• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 0 - 3 Brentford

Player
Goodison
Yawn, PJ, etc.

The top team in 3 of the 4 major european leagues play in a 4-3-3, but perhaps you've realised huge inherent flaws in that system that Ancelotti, Deschamps and Guardiola have overlooked. Doubt that though. One of the nice things about having 3 central midfielders, for example, is that it's theoretically easier to keep possession in a key areas of the pitch. Width can either be provided by fullbacks or outside forwards - on the right hand side we have Akins in the latter role, while on the left we have both Jennings and Cressa who are proficient going forward/from wide positions. We successfully crossed the ball in from open play a number of times on Saturday (you wouldn't know this because you didn't go to the game). The main problem with the 4-3-3 in so much as it concerns us is that, with Labadie injured, we don't really have anyone either a.) willing to get forward and support nochy or b.) who is frankly very good. Mclaren, Mendy and Blanchard are poor central midfielders at this level; a change of formation isn't going to rectify that. That said, a typical two-bank 4-4-2 is 'easier' to play in, so for that reason alone, I would be quite happy if we were to revert to type.

You're legally entitled to do lots of things at a football match, but short of actually getting behind the team vocally, or at least trying to enjoy the game, you aren't being very helpful to either the club or yourself. Your financial contribution is appreciated, but why not save some bother by setting up a direct debit from home?

Firstly last time I checked we played in league 1 not a "top" european league, so whether 4-3-3 works at that level or not is frankly irrelavant. Don't kid yourself into thinking we have wide players, we don't - the closest player we have is Fraughan. The rest are strikers or full backs, and that's Parry's fault.

As for your direct debit attitude, I enjoy watching my club play even if we do lose, so having idiots like you writing arsy comments like that on the internet isn't going to change that.

Oh and just to really wind you up "Cressa" (real name Creswell) should not play at left back - Zoom is a much better player. Creswell should be playing on the left wing if he's going to be in the team or when Zoom is injured, not at the expense of our only decent threat going forward. Whilst Creswell has done well this season, Zoom would still do a better job at left back - Parry's decision to cast aside one of our best players from last season is almost as stupid as his decision to play McLaren or 4-3-3.

Player
Goodison
The McLaren debate is a little fruitless. He's the easy scape-goat when things are going wrong. There was a lot more wrong with the performance and setup on Saturday than just McLaren.

The problem is McLaren playing seems to equal poor performance. We only stayed up last season because he got injured.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Parry's decision to cast aside one of our best players from last season is almost as stupid as his decision to play McLaren or 4-3-3.
Completely agree. It's completely baffling having Bakayogo sitting on the bench when we are struggling as much as we are. ](*,) You find room for your best players.

Moving slightly off the debate here, did anyone notice on the official site about Parry's comments regarding ITM?

Les
"I noticed in the local press that it said something about Ian Thomas-Moore not being right in the head because he was refused a move. I don't remember saying that on Saturday.

Then I clicked on where I'd read that. It was on the official site! Funnily enough, the article has now disappeared. Maybe Les should start reading the official site a bit more often.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Was fuming on Saturday. Couldn't write a match report on the game (sorry, I'll put it on the site tomorrow). It was such a disappointing performance. We played so well v Posh, Brighton and Charlton thaat I expected the same drive and commitment that saw us put on good displays in those games.

We've shown we can do it, against those top teams. There should be no excuses when we play the 'lesser' teams for the players not to give that same passion and desire in their game. It just wasn't there on Saturday.

Hopefully Les and the coaching staff will work the lads hard and lets try and get the Posh/Brighton/Charlton performaances week in week out. If they do that, we should finish safely in mid-table. That's the frustrating thing, as always, we're consistently inconsistent!=;

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Firstly last time I checked we played in league 1 not a "top" european league, so whether 4-3-3 works at that level or not is frankly irrelavant. Don't kid yourself into thinking we have wide players, we don't - the closest player we have is Fraughan. The rest are strikers or full backs, and that's Parry's fault.

As for your direct debit attitude, I enjoy watching my club play even if we do lose, so having idiots like you writing arsy comments like that on the internet isn't going to change that.

Oh and just to really wind you up "Cressa" (real name Creswell) should not play at left back - Zoom is a much better player. Creswell should be playing on the left wing if he's going to be in the team or when Zoom is injured, not at the expense of our only decent threat going forward. Whilst Creswell has done well this season, Zoom would still do a better job at left back - Parry's decision to cast aside one of our best players from last season is almost as stupid as his decision to play McLaren or 4-3-3.

Was hoping you'd say this. Bizarre argument. If you're going to nitpick at different systems, saying x, x and x are problems inherant to 4-3-3 as the basis of an argument in support of playing 4-4-2, the fact that many top teams play a 4-3-3 couldn't possibly be more relevent. We're talking purely about systems, not players; you're getting the two confused. You were wrong initially and you're wrong again now.

You couldn't wind me up if you tried. I hope you'll be able to find some happiness in your life despite the fact that Bakayogo is currently sat on the bench. Move on, find a new interest...

Ian's right, Mclaren is rubbish but is being unfairly scapegoated - to the extent that people who didn't even watch the game are commenting on his inclusion, performance and reaction to being sent off.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ian's right, Mclaren is rubbish but is being unfairly scapegoated - to the extent that people who didn't even watch the game are commenting on his inclusion, performance and reaction to being sent off.

Pity he wasn't; it would have ensured Les couldn't pick him for a game or two.

There is so much bickering on here at present, it's starting to read like the Cowsheds!

Player
Goodison
Was hoping you'd say this. Bizarre argument. If you're going to nitpick at different systems, saying x, x and x are problems inherant to 4-3-3 as the basis of an argument in support of playing 4-4-2, the fact that many top teams play a 4-3-3 couldn't possibly be more relevent. We're talking purely about systems, not players; you're getting the two confused. You were wrong initially and you're wrong again now.

Systems are designed to accomodate players, surely even you can work that one out:whistle: You choose a system which best suits your players, clubs in the "top" divisions don't play 4-3-3 because it's the "best" system, they play it because it best suits the players at their disposal. In Tranmere's case 4-3-3 does not suit the players avaliable. I still don't see how what Barcelona play has any revelance to Tranmere, they have slightly more skilled players than us. Oh and we're not talking about purely systems either, I've never seen a team play a "McLaren" system or a "Zoom" one either.

Move on and find a new interest? Your seriously suggesting I should just not bother supporting Tranmere. Comments like that wont win you much interest from anyone else - you just look pathetic. Oh and I may have wound you up considering McLaren was apparently sent off, I may have not been there but I know that didn't happen, are you sure you were at the game on Saturday or you're even a Tranmere fan? (Telling fans to stop being fans suggests to me your not a Tranmere fan)

By the way Sonko I think a lot of us on hear are bored of your arsy comments that always claim your right about everything. If you had read my earlier posts you may have noticed I was making links between the system played and the players, not just purely talking about one subject or the other, but there you. I'm sure sonkotinted specticals will read something completely different from what I just wrote out and allow your keyboard to produce even more mindless drivel:cold:

P.S. The current european champions played 4-4-2 during their Champions League win, as well as 4-3-3 so saying all top european teams play 4-3-3 is wrong.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There is so much bickering on here at present, it's starting to read like the Cowsheds!
How dare you :wink:

Hmm, looks like this thread may be getting out of hand. Can we try and keep it civil amongst the frustration please chaps.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Systems are designed to accomodate players, surely even you can work that one out:whistle: You choose a system which best suits your players, clubs in the "top" divisions don't play 4-3-3 because it's the "best" system, they play it because it best suits the players at their disposal. In Tranmere's case 4-3-3 does not suit the players avaliable. I still don't see how what Barcelona play has any revelance to Tranmere, they have slightly more skilled players than us. Oh and we're not talking about purely systems either, I've never seen a team play a "McLaren" system or a "Zoom" one either.

Move on and find a new interest? Your seriously suggesting I should just not bother supporting Tranmere. Comments like that wont win you much interest from anyone else - you just look pathetic. Oh and I may have wound you up considering McLaren was apparently sent off, I may have not been there but I know that didn't happen, are you sure you were at the game on Saturday or you're even a Tranmere fan? (Telling fans to stop being fans suggests to me your not a Tranmere fan)

By the way Sonko I think a lot of us on hear are bored of your arsy comments that always claim your right about everything. If you had read my earlier posts you may have noticed I was making links between the system played and the players, not just purely talking about one subject or the other, but there you. I'm sure sonkotinted specticals will read something completely different from what I just wrote out and allow your keyboard to produce even more mindless drivel:cold:

P.S. The current european champions played 4-4-2 during their Champions League win, as well as 4-3-3 so saying all top european teams play 4-3-3 is wrong.

Again, no. Inter didn't play a traditional 4-4-2 vs Bayern, they had Eto'o playing from the right and Sneijder in advance of him behind Milito: 4-2-3-1.

Systems can be designed to accommodate players, well done. You issued a blanket statement suggesting that the 4-3-3 isn't conducive to keeping posession or playing with width. It's not really a question of me 'disagreeing', this statement is fundementally wrong. That's all I'm saying. I explained why and you started getting teary eyed and personal. I'm not really interested in any of that.

You can tell the standards required to get into University are lower than ever. Reading comprehension test, anyone?

Player
Goodison
Insert idiotic comments here

Nice dodging of the your not a Tranmere fan question by the way, you still havn't clarified whether you were actually there...

As for lowering University standards, I think you should stick to reading the Sun and the Daily Mail.

Anyway Sonko talking to you has to be one of the most tedious things you can do - you really are a pain.

Oh and 4-3-3 isn't useful at keeping possession or providing width when Tranmere play the system - if you read what I said rather than taking everything out of context you may have realised this. I think on a Tranmere fan site - most people will be referring to Tranmere when they make statements e.g. the negative aspects of 4-3-3 - not some random european teams. However your continous references to these "top" european teams suggests to me that you may not actually be a Tranmere fan, a hypothesis further supported by your "find a new interest" remarks.

M

Mal

good grief, let's stick to tranmere

for one thing, it's not a good idea to mention the reading standards of someone else, having written 'relevent' in a sentence. On the flip side, it is not worth rising to the bait of such comments. #-o;-)

As far as I am concerned, there are opinions. Both Sonkorly and roverstillIdie have valid points - nothing is completely black and white otherwise why would we play well with a certain formation one game and badly with the same formation in another game? There are a lot of factors involved - e.g., Brentford were probably motivated to get away from bottom position so tried harder than normal. Luck also pays a part - "if that shot had gone in"....

I didn't get to the game but from all accounts Tranmere played very badly, anyway.

Maybe we should look at history and make some money by betting on Tranmere to win against top teams and lose against bottom teams. It always seems to have happened with Tranmere teams.

As for Walsall, will they be motivated to avenge the previous defeat or will Tranmere be motivated to get off the bottom rung?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Quite simply - Lets all agree that last Saturday, for whatever the reason, we were rubbish and we hope this Saturday, we'll do better.

End of.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Quite simply - Lets all agree that last Saturday, for whatever the reason, we were rubbish and we hope this Saturday, we'll do better.

End of.

Well said Sparky. Echoed by myself is that. We are all Tranmere fans and everyone's opinion is valid. We won't always agree, but thats the beauty of the beautiful game. Keep the faith, SWA.