• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ronnie Leaves

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We did averachieve last season when you look at the squad we had, but at the end of the day, it's not good enough.

What a ridiculous contradiction? So overachievment isn't good enough? :-|

We're at our level. We probably have average turover for a team in this league - what is the idea that we should be playing a division higher founded upon?

lammy

Player
achterberg
confusing and bemused

I am gutted for Ronnie how can he blamed for attendance figures in this current climate, no money for players i feel he did a good job with what resources he had. i wish him all the best and beleive there is more to this than is being let out, funny how PJ returns as chairman and the club starts on the slippery slope. If we had a poll as to wether RM should still be manager im sure the supporters would back him 100%. good luck Ronnie with what ever you do next.

Blind Faith

Player
Ian Goodison
Over achieved! We missed out on the play-offs and that's now classed as an over achievement. Typical of the lack of ambition/belief that is almost fabled at Tranmere. We should expect more (no not Moore) and not be content with coming close in a crap division! The players/management have to earn the right to be in the championship-they don't have enough balls! So let's move on.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
The falling gates is just a smokescreen I believe for his departure. Those who understand the financial climate and the state of football at our level, that people aren't coming through the gates. Although at home we were one of the better sides, there's some really poor teams who play poor football, which doesn't make it a crowd pleaser really. Two decent sides giving their all makes a good spectacle and them games are few and far between. Plus we're in a great big recession so it doesn't make sense.

We can say we under achieved because we had a great home record and an atrocious away record and lost to some really poor teams when we should have won. Wins against them and we'd have finished in the play offs easily. I personally think we have some very good players for this level, but we didn't always get the best out of them on a consistent basis, home and away.

Hope Ronnie gets himself a new club cos he doesn't deserve to be out of work. He's one of us, and to have the club treat him like this is a bit pathetic. I support the football club and the football team, but am doubting if I support the owner and chairman at this moment in time. We thank Ronnie for this service to this club, both as a player, assistant manager and then gaffer. I wish you all the best Ron, you're welcome to come and join the SWA any time but wouldn't blame you if you didn't given the way the current owners have treated you.

Ronnie Ronnie Ronnie...

Player
Liam Palmer
If you believe the reasons the club are giving, then surely he should have been sacked the day after the Scunthorpe match?

No, there's something else going on here and I'll bet it has to do with a boardroom reshuffle, possibly with new investment tied to people who want 'their' people in to run things.

If Ronnie should have been sacked, it should have been a year ago. I feel sorry for him. He did well last season in near-impossible circumstances. Yes, much of the football was dire (especially away) but given the resources he achieved a miracle taking us to within 120 seconds of the play-offs.

Could be a lively old summer at Prenton Park....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I reckon RM and PJ had a huge bust up. Ronnie walked. He's a bit of a hot head..

Player
Goodison

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I reckon RM and PJ had a huge bust up. Ronnie walked. He's a bit of a hot head..

According to Ronnie, he was invited to meet PJ yesterday morning, expecting to discuss budgets/transfer targets. It was then that PJ told him he was sacked as he wanted the club to move in a new direction, but he didn't Ronnie him that attendences had anything to do with it at the time - he only found that out from other fans who had read the article on the OS.

Weird series of evens. PJ can do one like. If we get Barnes/McAteer in i'll be outraged, but I'm gonna wait and see before I go to OTT....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It doesn't alter the fact that Ronnie's sacking has been handled fairly ineptly & money to secure new signings will instead go to pay off his contract. The whole fiasco doesn't fill me with great confidence over the new boss + prefer the old PJ who gave Kingy ample time to build up a decent side

DixieDean

Surprised at the sacking and even more surprised at the "stated" reasoning behind it. Strange it's taken a month to sack him after our last game? Anyhow, as long as we are in League 1 our gates will continue to drop, due to an increasing lack of interest in such uninspiring matches. I've not been through the gates in two seasons. It bored me beyond belief and I have better things to spend my money on these days. I'll brace myself for flames from the die hards, but I'm not a die hard and never have been, so don't go getting upset.

I fancy Ince and Mathias to take us forward personally.

McAteer/Barnes are clueless.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Your post is interesting. I think our attendences are still suffering from the horrible football we played under Little and Watson, and even for large parts of Mathias reign (and the beginning of Ronnie's). Attendences take a while to rise and fall following success/failure, years even. Last season was superb - we had, I think, the best home record in the league? Can't argue with that as a fan! And at times we played some great stuff, scored some really good goals, dramatic last minute winners and beat most of the big teams...took it to the last day...last season has been the first time I've truly enjoyed watching Tranmere for a really long time. Even the season we finished 3rd, I found massivley frustrating. Brian Little ](*,)

I'm younger than many on here I think, so don't really remember the good old days of us rising up the leagues under JK, just remember the cup runs with Aldo and subsequent relegation. Think this will be my 11th season as a regular, but we've been going in the wrong direction for the vast majority of that time, and last season was the first time I actually felt like we were going forwards...even a little bit. So I have a lot of time for Ronnie and, now, a lot less for PJ.

You only need to look at Chester, Wrexham, Crewe and Stockport to see that he and Lorraine/Mick have done a really good job over the past few years of sustaining our reputation as a playoff-challenging league 1 team whilst still remaining safely within our means financially.

drwhoman

As an exile living in Australia I was as surprised as anyone by Ronnie's departure. However, if you think about the fact that Peter Johnson has been trying to sell Rovers for years it makes sense. He is owed about GBP6m? To be fair to him he could sell the ground to some low life property developer (anyone at Chester ring a bell?) but he has chosen not to - he does have some loyalty to the club.

Ronnie has done well with a tight budget and has created a team of hard working pros who have probably overachieved. If Goodison had been playing at Scunthorpe? - oh well such is life and Ronnie would probably still be in a job! However, a team of solid performers in Div One with declining attendances is no good to Johnson if he wants to sell for a decent price. Hence he brings in a youngish celeb Manager (McAteer) supported by an old professional (Matthias). The aim is presumably to attract a higher class of player, generate improved gates and get promotion. The club is then in a better position to be sold for a decent price to some Russian, Arab or whatever.

The downside is, of course, that Jason makes a complete hash of it and we struggle to avoid relegation next year! Look what happened to Crewe when Gradi retired the first time. It will be interesting to see what effect this move has on the out of contract players - Jennings and so forth. Depends on whether Johnson is putting up more dough or whether he expects the new Jt Mgrs to achieve on the back of the same budget Ronnie had. You wonder what Ronnie might have achieved with more money?

Oh well interesting times!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
It's kinda insignificant - Ronnie wouldn't have been sacked without a replacement already lined up....there will be no shortlist...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
If Ronnie was sacked for not attracting fans, will Accy Satnley's boss get folks buying season tickets??? mmmm... NO!:lol:

ianhaz2

If McAteer & Barnes get the job it'll be the last time i go to PP. It would be the hardest thing i've ever done as i love the club but i havent forgot the V's that Mcateer was giving all the Rovers fans when he was a Bolton player plus what has John Barnes ever done since his playing days apart from getting sacked by Celtic & Newcastle.

My ideal person to succeed would be David Kelly - been a number 2 at a few clubs now and i'm sure if offered would take the chance to become a full time manager. Also one of the most respected people in the game he would easily attract players to the club.

Other than that for me the only choice would be Paul Ince with Ray coming back as his number 2. Proven at lower league level with Macclesfield and MK Dons but given a rough time at Blackburn - possibly stepped up to the big league too early. Ray Mathias knows the club inside out so familiarality with the surroundings wouldnt be a problem.

I really hope PJ has got this right as Ronnie Moore was never a favourite with me but i do think that unless someone has already been lined up, which i believe they have, then this could potentially be a disaster season for TRFC.

drwhoman

I agree that PJ probably has someone in mind. Shirtliff went earlier last week which suggests it has all be carefully orchestrated. With Lorraine stepping down as well it made it easier to put the knife in. I was obviously wrong in thinking an appointment had been made - the tyranny of distance! However, as others have said on this blog, it has to be someone of substance or else it will be a long hard season. It does need someone with experience of the lower divisions and hence I would prefer PI over JB who was a celeb appointment at Celtic and did nothing there or since. PJ has shown he can be ruthless. Lets see if his new appointment is equally so aimed at getting out of Div One.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ronnie was as surprised as us when Shirtliff left for Swindon. Certainly looks like something has been going on behind the scenes. Seems like Ronnie had been kept in the dark for a while..

When first informed of his fate in a meeting with club owner and chairman Peter Johnson on Friday, Moore thought he was "being given the wind-up."

Moore said: “I thought we were going to have a conversation about where we were up to in preparations for next season, but unfortunately it was bad news instead. It came as a total surprise when you consider how well we performed last season.”

Player
Johnny Morrissey

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think your right Scoops. That article is written as if the contracts have already been signed! There's no mention of McAteer in that article but there are strong rumours of the JB/JM partnership..

Bad news for ianhaz2.