terrible terrible teams, almost as awful as my attempt at the R factor at half time.
No-one had anything remotely resembling a good game (although Daniels did save us).
Ash Taylor was poor, but I stand by my assertion that the lad is a centre back not a midfield player.
Exeter and Wycombe at home are critical games now. No margin whatsoever.

Player
Dave Challinor
Oh my god why did i bother!

Seriously someone tell me???????

Dreadful, a shocking game not helped by the rain, the monkey hangers being worse than us and Parry kicking his heels on the touchline looking like he had lost the will to live after 20 minutes!

The 3 time we got the ball on the deck we almost scored the rest of the time it was hoofed! Why are we playing one striker and packing the midfield at home against that shower of French mascot murdering poo. :evil:

I don't think you get on the books of Liverpool, Man City or Crewe for having the ability to cream the ball down the park!!!!!!

You have a bench Parry use it! [-o<

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Can't really add much to what has been said already.

The strangest thing for me last night was the complete lack of spirit and zest in the performance. The way we played you would have thought it was a meaningless end of season game. Les has performed a miracle to even give us a chance of survival, but I think you have to question the preparation and team selection last night: I heard a few dissenting voices around me for the first time yesterday.

Why play Gornell rather than Sordell when our midfield and attack is crammed full of battling (not last night I hasten to addd) journeyman, and is seriously lacking in imagination or creativity (Savage apart, and he is not fully fit) ? Given that two of our most important attacking players were unavailable surely we needed to make a change in midfield, such as bringing in Mahon, to give us somee attacking purpose, rather than playing like the away side which we did for much of the second half ? Why were we not psyched up for such a massive game ? What is the point in going to places like Charlton and Bristol and slogging our guts out for a point to then produce a comatose performance in a six-pointer at home ?

If the players had looked even remotely interested yesterday I think they could have comfortably beaten a Hartlepool side that were, lets face it, very poor, but the lack of fight in the performance was very concerning.

All of the above said, last night was our worst performance by far under Les, and we have always shown character to bounce back from poor displays previously, but to produce such an inept display coming into the most crucial phase of the season fills me with foreboding.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with most that last night was truly awful, but Les IMO contributed to it with his team selection.

The midfield trio away from home is good as Taylor sits and McClaren/Welsh are both fairly defensive. But to play them at home AGAINST A TEAM WHO HAD LOST THEIR LAST 9 CONSECUTIVE AWAY GAMES, was just plain negative.

Add to that playing Gornell as a wide man in a front 3 was a joke. I knew this wouldnt work. He has to play either in the middle of the 3 or as part of a front 2.

Either Shukes or Sordell should have played the wide role, if that joker Savage is to play down the middle. If we are relying on Bas to save us then God help us.

Edds I think has been out best player in recent weeks and can get the odd goal so to not play him was wrong instead of any of the other 3.

Plus the last two subs came on with 8/9 mins left. Clearly too little too late. Les needs to learn from this and fast.

Could be back in the relegation zone after today.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
if that joker Savage is to play down the middle. If we are relying on Bas to save us then God help us.

Edds I think has been out best player in recent weeks and can get the odd goal so to not play him was wrong instead of any of the other 3.

Wait...what?!

Did you go to any games last season? (Savage) or to Leeds last week? (Edds)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
awful wofeull dreadfull embarrasing lack of effort and ability to put it mildly.

The tactics were a joke as previously stated why bother playing 3 in centre midfield that rarely get forward and how mclaren is picked game after game is beyond me he does nothing and is a liability. We need to try 4-4-2 at home but we wont as les is must be conviced of the system.

We will go to brighton for a point next week but we need to start winning games and having a go at teams as we have such a difficult easter i fear the worst.

Very few players can deserved their wages after that pathetic showing

Player
Liam Palmer
Not going to repeat all that's been said, agree with it all, except the rant about Savage.

I'm a big fan of what Les has done, and I know behind the scenes he's working to get the club on a more professional footing in terms of management, but I listened to his pre-match interview on BBCM on the way to the game and he sounded like a man who'd just reversed over his dog.

If that was the tone he set before the match, no wonder the players were strolling about looking like they couldn't give a toss.

Some prat on the radio said that the Fulham v Juventus game was the greatest ever game in the whole history of English football. Well last night I might just have witnessed the worst.

The only comfort I can draw is that we're still 5th bottom (some comfort!) and that it's 'typical Tranmere': we'll probably lose to Brighton and beat Norwich.

One final obs: Les said he doesn't want to have to go to Stockport on the last day needing a win. He needn't worry. If we play like that we'll be relegated well before the County game.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
It was just a terrible game. 2 teams who were absolutely dreadful to be honest.

On the Tranmere front, I can't believe nobody thought, why the hell are we just hoofing it up aimlessly when their 2 centre halves are 6ft 6 (well they were big anyway not sure how big) and winning absolutely EVERY header. Did nobody think, actually, best try and keep it lower, play better balls for Bas to hold up and bring runners into the game.

It was dross, the ball must have been in mid air for at least 85 mins of the 90! No wonder they kept going flat!

Last night was a winnable game that we really needed to try and maximise. We showed no urgency to go for 3 points and towards the end seemed to settle for a point. Well, Norwich, Millwall, Swindon, Colchester still to play, all those teams are doing really well and will be mega difficult games. Add to that 6 pointers against Exeter, Wycombe and Brighton next weekend and we could rue not getting a win here.

M

Mal

let's look on the bright side

Exeter, Southend, Wycombe and Stockport didn't take advantage and Oldham lost... Gillingham only a point ahead with a game more played, Leyton Orient lost and are only 3 points ahead having played a game more.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't believe nobody thought, why the hell are we just hoofing it up aimlessly when their 2 centre halves are 6ft 6 (well they were big anyway not sure how big) and winning absolutely EVERY header. Did nobody think, actually, best try and keep it lower, play better balls for Bas to hold up and bring runners into the game.
It's what they do in most games. Aimless long ball football, it's boring, predictable and certainly doesn't win you many points.

What a dire game of football that was. Guaranteed to keep the Wirral public away.

Parry was harping on before the game about how important this game was. Shame he forgot to tell the players!!
Crap game, crap atmosphere, crap weather.. Wow. #-o

But like Mal says above, we can at least coming out smiling a bit over the weekend. With the way the results went, we are still just above the relegation zone, but they need to pick up their ideas otherwise that Stockport game will be here before we know it!! Another round of games gone and still just a point from safety.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Our worst performance under Les.

That said, Les has raised the expectations. The superb point at Bristol meant we went into the game expecting something good.

Yes we were let down, but that's typical Tranmere!!

Earlier in the season we couldn't buy a point for love nor money, so a point is a point, I'll take that. Especially as our performance was so poor we probably didn't even deserve a point.

The bright moments came from mazy runs from Logan and some outstanding interceptions from Taylor. If he could learn to pass the ball under pressure Ash would be outstanding, however he's still young and central midfield is an area where experience counts.

Are our expectations too high

Under Barnes we'd have lost to a piss poor Hartlepool, under Les we managed a point. Dont forget they are above us in the table and so perhaps are not quite as piss poor as us.

The frustration and the comments made are all understandable and there is not anything I would care to argue against......but I have to take comfort somewhere and I am pleased that we did not conceed. The more clean sheets the more chance we have of staying up, obvious but true - there are a few teams actually worse than we are!!!!!!! How crap must they be.

Les Aid, get in a midfielder whose job it is is to liven the rest of the buggers up. The worst thing on Friday night was the casual attitude of the team. Someone to give them a kick up the backside and mix it with the opposition would bring the crowd to life. He doesnt have to be a worldbeater, more of a nark who likes to leave his foot in and get things going, its a while since we've had a player who enjoys that side of the game, god knows we've got enough nice boys.

And I dont want the response that the game has moved on, not at our level it hasnt, most of the teams in our division have a couple in midfield who get stuck in. We're too bloody nice and easy.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Crap game, crap atmosphere, crap weather.. Wow. #-o

Yep, and this mug made a 250 mile round trip in the rain to watch that crap :-( At least you lot didn't have to spend £20 on diesel and I'm guessing you probably got home before 1am ;-)

Bloody hell, the life of a Rovers fan eh?

Awful game. All I have to say.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Your tight bootlerover hartlepool are ahead of us in the table currently but they have lost their last 9 away games prior to friday night.

Yes its good to keep a clean sheet but i struggle to see where the goals are going to come from to keep us up. We have some very hard games to come with the two easter games looking very tricky to say the least.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure if we should be happy settling for a point. The home games is where we have to try and pick up as many points as we can, as I'm sure you'll all agree, that's our best chance of picking up points, the home games.

Yes, we might not have got anything from this game if Barnes was in charge, but let's set our standards a little bit higher. That game was there for winning, and Rovers failed to capitalise. If they had tried, I wouldn't be moaning, but games like this could bite them hard come end of the season.

There are still people saying a point is OK, but yet another week passes. Maybe I'm just a little more edgy than others at this stage.

Ouch to Gray too! Must have been one depressing journey back home #-o

Starting Eleven

As I said in the pre-match thread, I feel our current starting line-up is ideally suited to grind out a no score draw away from PP so it came as no surprise when the lack of invention and creativity cost us on Friday. Mahon has to be an option.

We look a far better side when the opposition are of a higher quality because they come here looking for victory and therefore the initiative doesn't rest with ourselves to open up the game. Our lack of fire power obviously became even more evident with the loss of ITM.

Player
Goodison
It was a must win game and we didn't win. The fact it took 88 minutes to get a shot on target sums the abysmal, toothless performance up. I thought Daniels and Logan had good games whilst McCready was solid. Goodison played well with the exception of his gaffe although he made it up with some last ditch clearances in the final few minutes. Creswell gets caught out of position far too much and lunges in quite a bit.

In midfield Ash Taylor's passing is awful I think the fans are a greater risk of receiving the ball then any of the players when he has the ball. Taylor's long term future is at centre back. Welsh and McLaren were anonymous. McLaren sliced wide from 4 yards out as well in the first half somehow.

Upfront there was nothing there, Savage is unfit, Gornell has touch but no pace and Curran is terrible.

Our remaining fixtures are tricky to say the least - we need to go for 3 points at home, playing for a draw is unacceptable.

If we continue to play like we did on Friday League 2 football beckons.