• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ricketts

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well at least we have a nice choice of strikers up front, something we haven't been able to say in a while.

And now you've all got to love Ricketts as we are now sponsoring his boots! lol

DWaltz

You cant say someone is capable from 1 game against League 2 opposition. Am not saying he wasnt capable because he needed more of a trial but for all we know he could have been asking for silly money or he could have an offer from down south nearer where he lives, there are a million reasons why saah might not have signed.

Also we have no idea how much ricketts is on, he could be on peanuts. Like I said last week all this we have got no budget left is just a way of trying to reduce what players are asking for in wages when we sign them. We have signed Ricketts and with Bain on the way plus we will sign a defender at some point like I keep saying and Barnes keeps saying he knows we need one but there is no point in signing anyone, got to be the right person for the right money. People need to be patient.

People are saying we have 6 strikers but do we have 6 strikers really? Gornell is not someone who can start every game in this division yet he is still a reserve player who should be sent out on loan. Curran I know has had injuries but he has only scored 3 goals since that hat trick against Brentford. Moore is very similar to Curran in terms of build. That leaves us with Ricketts as a big man seeing as Bas is not going to be actually MATCH FIT until at least April. Bain again I doubt will be on much because he is unproven and he will just want a chance of moving to England so he wont be on mega money.

There will be money there for defenders like I keep saying people think Barnes is thick. He wouldnt have signed Ricketts and want to sign Bain if that meant he had no money for defenders.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
For all of his hourly press-releases and newsbites, we have never heard a word from Barnes as to why, Saah, Oli or the Danish lad we had on trial weren't offered deals or didn't accept them. Or what type of defender will meet his extremely high standards. Such do not seem to have been applied to Ricketts, with his fitness problems. Gornell was loaned out to Accrington last season and did well, getting a few goals. He deserves the chance to show if he can deliver at this level. I had thought that one benefit of our slashed budget would be that the youngsters would get a better opportunity than recently, but it seems Barnes prefers a Stockport reject. The one area where they might have a chance of breakthrough, central defence, is ironically where our youth team is most bereft of talent. Finally Barnes has been in post long enough now to have made more headway on permenant defensive recruits. Lack of progress suggests he doesn't see it as a priority. That may come back to haunt him.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
While we'd all like a nice strong and solid defence, it doesn't look like it will be fully sorted until the end of August when the window slams shut. I think if we get Broomes and Goodison fit, they're a good first choice. Then we have some decent young players who can fill in as and when like Ash Taylor and the kid from Blackburn.

It's good that we have striking options aplenty, but how good an option are they really? I don't see Ricketts as improving the squad, more like just adding to it. Like the Grenadian lad too, although we know less about him. Quality over quantity I always say.

Trying to find some Michael Ricketts footage off youtube to share and boost confidence, but there's less on him than Kithson Bain!!!:-k

DWaltz

Barnes really cant win with some people can he.

What if he turned round in the press and said player A, B and C rejected us because they think they can do better or they didnt like our training ground or another reason.

You would be the first to say why is he telling people this? This will stop other players wanting to come. Its nobodys business why Barnes didnt sign them or why they rejected us. That is private business. There is obviously a reason, you jumping to conclusions saying barnes has stupidly high expectations is just idiotic. You dont have a clue why we didnt sign them like i said there are a million reasons why they might not have joined. Most reasons you wouldnt want to broadcast to the rest of the league and the press.

Barnes has been in the post long enough? What 6 weeks? the average transfer takes probably 10 days to 2 weeks to complete. Barnes has trialled 4 centre halfs plus we already have Ash Taylor and Goodison. How many different people do you want him to try? If there no good in his eyes then why sign him just for the sake of it? Your moaning about him wasting budget on strikers you say we dont need. but your saying he should waste it on any old centre half? seems hypocritical.

Hes tried to get Kelly and Shotton on loan and there parent clubs have been a bit yes and then no and then yes about them coming. We have been unlucky defensively. There really isnt much out there to sign. Barnes doesnt see it as a priority? Ive heard him say at least 4 times in the last month he is trying to sign a centre half. I also met him at a football festival that i was coaching at because he was special guest and he even joked then on the microphone doing a speech if he spots a good centre half today they can have a trial. so im pretty certain he does see it as a priority. surely its a good thing he is waiting to sign the right one? say we have got for example 1k a week left of our budget. we sign saah and have no wages left to spend. then someone offers us a better centre half on loan or a different player becomes available or gets offered to us who is better. then you would be saying "for god sake why did barnes waste the last of the budget on saah".

What is the difference Saah (Leyton Orient reject) and Ricketts (A stockport reject)? Ricketts has a better track record in his career than Saah.

Like I said we have 1 striker out for the season. Then one other experienced striker in Moore whos hardly prolific. Curran, Gornell between them have less than 50 league appearances with about 5 goals? Yet your saying we cant have a youthful backline with Ash Taylor? But we can have an unproven Gornell upfront? Why does he deserve a chance more than Ash Taylor? Your saying we can have Gornell alongside an experienced Moore but we cant have Gunning or Taylor alongside an experienced Goodison or Broomes? Wheres the logic in that?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm with Boz.

Would add that Barnes' excuse for not signing George Abbey was that "we couldn't afford to sign him". I highly doubt he was asking for more than Bain/Ricketts combined - Barnes seems to have no idea what's going on with his budget, or he's lying. Not sure which is worse.

DWaltz, Saah has played at this level for 2 seasons. He has a lot of experience for his age and many Orient fans were disappointed to see him leave the club at the end of last season. Give me him over another bloody striker any day, we can't play 2-2-6 so we do need more defenders.

The situation is utterly ridiculous. Our squad is bizarrely lopsided. Budget is small and we're wasting money on players we don't need. Maybe Barnes has been "unlucky":cry: :-({|= let's get the violins out. My season ticket subsidises his wages and I retain the right to expect better than this nonsense.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Since abbey was let go we have sold andy taylor for £400,000 so the budget has probably increased with some of that money. We just have to trust the judgement of JB but im not convinced ricketts will stay fit enough to contribute enough to the team but i hope to be proven wrong.

M

Mal

I think Dwaltz has some good points there. We need to give Barnes a chance. At least we appear to have eradicated 'quantity hoof' football since he arrived. Midfield looks better than last season in my opinion. We relied too much on Kay-as-a-closet-forward-really with a workhorse-Jennings then. I am not sure on Rickets but Moore picked a few plonkers to whom we just paid wages without many appearances, so mistakes can be made by any manager. Time will tell but if Rickets does become useful to the team, I hope everyone here will recognise that.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
DWaltz, it does make me (being polite) very annoyed when you start putting words into my mouth. I've no problem with Ash Taylor in central defence, indeed I wouldn't mind him starting ahead of Gunning if Gavin's loan spell has no prospect of extension. However he played midfield last season and I assume that's his best spot. Curran's got about 10 goals for Rovers, a decent strike rate imo. Gornell just the one, but did get goals on loan. Ricketts was released by Walsall, trialled by Stockport over the summer and not deemed good/fit enough to get a deal with them. Given issues about his fitness, if Barnes thought him neccessary, why not offer him similar terms to Broomes? Personally don't see the need and would rather keep his money in the hope of more funds for getting a defender in. Mal, I'll be delighted if Ricketts proves to be a goal machine, just don't see it.